Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How should I quilt my latest quilt

How should I quilt my latest quilt

Hello!

This is a quilt I did for my youngest grandaughter. I have my quilt sandwich ready and now for the hard part. lol

Honestly, this is not where I excel. I have experience with two quilts where I did a meandering with my free motion foot. They turned out ok. I have also done wavy lines with my walking foot. I liked that one. Then I tried doing loops with my free motion foot and it was a disaster. Then I tried stitch in the ditch and I didn't like it very much either.

I thought about trying horizontal lines with my walking foot. I also thought about a meandering stitch in the white blocks and stitch in the ditch the rest. Or maybe the "x" stitch, I can't remember what it's called. I'm tired and my brain is not working.

Can I get some suggestions about an easy quilting ideas? I am pretty proud of my piecing and don't want to ruin it.

Thanks!

Janan
    Name:  IMG_2745.JPG
Views: 1533
Size:  158.1 KBName:  IMG_2744.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  173.2 KB
    SaveSave

Blog Entries
    I've done continuous line quilting with my walking foot. the green star points could be done with curves along the straight sides of the points in one continuous sewing. then onto another section. like this. draw on paper until you figure out how you want to go. i like simple easy quiltings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A lovely quilt that I am sure your granddaughter will love, no matter what quilting you go with.

I'll add another stitch possibility, that you might like to try .... use the edge of your foot, as your guide and stitch the width of the foot to the needle inside or outside the seam lines, or both. You can do that selectively, to keep with the design you have created.

As an added note, and I hope you don't mind my speaking up on this.
    I know I would want you to tell me.
    It looks to me as though your upper right 4P needs to be turned a 1/4 turn.
    It'll be fiddly to correct, but not that hard to frog stitch that area.
    You'll be glad you took the time now, rather than discovering later, when it is too late.

Good Luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Thank you Nativetexan (so am I)! I may try that! Especially if I practice drawing it first. Then I will probably practice on a scrap square. QuiltE, I absolutely love your stitch idea. But I'm afraid I would mess it up. Not every seam is perfect and I don't know what to do if I run into an imperfect line. I saw that 4P also. Ugh! It's not perfect, like Nana is not perfect. Thanks for pointing it out though. I always appreciate help whenever I can get it.

I've seen a few quilts with echoing on the triangles. They looked great.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    My suggestion would be to use a walking foot to make straight line crosshatching, but with the lines at irregular intervals. Easy to do, and somewhat modern. I wish I could find a photo of the example I am thinking of, but I must have misfiled it in my Pinterest. These Google images might give you other ideas for your walking foot:
    https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=close

Quote Originally Posted by Janan View Post
    Thank you Nativetexan (so am I)! I may try that! Especially if I practice drawing it first. Then I will probably practice on a scrap square. QuiltE, I absolutely love your stitch idea. But I'm afraid I would mess it up. Not every seam is perfect and I don't know what to do if I run into an imperfect line. I saw that 4P also. Ugh! It's not perfect, like Nana is not perfect. Thanks for pointing it out though. I always appreciate help whenever I can get it.
    You can do it ... it won't be all that hard to get the 4P re-oriented and you will be happier for the long run. You know how we always "see" that one thing and it bugs us!

As for the stitching, your seams look pretty darned straight and those points are definitely pointy!
    So pat yourself on the back and take pride in the job you have done.

For the quilting, whatever you choose, you'll do fine.
    Here's a hint ..... take a photo of your quilt, as straight on as possible and print it out a few times.
    I doodle on them to help me figure out where and what I want to quilt.
    It also helps me figure out if there is going to be something that just will not work.
    Plus of course, a preview of what I want it to be like when finished.

It's a sweet quilt .... which I am guessing is for a sweet DGD!

What a lovely quilt!!!
    I'm new at FMQ so I don't have any ideas but I love the quilt.

Thank you, QuiltE! SusieQOH, I have a white and silver persian and she looks similar to yours!

Thank you, QuiltE! SusieQOH, I have a white and silver persian and she looks similar to yours!
    Janan- This was our sweet Mabel. She left us in 2014 at the age of 15. She was such a wonderful girl!!!

Beautiful quilt, however you decide to quilt it will only make it better.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

You're Welcome Janan! ... now Go For It ... and quilt up a storm, so you can have it finished for your DGD!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like this quilt! I also like NativeTx idea on the continuous curves with your walking foot--draw out the basic design and draw it out and you may actually be able to do it without stops and starts. Can a chalk line will rub out easily and also help you be consistent. As for the border--I'd do those wiggly lines you mentioned--maybe one in the white and 2 in the color strips.

Okay, gotta first say I adore this happy little quilt, from the birds to the colors to the fabrics to the piano keys border. Your little granddaughter is going to love it, love it!

Here's what I'd probably do if it were my quilt. Keep in mind, I don't have a whole lot of experience, but one thing I've learned is that to get better, you have to practice, and it's a lot easier to practice with bravery on a child's quilt. SHe will love you and never even notice the flaws. She will see how cute all your thread drawing is.

My plan as I'm looking at it now:

1. Echo around the birds in such a way that it makes a heart shape (not around the outside of all feathers. That way, a heart will show up in the center of the back. Fun for a child (and adult!) discover . Then straight line around the edges about 1/4 inch in (not in the ditch). Think "box around the heart".

2. Make one big daisy in each big white square. Box it in.

3. Do those crescents from corner to corner (see nativetexan's picture) on just about all your triangles. The curves add a gentle look to the hard lines of squares and triangles.

4. In the border, wiggly lines side to side in each dark fabric. Connected hearts and flowers in the white ones.

I like to practice on paper first, and mark my large designs with Crayola Ultra Washable markers on the quilt before I start.

It's really nice!
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Avantť

Be brave! Go for it. Several nice ideas have been presented. I think the suggestion for taking a picture, printing several copies and doodling on them is great. Your quilt is beautiful and quilting will enhance it. I personally like the gentle curves in the example above. It is graceful and softens the angles of the piecing. Please show us what you decided to do when you finish the quilting process.

Blog Entries
    Wow, Zozee really posted some great suggestions and I think Nativetexan’s would work wonderfully if you didn’t feel comfortable with some of the FMQ zozee mentioned.

I just wanted to chime in how much I enjoy the pattern and fun fabrics in your quilt and your DGD is sure to love it.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    Be brave! Go for it. Several nice ideas have been presented. I think the suggestion for taking a picture, printing several copies and doodling on them is great. ...........
    Thanks QuilterPurpleDog!
    Sometimes I surprise myself as the doodling helps me figure out a quilting pattern different to what I would have done if I had just started with the machine. And this might be FMQing or straight line or perhaps a combo.

Too, it helps me see the "stitch-route" that I might be able to take, to have the least breaks in thread.

I don't know how many times I have quilted something and part way through have the great aha moment of, "oh darn, if I had gone here and then here and here and ..... I could have done it continuously!" The fewer burials I have to do, the better!

Thank you all for the wonderful encouragement and suggestions. It makes my heart warm to read your sweet replies. I just happened to find a cardboard insert that came with some sheets of paper I bought. The design on the advertisement had the perfect arch just the size I needed for the quilt squares. I cut it out and plan on using it for a template! Yippee! Where can I find the rub away chalk to draw the design? Can I find it at Walmart? I live in a little town and that's my only choice for local shopping.

I'm excited to start! I needed an idea of what to do on the border stripes, so thank you!

Blog Entries
    I like NativeTexan's idea. Whenever I do a very linear quilt, I like to use a curvy quilting line. Doing a bit of a 'circle' allows you to gently go from corner point to next corner point and not worry if they aren't exact. It also allows you to go the length of the top before turning around. Great quilting design for a beginner. For the borders, you could do a bit of something in each strip or just go the length of each border with a couple wavy lines (parallel to the binding). Then, when you feel more confident, add a little something in the center of the larger plain squares. It could be something as simple as a diamond or as fancy as you feel comfortable trying. BTW - It is a wonderful top, I'm sure she will be very happy with it for a very long time!

Thank you, klswift! I like the idea of a simple diamond in the center of the large plain squares. I will experiment with that!

You guys are great!

Blog Entries
    your quilt looks great and I am sure you will do a good job at quilting it.

Plain chalk works fine and washes out. No need for special chalk. Itís really easy to free motion those arches, though, once youíre in a rhythm. Practice on a quilt sandwich about 20x20. Draw big boxes and sew curves from corner to corner. Gloves are a must..... garden gloves that have a bit of grip will work okay. HIntó sometimes going faster works better than slower on a curve.
    Last edited by zozee; 01-19-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Janan: Your quilt is perfect and sweet for a DGD. You did a great job and I know whatever you quilt will be admired by her as well. Please show us your finished quilt before you gift it. We all love show and tell.

No advice from me, but the quilt top is beautiful!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast