Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to stop "folding" while quilting >

How to stop "folding" while quilting

How to stop "folding" while quilting

Old 12-14-2015, 05:33 AM

Check the presser on the foot. I have had that happen when I am quilting with a walking foot and I reduced the presser foot a little and that helped.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:39 AM

I use painters tape to hold my backing fabric in place on my table and then I place the batting and then the quilt top.....I also DO NOT use pins but instead I use basting spray to hold in place the layers.....happy holidays
Old 12-14-2015, 06:33 AM

I too use Elmer's SCHOOL GLUE and haven't had a pucker since (however now that I've mentioned it I probably will)

If it's a large quilt, I even cut the batting in half and sew it together when I get one part done. I use a domestic sewing machine and an old style walking foot.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
I find if I spread my hands out and push out that pucker I can avoid most of them. I watch to see if they're coming and try to ease the fabric back under the foot.
This is what I try to do. When I'm getting close to crossing that seam, I try to push it flat with my hands.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Pin basting is drudge work for me. I use Elmer's school glue. That quilt top and backing aren't moving a smidgen. No puckers, wrinkles, or pleats.
Have you tried this using polyester batting?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kjackson View Post
You mean regular white Elmer's glue? Doesn't that gum up your machine? And do you wait for it to dry completely?
as above posters said Elmer's WASHABLE school glue and no it does NOT gum up the needle if you let it dry. You can speed up the process by ironing. I've used this many times with zero problems.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by kjackson View Post
Hello,

I am working on a crib quilt for my grandson. Even though I pinned it real well, and am using a walking foot, I still get this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537967[/ATTACH]

Any advice on how to avoid this? Besides going very slowly and using a stilletto?

Thanks,
Hi Karen,
When you get areas of fullness when quilting with the walking foot, "feed" it toward the foot. Smooth it with your fingers toward the walking foot. Next time you're basting your quilt make sure that your quilt top lays flat and smooth. You might need to pin more too, depending on if you're using a poly batting. I like cotton batting because it creeps less.
Sharon in Texas
Old 12-14-2015, 09:27 AM

I stopped having that problem when I learned to baste the layers together using Elmer's school glue. When you glue baste, you will have ugly lines of dried glue showing through, don't worry about them, they wash right out, and you can sew right through it no problem.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

One thing I have not seen anyone mention... By the look of the picture you are on the very edge of the quilt out in your border area. Did you measure your quilt through the center and then cut your border to that measurement? Or did you have a long strip of prepared border (even pieced) that you sewed to the edge of your quilt then cut off once you reached the edge?
If the latter, this method often results in wavy borders with excess fabric. The excess has no place to go and often results in pleats like you pictured. Your pleat almost looks like that is what may be contributing to your problem.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:13 AM

cindi gave you good advice.