Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to store fabrics? >

How to store fabrics?

How to store fabrics?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:23 AM

I store mine in clear plastic containers in the closet. Have not had a problem with that BUT I haven't even thought about refolding. Good question to bring up. Will be looking for more responses to this.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:16 PM

where doyou get the wood chips?
Old 01-01-2011, 01:47 PM

I refold them according the yardage of the piece and they are neatly stored in cabinets in my "sewing" (family) room. The one's that don't fit into the cabinets (because they are totally full) are neatly put into Large clear Rubbermaid totes and are in the garage, right outside my Sewing room. I do not go back and refold them again and again. I just press out the creases
Old 01-01-2011, 05:18 PM

I have my fabric wrapped onto acid-free boards & stored in bookcases out of direct sunlight. I sort them by size (FQ, 1/2 yd, 1 yd, > 1yd) and then by color.

I do keep my FQ in plastic bins, but they get so much usage I don't worry about mildew or bugs.

I do use starch on my fabrics and haven't had issues with bugs, but then I only starch when I press them for a project, not before.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:23 PM

I started off using a shoe bag storage that hangs in my closet. Didn't have much fabric to start with, I'm a September quilting newbie. Fast forward to date, I have an abundance of fabric in that thing, some in a laundry basket and some in a plastic container. Maybe a good idea to keep the bolts and wrap some fabric around it. I did that with my green fabrics.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:09 PM

I use the clear storage bins stacked in the closet as well. So far, so good - no problems or issues. Mine are sorted by color and occasion (Christmas, animal, sports, etc).
Old 01-01-2011, 08:14 PM

I know alot of people like to organize by color and I keep mine folded and refold when I get a piece out to look at it. SO many ideas so little time!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 PM

I went to Ikea and bought some of their cutesy storage boxes. I used the DVD sized ones for stacks of fat quarters and it's also a good size for my regular sewing patterns. Then they had some cardboard containers that are like office boxes, but shorter and longer. I have some in those too. I'm still at a loss with what to do with the larger sections of fabric I have. They're still on the bolt for now though.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by JulieM
Why are we not supposed to use storage bins?
JulieM
Plastic and cotton don't get along; don't ask me why. I store my fat quarters in metal file cabinets under my big table. Then my larger pieces of fabric are in my floor to ceiling closets with bi-fold doors kept closed. I use the ruler fold method so there aren't any sharp creases to deal with, and do refold from time to time. I do have some pieces in plastic bins but they are mostly jelly rolls and charm squares that get used up more frequently. If I got rid of some of the "excess" I wouldn't have to store in plastic bins. :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 AM

I have an unused dresser that mine are in - hadn't thought about refolding though. Thanks for the tip