Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to store fabrics? >

How to store fabrics?

How to store fabrics?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 AM

With the economy down there is a lot of used business furniture available. I use a credenza I got for free and hang my fabric on the hanging folders. The drawers are organized by color and I can see what I have. The top of the credenza holds lots of other stuff like projects, my printer, and my music system.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:22 PM

I'm lucky to have a walk in closet for my fabric. I saw in a magazine where someone used a 6 inch plastic ruler and wrapped their fabric around it, pulled it out and folded it in half. It looks really nice and very organized. It's a big help when you're looking for something special.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:43 PM

I have lots of yardageon cardboard rolled up like the fabric store - but I now find that this takes up too much room. I am in the process of unwinding the bolts and using the ruler folding method and I can get tons more fabric on each shelf. Smaller than a yard goes into bins by color. Then I also have bins per project as I collect it specially marked. I sat last night and watched a movie and reorganized colors from piles on shelves into plastic bins. I like the 26 or 28 gallon size that are not as high and I can stack two on one shelf. But it took me a long time to find the right size that fits. A never ending process.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 PM

i KEPT MY FABRIC FOR YEARS ON BOLTS. nOW i HAVE FOUND THAT AT THE THIN EDGE I GOT WHITE LINES FROM THE CARDBOARD BOLT.
NOW I USE THE PLASTIC FOLDING BOARDS. I GOT THEM AT POLARNOTIONS.COM
THEY ARE A BIT EXPENSIVE BUT THEY LAST FOREVER SO I DECIDED THAT THEY WERE A GOOD INVESTMENT.
I NOW HAVE MY STASH FOLDED ON THESE BOARDS AND HAVE THEM STANDING LIKE BOOKS IN A GLASS FRONT BOOKSHELF.
KJYM KATHY
Old 01-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Large pieces of fabice say 3 yards I ask for empty carboard rolls from Joanne's. Some ones I cut the boards in half and put smaller cuts on them . My fat quarters I roll them and and secure with thin ribbion and place in a basket. I find that this prevents creases in them that are hard to iron out. Hope this helps you with your storage of fabrics.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:57 PM

Before I moved here I used those throwaway plastic pants hangers from clothing and hung it in a closet. I could see it all and it stayed neater than the folds and stacks I use now but I have a smaller closet and got rid if the hangers.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:04 PM

if you have extra closet space hang your large pieces on pants hangers. they work great especially the ones that hold 3 or 4 pair of pants.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:06 PM

I fold mine on a 6 X 24 ruler. Then fold them in half. No matter what size your fabric is, they are all the same size. I have not yet sorted them in to 1/2 yds, yds & over yet but have thought about it. It took a lot of time & patience but has paid off twice over for me. I also keep an air freshener in mine too so they smell so good when they come out!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152260.jpe  
Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM

I had came across some fabric upstairs that had been stored in plastic totes for 10 years or more. I took it out, washed it and there seems to be no problems with it when I sew with it. Am I missing something? Should something be wrong with the fabric?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Love your storage unit. It is so neat. Looks so pretty seing all of the colors. You did a great job.