Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How/why did you start quilting? >

How/why did you start quilting?

How/why did you start quilting?

Old 01-14-2016, 09:16 AM

After I painted the inside of the house and found out what custom curtains cost, I got a book from the library and made the curtains myself. I'd never had so much fun -- sending for swatches, taking pictures, handling the fabric. When I was done, I looked at the bag of 1/4 yard pieces I'd bought to audition for the third bedroom curtains (which has since become my sewing room), and realized they all went together really well; I thought, I could make a quilt! So I began reading quilting books from the library and realized it was the perfect pursuit for someone who enjoyed working with fabric and color. (I didn't realize it wasn't the best idea to learn hand-quilting on thick home decor fabrics, lol, but I persevered.)
Old 01-14-2016, 09:19 AM

I'm really not sure how it started. Boredom I guess. Now I have hardly any time to quilt but I plan to make some as I love it!
Old 01-14-2016, 09:30 AM

I was taught to do simple hand sewing by my mom when I was little and then later I was taught how to work on a machine. In high school I took a sewing class and one of the projects I could choose to do was make a quilt. The first quilt I made was for my choir teacher (who was like a second mother to me). Anyway, the rest is history. I've been making quilts for about 6-7 years so far.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

I started making yo yos when I was 7 because my grandma was doing it. She gave me fabric for it.
I sewed them together into blocks to make a quilt.I went head first into it when I was 15,(40 yrs ago), because I saw one in a magazine and wanted the quilt but couldn't afford it. I used my babysitting money to buy the fabric for it. I was hooked on it ever since. Haven't found a cure for it yet so i'll continue to do it.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:43 AM

I started sewing my clothing when I was in middle school. It was a matter of finances--I got more clothing that way. Then I got married and 3 years later I had 3 little girls. Sewing their dresses was my hobby. They took their naps and I sewed--usually matching dresses. I got so many compliments and that gave me a lot of satisfaction. It didn't hurt that my girls were so cute. A few years later I discovered quilting. My first quilt was a gift for a new baby. I didn't know anything and I'm sure the quilt showed it. I didn't make another quilt for several years, but I was soon off and running. I think I have been quilting for 20-25 years, and I hope my skills have improved. lol My daughters have all grown up and think my sewing skills are wonderful--I won't tell them any different (they don't sew) and we added a son to the mix several years later. These wonderful children have given us 5 grandchildren and a couple of stepgrands and the frosting on the cake a step GGD. My cup is running over. More little ones to quilt for !!!
Sue
Old 01-14-2016, 10:06 AM

The Spanish class I was attending post-retirement folded (we learn French in school) so I signed up for a sewing class instead, even though I didn't know how to thread a machine.

A few weeks in I bought a sewing magazine to and saw an advert for 'Seattle Quilt Company' (lady that owned it was from Seattle) upstairs from my local grocery store. I went in looking for fabric, saw the quilts and immediately signed up for for a beginners quilting class.

Never did finish the shorts I was making and still have no dressmaking skills.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:16 AM

My great aunt had made a quilt that I had on my bed when I was a child. It had appliqued cat on a white background with the old cotton bat that wadded up some. I just loved that quilt and promised myself that I would make a quilt when I grew up. Well, in my 30's I took a class and that was the beginning of it. I've looked around forever to find that cat design and have given up. Did find a book at a quilt show that was just cat applique and there is a very similar one in there that I will use. But I wonder if it would not do justice to my memory.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:00 AM

I watched my DM and DGM quilt all my life and started sewing in 4 H at nine years old. When I married in 1957 the first thing I bought was my 401A while DH was serving overseas. DM had not quilted in several years as she was a nurse and didn't have much free time. She took it up again in 1969 and got me started and I never looked back. I have had a quilt in progress from then until now I have given away all I have made but one lap quilt I made from the scraps from some I loved most. I have one started for DD and after I finish that one I am going to make some just for me.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:06 AM

I've been sewing since making doll clothes and was making lined suits in 9th grade while the class made aprons. My sister got me into quilting when I retired from 30 yrs. of teaching in 1996. She lost her battle with colon cancer 4 yrs. later and I started sending her vast quilt book collection all over the world. I have made so many quilty friends doing this.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

I always sewed. whether it was simple curtains, some of my own clothes, halloween costumes for my kids when they were little. One day before work I came upon Alex Anderson's show and watched it every day while I ate breakfast. It never occurred to me to try it. I didn't tell anyone, just because,well, it was me and the cereal and Alex. Then 12 years ago I retired. One son said to me "Now that you are retired you can make me a quilt" What? "I don't quilt" He said "well, you are retired so you can learn". So I looked around and as luck would have it, found a quilting class through the parks department of where we lived. I met some wonderful friends and the teacher couldn't have been better for me. Except my very first quilt was a flannel trip around the world. I had sewed on flannel before so that didn't seem odd. The quilt turned out fine and my granddaughter who is 12.5 still has it on her bed, covered with a bigger quilt. Then I made the quilt for my son. I had seen someone on Alex's show who made a quilt with large ultra suede squares and if they are placed with the nap going different ways it gives a nice texture. I couldn't find the video of that program and couldn't find ultra suede in the budget but did find a kind of knit with some of the same features. It was a challenge because it was slippery, but, the top came out fine and I backed it with the same fabric and used fleece as a batting. I stitched it in the ditch (did have to wrestle it through some parts) on a Costco version Brother mechanical machine (which turns out is my favorite machine even though I have a collection of nice vintage ones too). He was thrilled with it. After those two challenges, I have mostly made cotton quilts except for the flannel and chenille one I made for the youngest grandson who is now almost 8 and he calls it his "triangle quilt" (talk about the mess the chenille made) and it is still on his bed under a big whole cloth quilt I made him from chambray and cut embroidered bugs off his crib dust ruffle and appliquéd them on with invisible thread. that was a huge challenge. He loves both of them. My daughter in law thinks I can do anything, which is nice, but I really can't, but she is pleased with it all. I took a class on hand piecing, which I don't love, but then decided to hand quilt and I did a few by hand which I enjoy but right now can't get my act together to put one together to hand quilt. so now we moved to a house where I have my own room which is bright and sunny and I don't have any quilting mojo at the moment. I know it will return.