Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How/why did you start quilting? >

How/why did you start quilting?

How/why did you start quilting?

Old 01-14-2016, 06:09 PM

My mother gave me sewing phobia and I almost flunked the sewing portion of home economics. I saw very few quilts in my early life so there was no connection there. When I was in my early 30's my 6 year old son pulled a horrible looking quilt top out of a box at a flea market and asked if he could have it. We paid $1.00 and took it home. I bought a roll of batting in a bag and yarn from Walmart, found a flannel sheet and together we tied the quilt. Miraculously the top stayed together when washed it. The quilt was dubbed the ugly quilt and when someone was sick they took the quilt with them to bed. That got me started on quilting. It was a rough, tear-stained road for the first few years. I quickly learned I didn't want to hand stitch because I was to impatient. DH bought me a sewing machine and I struggled to find my way. I am so very glad I didn't give up! Even after 30 years I tell people who ask if I'll make them a quilt that I can't create what they would expect because I am not a great seamstress. I recently finished the first quilt that I would show another quilter. Quilting is my only craft activity. I quilt as an expression of my soul, because it makes me happy and I love the process.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:14 PM

I have been sewing since high school when I made clothes for myself, my sisters, and my mother and father. After retiring, I spent every spare minute smocking and making garments for my granddaughter. By the time I was 75, my granddaughter was getting too old for the smocked dresses. I needed a new hobby. I decided to try quilting. Now, five years later, I am truly addicted. If I have as much as 5 minutes of free time, I am in my sewing room. I love being able to give beautiful quilts to my friends. Recently, my daughter adopted her three foster children. Now I have three new granddaughters for whom I can make quilts. Quilting is my favorite hobby ever! By the way, most of what I know about quilting, I learned here. Thanks to everyone who contributes to the Quilting Board.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:21 PM

I've been sewing for 35 years and I always thought a quilt had to be made by hand. When I found out you could make one with a sewing machine from start to finish I was in. I couldn't wait to get started and this board was the best place to learn how to make a nice quilt.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:56 PM

Way, way back in the early internet days (Prodigy/GEnie--- anybody remember?) I accidentally stumbled into a group of really cool people. The nicest, most caring, friendly, welcoming -- go figure -- they were quilters! So I decided I had to try my hand at quilting just so I could be a part of such a great group. Just piddled a bit back then... block exchanges (mine poorly done but no one ever complained), fabric swaps. Then GEnie sold the board and the group split up. I didn't try quilting again for quite a few years, but I had caught the bug. And you know what? Quilters are still the nicest, most caring, friendly and welcoming folks ever.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:02 PM

My DM and DGM thread crocheted, sewed, and did whatever the seasonal craft was. Anyone remember shellaciking pictures on boards? I sewed in Girl Scouts and 4H, sewed some clothes in HS, made my first quilt during my senior year. It was a baby quilt for my nephew. I traced coloring book pages with a transfer pencil, colored them with crayons, ironed it to set it, then tied it. Made my first full size quilt for my best friend in the early 90's. It was a friendship quilt. I am currently working on the Charming Addition pattern for my math teacher niece.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:16 PM

Woman's Day magazine had an article on making a quilt in one weekend! Ha-Ha! And that was my very first quilt I made, but it took me longer than a weekend. It was a quilt as you go log cabin and I was so excited to make it. That was in the late 70's. I had been sewing clothes for my sister & myself since I was 12 and loved it. I made a bedspread (lined) and matching pinch pleat lined ceiling to floor, full width of the wall drapes for my bedroom at age 16. My Mom was a fabulous sewer, but never did a quilt. By the time I did my first quilt, I had two small children. I did make another quilt out of leftover fabric from dressmaking. I didn't make another quilt until the 90's. Made two queen sized quilts - one for my sister and one for our bed. Also made a twin size quilt for my mother after she went into a nursing home. Didn't make anymore until the early 2000's. Only did a few baby quilts, but the bug bit me really hard in 2010 and now I just can't stop!! I love the creativity of it all. Sewing has always been very relaxing for me, but quilting is even more so. Whether it's a small project or a large one, I'm in love with quilting!
Old 01-14-2016, 07:35 PM

I took up quilting just as my last child left home. I used a book of "Teach yourself to Quilt" that was a sampler. It had applique, piecing, and even some English Paper Piecing (I think). To this day I have not finished hand quilting that quilt. I was definitely hooked.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:27 PM

Thank you to all who have shared their stories. I have enjoyed reading them all. I love all the history, in families and starting young. I've done most everything you all have shared, but the quilting starting sitting in the hospital waiting for babies to be born as a nurse midwife. I still enjoy hand applique and hand quilting, but have learned the machine side as well and now love the machine embroidery piece. Now that I have moved, memberships in local quilting guilds have helped me make new friends and find new sewing challenges.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:33 PM

My Mom and 4 H taught me garment and home dec sewing, fast forward to the '80's when my sister was having my niece. I made her a bonnet, dress and coordinating baby quilt. Fast forward again to my grandson's 3rd birthday, and a room with a fish theme and my second quilt was a fishy wall hanging! Haven't stopped since, absolutely love it! My grandmother was a quilter, wish I had started when she was still with us, but my Mom was thrilled I was picking up the torch!

Last edited by Cybrarian; 01-14-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:49 PM

I've sewn since I was 5 or 6. Started watching my mom make t-shirts for my uncle, brother and myself and I had to try - they weren't pretty but they got done and I got better. Learned to crochet while I was down with the chicken pox. Made most of my shirts through Jr. High, High School and College and then moved into my first very own place. Couldn't afford drapes and tablecloths, so I learned to make them with fabric from thrift stores and clearance tables. Always helped my Great-Grandparents with quilts when they watched us - cutting scraps or burying knots and clipping threads and then being trusted with actually assembling blocks.
I've since done upholstery, drapery, bedding, and any other home dec you can think of as well as dressmaking, tailoring and made my own tuxedo.
Started my first quilt in the mid 80's, a lone star, and put it away once 6 of the 8 points were done...finished it in 91 and haven't stopped since.