Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How/why did you start quilting? >

How/why did you start quilting?

How/why did you start quilting?

Old 01-14-2016, 02:12 PM

Like many of you, I sewed all my life. Much more than my Sister ever did. A coworker of hers taught her to quilt. She told me if she could do that then I could. Made sense to me. The rest is history. Best times are when we can get together to quilt whether on the same project or separate
Old 01-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I wanted to make a comfort quilt to send to a friend who got breast cancer. I enjoyed making her quilt so much that I was hooked. So in the end, I gave her a small gift but she gave me a huge one.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:51 PM

I had taken Home Economics in junior high and we did a few sewing projects. Also tried my hand at garment sewing over the years, but was not really good at it. I started about 4 years ago, when my daughter decided she was going to make herself a quilt for her college dorm room. I decided I would make a quilt at the same time so if she had any questions I would know what she was talking about. That was about 48 quilts ago! I probably average a quilt a month. I love fabric and the unlimited color/pattern combinations. When I was in High School, I wanted to be an artist. Took all kinds of art classes. some of the stuff was OK, but I really had to apply myself. I knew deep down I would never really be an artist-I just did not have a natural talent. So when I started quilting it was like 30 years of bottled up creativity had finally found an outlet. Now, I just wish I had more time :-)
Old 01-14-2016, 03:13 PM

I love to learn how to do stuff. I've learned soap-making (I have very dry skin and was looking for a soap that wouldn't dry it out and heard cold processed soap was great) , chain mail, embroidery, tole painting, oil painting, crochet, etc... I've always loved fabric. I'd buy some and had no idea what to do with it, I just loved handling it. So this summer, I figured it was time to learn to sew. Well, after a bunch of skirts and shirts and such, what to do? I was going to be overrun with clothing in no time. So I thought quilting would channel my sewing into something creative and useful. Plus it makes me feel closer to my grandmother who has passed away. She was a quilter.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:13 PM

I caught "the bug" from coworkers who quilted. We did a friendship block swap quilt which was fun. After retirement, first made a t-shirt quilt and then really "got serious." Twenty years into it, am still learning.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:53 PM

I sewed clothes for my daughters when they were young and did a lot of handstitching, embroidery, crewel, needlepoint. I hand quilted (if that's what it could be called) a length of fabric matching what my DD was using in her nursery. By that time, my hands were becoming so crippled by arthritis that I could no longer hold a needle. My DD suggested I try machine quilting. So that's what I've been doing for the past 19 years. It's becoming more difficult, but I'll enjoy working with beautiful fabrics and colors as long as my hands hold up.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:58 PM

My DGGM taught me to do crewel an embroidery by hand when I was young and also crochet. No sewers/quilters in our family. I taught my self how to sew back in the 70's and made some of my clothes, then made clothes for my daughter until she wanted to sit on my lap while I sewed. Didn't sew for 25 years and then jumped in and made drapery panels for our bedroom. I tried hand quilting years ago but didn't enjoy it so cross stitched instead. I think I got interested in quilting when I saw the newer, modern patterns. As I debated about retiring and knowing I needed a hobby to satisfy my creative side, I decided to quilt and decided to give my quilts to those in need as a way of giving back. Retired 1 1/2 yrs ago, bought a new machine (Juki F00), fabrics, made a strip quilt and fell in love with quilting. I keep saying I'm going to take a class on quilting so I can learn more. HA.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:47 PM

I started making tied quilts when I was 10-11 years old the first one was a crazy quilt to use up scraps my mother had been saving (if it was over an inch square she saved it). these were fun and functional my first pieced quilt was "Stairway to Paris". I am now 67 so that was awhile ago now I do pieced blocks and hand quilt. Nothing special but it keeps me off the streets as they say.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:08 PM

I took a class at our local Joann's on making the Log Cabin. I had two grandsons graduating from High School that spring and decided it would make a neat gift. When my first grandson was born a seasoned grandmother gave me some sage advice - " Remember, what ever you do for this child, you need to do for all the others that follow."
Little did I know that we would have 15 grandchildren - 8 down, 7 to go. I love to see the joy when they get them.
Love quilting. I have made 3 wall hangings for DH with the grands and greats on them and a " Michigan" quilt.
What a wonderful way to spend my retirement.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:28 PM

I have sewn since I was ten. In 1999 I took a quilt class with my DDL. Two grandsons were graduating that spring and the "Log Cabin" quilt seemed like a good gift. Little did I know that there would be 13 more grand kids. So far 8 quilts have been made with 7 to go. Love putting all my love into them. Quilting is a wonderful way to spend my retirement.
I have made DH 3 wall hangings with the kids photos at different ages. I made him a "Michigan" quilt that is my proudest work.