Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you want someone to react?

Blog Entries
    If I received a hand made quilt that someone took the time to search for fabric, took the time to stitch the blocks, took the time to quilt the quilt, took the time to bind the quilt I would be grateful for that quilt. I dont care how sad the quilt was or how loppy it was or if it was made of sun yellow and hot pink together with splashes of purple, I would cherish that quilt as much as if it was the most beautiful quilt in the world. Someone choose me to present with a gift of their hard work and I would use that quilt even if it didn't go with a thing in my home. But that's just me.
    Donna

Blog Entries
    If I'm making a quilt as a gift...then I get to pick the colors & pattern. If I'm making you a quilt, I probably know you pretty well and I use your personality/likes etc that I know. I also usually make it a throw to lay around on the couch and watch a movie with, not to go with your decor. I always try to make them happy & colorful and I try to make the back nice too. Unique !! If I don't get a thank you, I call them up ! I'm just that way.
    P.Jaco
    OKC, OK
    "Trust your experience"

I gave my cousin a throw for Christmas last year. When we would go shopping, she always looked for shades of purple for her clothing. And she always looked for a particular shade a green when we were looking for pottery. So I made a quilt of half triangles of shades of greens and purples with creams. She loved it! Now, I am thinking I ought to email all my sisters and cousins what colors they lean to for future Christmases!!

Actually, I have received an afghan that I could not stand colors or design. Used it in the bedroom for naps (which I take a lot of these days, it seems). I'm not into the matchy matchy thing in the bedroom since I don't live in there and its dark anyway. You could use it in a family room. Kids don't care if you think it's ugly. It is cuddly for watching movies. I put those afghans/quilts into a storage ottoman - perfect. They get pulled out for movie watching. I had one ugly afghan (and it is ugly - even my grandmother, the maker, said it was ugly) that I was using as a car afghan - my Mom adores it and has it now. People like different things.

I don't have an issue with my giftees. They pick their quilts out. I just tell them that if they change their minds to let me know. I can give them something different. I love to make scrap quilts, but can't really live with them, and they are often the first to be chosen!

For baby quilts/afghans, I just tell them that if the quilt is not to their taste or they have too much stuff to feel free to donate it to L&D dept. at our local hospitals. Many of the nurses are quilters too and they give the quilts to a needy kid. I know one mom who got 4 quilts and 2 afghans at her baby shower - I totally understood why she wanted to donate my quilt and I was all for it.
    Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 12-28-2011 at 03:38 PM.

It really is a good question. I imagine I would tell the person thank you, compliment them on how much work it must have taken, accept it with grace and take it home. What I would do with it after that I don't know, probably put it on a shelf someplace and use it for the kids when they spend the night.
    My fear in giving quilts is will the person who gets it like it? I would need to know their likes and dislikes well.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

I have a son that wants me to make him a quilt but asked me to walk with him through the bedding department of several department stores so he could show me what he likes and what he doesn't like. In his own words, "Maybe we'll find one I really love and you can copy it." Well, that way I would definitely know he would use it. Actually that's a pretty practical suggestion I think. And those aren't all made in China. Some stores have some made by hand in the US and of course the price is many, many, many hundreds of dollars.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 12-28-2011 at 03:40 PM.

I buy quilts at thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales, and auctions and then give them the love they were meant to have. At an auction once I bought what was displayed as a bag of rags -- inside it was a hand sewn quilt that had rarely been used. It was made from 30's flour sack fabric - I cherish that one. If they are well-worn I turn them into teddy bears or something. I used one as the background in a shoadowbox for a friend's mother's jewelry and knick knacks that we made together to honor her mother. My friend loves it. We're not all museum or Hollywood quality, and neither are handmade items such as quilts. Just as I want to be loved as I grow old (and I wasn't too pretty either), I want to give homemade quilts the love they deserve.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    These echo my feelings, too. No one has ever gifted me with a quilt. I've gotten a couple when someone passed and their "stuff" was divided up ... but that's not the same. I'm sure I'd cry if someone made and gave me a quilt, no matter what it looked like. It would be beautiful in my eyes.

And mlsa (David) - I loved your reply, also!

Quote Originally Posted by bnndr View Post
    If I received a hand made quilt that someone took the time to search for fabric, took the time to stitch the blocks, took the time to quilt the quilt, took the time to bind the quilt I would be grateful for that quilt. I dont care how sad the quilt was or how loppy it was or if it was made of sun yellow and hot pink together with splashes of purple, I would cherish that quilt as much as if it was the most beautiful quilt in the world. Someone choose me to present with a gift of their hard work and I would use that quilt even if it didn't go with a thing in my home. But that's just me.
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Blog Entries
    Before I would do all of that work, I ask about their colors and I try to pay attention when I visit their home. No one wants their quilt put in a closet, never to be used, plus it is so expensive to make a quilt, you might as well do what they like, instead of what you like.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Quote Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
    Good question, I've often wondered the same thing. Quite honestly, when I see some of the quilts on here that are going to be given as gifts, all I can think of is "wow"..... and I don't mean that in a good way. Truth be told, I'll bet I'm not the only one with that response. This is going to be interesting.....
    First,This type of reaction really bothers me and is why I wont post photos. Second, I can't imagine anyone taking the time to make me a quilt so if they did I would be totally speechless. This christmas I recieved a box of candy,a pair of slippers and a peacock feather hair clip that I would NEVER wear. The point is the peacock feather came from my son who knows how much I love feathers so you see ,he put thought into that gift and that means so much to me. I told him I loved it and I do for the thought that went into it. I currently have it hanging from the rearview mirror of my car and told him since I can't wear those type of things to work I will get to see it everytime I am driving.
    It amazes me how materalistic people have become. Who cares if it matches, I would be grateful for the thought that went into it. I know the thought that goes into things I make. One year I made my mom some stuffed rabbits with clothes on them, well she then got into making them and hers were soooooo much better than mine. I told mom that it was ok if she fixed mine up or just got rid of them beacuse hers were so pretty. Moms response was "I would never do that I know how busy you are working ,farming and taking care of the boys and what time was sacrificed to make me the rabbits,I could never get rid of them" well that was about 20 or so years ago and at christmas I noticed those pitiful little rabbits still there on their little bench in my moms spotless home.......giving AND recieving should be from the heart......
    Last edited by raedar63; 12-28-2011 at 05:04 PM.

[QUOTE=mlsa;4818605]I will always remember something my daddy taught us boys: "If somebody thought enough of you to give you a gift and it's nothing but a safety pin and that's all they could afford then you treat that safety pin like it's the grandest safety pin in the world."

I would be absolutely thrilled if somebody gave me a handmade quilt no matter the colors or pattern. Just to know they thought enough of me to give me anything would be joy enough. I would cherish it; use it; and show it off.

David[/QUOTE

beautiful advice and some words of wisdom to pass on.....thank you

Charity-crafter: I think you should submit one of your uncle's quilts to Ami Simms' "worst quilt contest". Not to make fun of him, but sometimes laughter is the best way to cope. If you haven't looked (and laughed at) her contest entries, the website is: http://amisimms.com/worquilworco.html

dayle

There are many items in my home that I don't like, it would fit right in. I would take it, thank them and use it. The chance of the giver seeing it versus the chances of Better Homes and Gardens seeing it.....humm....no photo shoot on my calender anytime soon.

It may only be unique to my experience, however it is not general practice to give quilts around here. It is mostly because they cost so much to make that it would be a very expensive present. The last quilt I made cost me $350 in materials and thread so there is no way that I would give it away. I did win a quilt in a raffle one time. I gave it to some old ladies who needed to raise money for their charity and they raffled it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    Charity-crafter: I think you should submit one of your uncle's quilts to Ami Simms' "worst quilt contest". Not to make fun of him, but sometimes laughter is the best way to cope. If you haven't looked (and laughed at) her contest entries, the website is: http://amisimms.com/worquilworco.html

dayle
    I tried. I sent her photos and a long explaination. She shared the fun but said entries for the worst quilt contest had to be submitted by the person who made it.

Blog Entries
    I prefer to know what a person wants before I give them a quilt I have a stack on my spare bed and if they want a quilt or wall hanging I let them pick or else tell me what they like and want I learned a long time ago that not everyone appreciates quilts I have heard them call them homemade blankets I enjoy making them but keep them until someone wants one and I have sold quite a few when someone pays for one I know they really want it as for me I do have 2 stuffed in a closet that were given to me and I keep them for the memories and did tell them thank you

Blog Entries
    I'm a giver and I enjoy giving quilts that I have made to people I care deeply about. I never just put something together that I like, for a gift. I will ask what they would like and show some examples of quilts out of my magazines and let them choose. If someone wants to regift a gift, its ok. Regifting is Biblical.
    Just passing through!

I know it doesn't answer the question, but when I give a quilt, it often goes with the 'ok to do whatever you want with it'

My vet has gone above and beyond for me, and I see signs that he's doing the same for others (lots of charity work) I'm making him a dog themed quilt, and giving it with my 'permission' to use it as he sees fit.

I've already done that with others, various people who work in charities. I make the quilt for them, but I let them know it's theirs, to do with as they want. I don't really know what they decided
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Blog Entries
    I would rather see a quilt in the Salvo or Good Will knowing there will be someone who will gladly make a worthy donation for the thrill of attaining a valued handmade item. Often times, it is the person who parts with something deemed valueless, that later regrets it. If the quilt doesn't match one's decor, I would fold it and keep it in the back seat of my car for picnics/emergencies. How about a donation to a nursing home?

I've never had an offer of a quilt by anyone, but if I did, I would be so happy and would really appreciate all the hard work that went into it...I would definitely use it, regardless of the color, fabrics, etc.
    Lynn

Everyone I've given quilts to has seemed to like and enjoy using them. Of course, they have been mostly for family and friends who I pretty much knew what colors they would like. Only one DIL never responsed to my offier to make her a lap quilt for their TV room so I haven't made her one for herself. I have several for each of her 3 DDs and one for her DH (my DS#1). I've also made lots of quilts for babies and most of their Moms never have touched a sewing machine so they were easy to impress with my limited quilting skills. May in Jersey

First, I would never make a quilt for someone unless they asked me specifically and told me what they wanted. It is way too much money and too much of my precious time to give to someone who would not appreciate it. If I was ever given a quilt that did not meet my taste, I would accept it, tell the giver it is very much appreciated and I would use it. My son loves to cuddle up with anything warm and he does not care if it matches nor do I. If the giver thought enough of me to make it and gift it, then I darn well will use it and enjoy it.

I worked in a nursing home for many years. There was a lady we were taking care of and she was a quilter. She then told her husband how to quilt. Later on he started to come to her room with all these small lap quilts. He gave all of us girls a lap quilt and said thank you for taking such good care of my wife. The quilt is in my closet but I still think of them when I look at it and the thought gives me a warm fuzzy. That is all i care about. I is the thought that counts.

Blog Entries
    You can always find something nice to say to someone. Others have already said how you can say thanks for thinking of me and then you can find something about that quilt that is nice, the pattern, the stitches, one color. There is always something great about a gift if you want to see it that way.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

I would say thank you and tell them how pleased I am that they spent the tmie to make it for me. You doin't need to display it in a room that you use all the time but surely it could go in an out of the way place. I think it's the thought that counts. I would have hurt feelings if someone did that to me.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast