Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you want someone to react? >

How would you want someone to react?

How would you want someone to react?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 AM

i would thank them very much and use the quilt . all quilts require work and they are all beutiful .
Old 12-30-2011, 07:42 AM

Default Ouch!

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
Charity-crafter: I think you should submit one of your uncle's quilts to Ami Simms' "worst quilt contest". Not to make fun of him, but sometimes laughter is the best way to cope. If you haven't looked (and laughed at) her contest entries, the website is: http://amisimms.com/worquilworco.html

dayle
Although I can understand the critiques and know the creators submitted their quilts to this contest...But as a new quilter, it is almost painful to see all the work that went into most of these quilts...only to end up with righteous messes that are sarcastically judged. Which underlines showing appreciation for handmade items. I would have to smile gracefully and praise the color, pattern. effort--Something-- because to Moms, no one has an ugly baby.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:43 AM

I would feel so honored if some one made me a quilt. I would love it no matter what the style and color. My MIL gave me all her quilt tops before she died. I didn't even think "it's not me" I thought she loved me enough to want me to have her things. I can only pray that when I give a quilt the new owner feels the same way and if not that's ok too. I've never seen an ugly quilt. For my birthday one year my DB gave me an old quilt he bought in an antique store. I wondered for a while why he bought me a quilt bc I make so many. That was his way of showing me his appreciation for the quilts I make him.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 AM

Unless the quilt is for a child, I ask the receipent what colors they prefer. I have a daughter who doesn't care what color it is as long as she gets one. However, I do know her preference is black & white. I have made black/white/red for her as she thought that was great. She said it broaden her horizons. I just made one for Christmas for my grand daughter (8 yr). I know her colors are pink and purple. The quilt was pink purple and green. Sounds terrible I know. Turned out cute. Her mother said she would take it if the GD didn't want it. But asking first is the best way to get past the problem. The "Blah" response is usually from adults. If their adults they can be asked first and I don't feel it ruins the suprise.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 AM

Oh my goodness ... I never thought of someone not loving a handmade gift I give them! Hmmmmm ... this thread is very thought-provoking! Maybe I need to think very seriously about getting to know a person's likes and dislikes, favorite colors and favorite things before I embark on a time-consuming gift! I love giving gifts, but I would like to think the recepient loves them too!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 AM

I have been in the homes of many people who are very proud of the way their homes are decorated, but I wouldn't want to live in them. I wouldn't want them to come redecorate my home. Their taste just is not compatible with mine. The quilts they have draped on their sofas would not look right on my sofa and they wouldn't like mine. I definitely feel individual preferences need to be considered. If someone loves me enough to make me a quilt, I feel they should love me enough to find out what type of quilt I would love to have. Obviously there are two distinct schools of thought on this subject and I doubt if they will ever intersect.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:56 AM

The Bible says it's better to give than to receive. So give with the love you have put into it. Once the quilt is in their possession it becomes theirs and no longer yours and what they do with it is out of your control. Just think about the joy you received as you made the quilt and the joy in giving. That's truly what it's all about. To Joyce888, if the quilt was not fully completed when you received it (only the top), then I don't see the problem in taking the blocks part, adding sashing that you will enjoy and putting the quilt together. You'll still have your mother's love in the blocks that she completed but will enjoy it more with fabric you have chosen. You could add some additional color in the blocks and then find some fabric to match. The most important thing here is that you use the blocks your mother made.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 AM

We all get gifts that are so "not us". The trick is to thank the person for thinking of you! That is what I have to do this year with my Dad who sent me something I would NEVER in a MILLION years use. But for him the fact that he thought at all about me is something I had to thank him for.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

I was told once that the receiver did not like the quilt I was making for her and I got really bummed. I thought "harumph...then you are not getting a quilt from me, you [expletive delete]. After a while I mellowed and made a quilt she did like. So if anyone were to give me a quilt that were the wrong colors or the wrong pattern like a GFG or a SBS, I'd consider that the quilter does not know me very well. I would find something nice to say about the gift. Then I'd find a spot for it. Probably folded up under a cat with my own quilts.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
I don't foresee ever having the problem of someone giving me a quilt. That being said if it is was just blah, I would thank them for thinking of me. Then it would probably go in the group of quilts that I have made and stay there.
oh so i guess you did not join the "quilt for quilters" swap? wouldnt it be nice to receive the gift of a handmade quilt?