Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you want someone to react? >

How would you want someone to react?

How would you want someone to react?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:16 PM

thanks for asking this question. I've really enjoyed reading the responses. I too would appreciate the gift of time and love and would use the quilt some way. My home is all unmatched, eclectic so almost anything will fit with my "decor" :>) and I like it like that.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:17 PM

Seems to me, if someone cared enough to make me a quilt, I should be able to look at it and feel the love that went into it. Even if it wasn't my "colors" or not my "style", the giver thought enough of me to make it for me. If it wasn't my favorite to look at, I would still use it underneath one that I liked better just so that I would think of that person.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 PM

I have received some truly ugly double knit quilts from my mom. But you know what...they are warm and really can't be destroyed! These are the ones that it's okay to make tents in the front room with or pallets on the floor for sleep overs - after 25+ years of abuse these quilts are still drug out of the closet and used for the grand daughters when they sleep over (again pallets on the floor). One of the other double knit quilts is stapled (yes I know..stapled) over a patio door that is never used and has drapes over the front of it. It provides insulation from the cold but isn't a true blockage if we had to use the door.

I guess I've never met a quilt that is so ugly it wasn't loved in some manner. The person that made the quilt made it for a reason -- whether it was for warmth or for beauty but it was made to be used and use it I will.

I have one quilt that is out of wool...itchy scratchy drab wool. But that sucker gets put into the a/c air return vent every winter and when I say "go get the vent quilt" there is no question which one to bring.

I never expect to receive a "pretty" quilt from anyone but I am always grateful for a "pretty pleased you thought of me" quilt.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:34 PM

Years ago, my mom made a quilt top for me. She did not have the money to have it hand quilted and she told me she would like to give the top to me if I would pay to have it quilted. Site unseen, I paid to have it hand quilted and she finished it. It was hand embroidered quilt squares and then pieced into a king size quilt. It did not match anything in my home. For years, it stayed in a bag in the top of a spare bedroom closet. About 10 years after she passed away, I was cleaning out the closet and came across the bag in the top. I actually had forgotten she had made it. I cannot tell you how beautiful it looked to me that day. I had started quilting by then and I realized how much work she had put into the quilt. I think it also was the sentimental part of it that she was no longer here.

Sometimes if the quilt is not exactly what we would have chosen ourselves, it takes a little time to realize the value and preciousness of having the quilt gift. When I give a quilt, if the person did not look really happy to have received it, I would probably tell them "If you don't like it, give it back to me and we can choose something else for you." I have never had anyone not gush over a quilt I have made for them and I am not that great a quilter. I have had two people to tear up when I gave them a quilt. However, I don't give a quilt to anyone who has not admired my quilts and acted like they really wanted a quilt of their own...the exception, baby quilts. Just my nickels worth on the subject.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 PM

Any quilt can be used to make palletts on the floor for kids when they have a sleep over (they won't care what it looks like)
**OR*** it can be used on a bed UNDER another blanket or comforter
***OR*** put in the trunk of your car (especially in the winter )in case your car breaks down, or for when ever you might need to stay warm in the car
***OR***use it at a picnic, park, sport game to sit on

Just a few ideas!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 PM

First of all anyone who gave me a quilt would know that it would be used as a summer, autum or winter throw or cover. Given an ugly quilt, which would be neutral tones, I have a guest bedroom to put it on. I always say thank you, and mean it. You never know if in the winter a furnace might fail and all the quilts will keep anyone warm.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 AM

I am so glad someone asked this question. It was truely refreshing to "hear" all the different responces. Especially since my daughter & I just finished 3 quilts to give away for Christmas & I recently gave away a baby quilt. I personally LOVE all quilts( & believe me my mom made some"test" quilts that were TRUELY UGLY! they are car quilts) I have also "picked up" quilts at garage sales & auctions & my husband gave me the evil "what are you thinking" look, & I have used & loved some of them & some I have cut up for a new use. BUT, having said all that, I also have a quilt my mother made for me for my wedding present, from fabric I purchased, that I absolutely loved, in a pattern that I chose, because my mother had made 6 butterfly quilts for all my brothers & sister when they got married, & I told her if I had to see another butterfly quilt, I would puke! I cherish my quilt, & it rarely hits the bed. It usually hangs on a quilt hanger above my bed instead, but it is one of my most prized posesions. I also love a quilt that she made from wool scraps & drapery linning, not so much for its beauty but because it has seen me through soccer & football games, hunting deer with my husband, power outages, & many other "cold" times. I think a gift does not ALWAYS have to be used for its original purpose to be appreciated, & sometimes it has to be "passed on" or even "remade" to find the right person to appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 AM

Sounds like it would be a good idea to get the info. on what colors the person would like and maybe even an idea about design.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:14 AM

I solved the problem this year. I have given all my grandchildren quilts. I let them choose the colors, if they want, they could also choose the pattern. But they usually trust me to do that. But this year, I decided to make quilts in the name of each family member and then donate them to charity. I took a picture of each quilt, printed it on the front of a blank card, inside I told them where it was donated to, and also printed on the top part of the card a little bit about the organization and its goals. My family are all very lucky that they don't need anything, so they were thrilled with this gesture. It solved lots of problems in every direction. I plan to do this next year too. In return, my daughter donated money to my favorite animal shelter in my name.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 AM

We've all received gifts of all kinds that just weren't our thing but I take them with a smile and some kind words and am surprised that many times I've found a use for them.

I would never make a large quilt for someone with first thinking about their colors, style of decorating, etc. as it's too time consuming as well expensive. Some people just don't think a gift is worthwhile unless they know how much it cost and with quilts you can never really tell - was all the fabric purchased at a LQS or was it made from scraps?

Had a SIL like that but I gifted her DD handmade items when she was young, Raggady Ann doll, little crocheted purse, etc. Guess what? This neice grew up to be a speciality handcraft artist with her own studio! Niece has told me many times how she remembers or still has some of the gifts I had made her when she was little.

Last edited by May in Jersey; 12-30-2011 at 05:01 AM.