Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you want someone to react? >

How would you want someone to react?

How would you want someone to react?

Old 12-30-2011, 05:14 AM

I would make sure I said thank you first. If I didn't like the colors, pattern, etc. I wouldn't use it on my bed but would find some place else to use it, spare bedroom, camper, a throw on the back of the couch in the familyroom. I definitely would make sure they giver knew what and where I'd be using it. The next time they came over I'd show them where I was using it. I know this is what I'd do because this is exactly what I did when I was given a quilt I didn't really like, but didn't really dislike.

My friend was very happy when she saw it laying across the back of the couch in the familyroom. I made sure I told her how much I appreciated it when it was cold and I had it to cozy up with.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:26 AM

Because I am a quilter, all of my friends think I take in orphans. Orphan quilts that is. They find quilts everywhere, mostly uglies that no one else wants, and bring them to me. I thank them whole heartedly. I take thes quilts, wash them, repair, if necessary, and dye them. It's amazing how some of them turn out almost like batik. Some I send to charity, some I keep. One thing is certain, this family will never freeze. Lol
Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 AM
Swap Hosts

First, I would be enthusiastic about the quilt to the quilter, making sure to comment positively on the details of the quilt. I might even pose for a photo with it. Then I would take it home and spend some time with it, thinking about how thoughtful the quilter was to make it for me. If the "ick" factor didn't disappear after a few days, I would put it into a seldom used room and wait for a few months to pass. If I knew someone who absolutely loved it, I would call the quilter and say that I had a dilemma. So-and-so saw the quilt and loved it so much and asked to have one like it. S/he knew it was a gift from you and ... I know it's awful but would you mind if I let poor so and so have it? I would never say I didn't like the colors or style. I think that would be rude and hurtful.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:44 AM

What a wonderful story, Charitycrafter. Thank you for sharing and for understanding what he was going through.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 AM

I would cherish any kind of quilt that was given to me who made it with love. I wouldn't care what it was made of - old clothes, sheets, bad quilting, anything. I have never been given such a gift and if it was just so "ugly" I would proudly put it somewhere on my bed or as a throw or a bed for the pets because it was made for me with love. And love is the most important thing we can share of ourselves.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:24 AM

It is something your mother made so make a quilt for you and your sister. It is a quilt of love and maybe one of your children would like something grandma made. It is to precious to just leave!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by DixieLee View Post
I would cherish any kind of quilt that was given to me who made it with love. I wouldn't care what it was made of - old clothes, sheets, bad quilting, anything. I have never been given such a gift and if it was just so "ugly" I would proudly put it somewhere on my bed or as a throw or a bed for the pets because it was made for me with love. And love is the most important thing we can share of ourselves.
Not everyone has the same opinion. DixieLee would use an ICKY quilt as bed for pets thinking she was honoring the quilter who had made the quilt with love for her, while we have had some quilters who were so incensed to find one of their quilts being used by a pet that they vowed to never make anything for that person again. And never has anyone thought or at least admitted that they had made an ugly quilt and given it away. I wonder why? I'm like the quilter who originated this post. Some of the pictures that get posted make me say "Glad that's not my quilt." while others make me say, "Oh my, that's beautiful."

Last edited by TanyaL; 12-30-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:32 AM

I would thank the person for all the time and love that went into making it for me. Then I would probably put it in a closet. When someone takes the time and care to do something like that for you that in itself is the gift.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 AM

I think I would tell the person. Explain you know all the love and time that goes into it but it doesnt suit your taste and would hate to just store it in a closet when some one else might be able to love and treasure it.

I am saying this from experience as my DIL put the cross stitched "pooh alphabet" baby afghan in her garage sale. I bought it back as well as other things I have made. Clothes I buy back and give to smaller granddaughter who loves them.
It has really turned me off and I do not "make" her anything else
Good luck on your choice,
Dawn 227
Old 12-30-2011, 07:11 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I made a quilt for my mother-in-law ( the first of three ) and she loves orange so I used orange and when I gave it to her, she looked at the backing and said she love the material. She folded it up really small and layed it on top of her love seat for a little bit and then it has disappeared. I made two more using fabric she likes but I never saw them in her home. Well, I would love to have them back. I worked hard on them and orange isn't my color but the time and money that went into those quilts make me want to ask for them. She never said thank you or anything. And she's the one that told me at the beginning that she didn't have a quilt and would love one. Her curtains are orange so they match her house, but I think she doesn't like me (in fact I know she doesn't) so that's why I don't know where they are. She probably threw them out. I will never make or give her anything again! Ever!!