Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: how to you get good pictures of your quilts?

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    My lighting is awful.. how do you get good pictures of your quilts?

Do you hang them on a wall? lay them of the floor, a table's height always distorts the shape.

any hints out there?

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    If it's a sunny day then I take it outside. Otherwise I will take several shots in different places and pick the best one.

It has been super nasty here lately so I haven't been able to do it (hints the crappy pictures of late), but I normally tie a clothes line between the garage door supports and hang a quilt from there, or I throw it over my fence in the back, or over a couple lawn chairs, or I just make my husband hold it up outside.

Blog Entries
    Patrice posted a topic on photos, will look for the link.

I still have an old-fashioned clothesline, so I use that.

BUT!!!! when I look out the window and see that there is no wind, hence good for taking a pic of the quilt, by the time I get outside with quilt and camera, the wind has picked up!! Never fails!!

Banned
    I hang them on the wall if they aren't too big. I tack them up to the wall with used sewing machine needles. I just hammer them in. I do it this way because when I pull the needles out there is barely a mark on the wall.
    If the quilt is a bed size, I lay it out on my bed.

Blog Entries
    I am trying to remember to take mine out on the bench outside and in sunshine. or hanging on the clothes line in the sun.

I call the LQS's and see which one doesn't have a class.

They don't mind if I use their walls and hanging clips to put up my quilt. Their lighting is great and I can get a picture of the whole quilt easier. No shadows or folds.

The stores are glad to see the finished product and the shoppers just love to come and look.

ali

I was thinking of starting a thread just for this!

My question is more as to how do you get the quilting to show up so well?

And too, I know some of it is the fault or skill of the photographer ... and the quality (or not!) of the camera!

I lay mine on the floor and turn on all the lights I can find. Most of the time my pictures are pretty good...

Large wall, tripod, DSLR camera, MacBeth color card and photo editing software. It isn't simple to get a really good photo.

I attach to my design board (which is opposite a good size window) and only take pictures in the daylight.

I do photography and I use Adobe CS5 to edit the images and also inlarge photos. I like it because you can fix the picsal distortion of jpegs. The image comes out really sharp over most image enditors. It is the best one I have and and most profeshinal photographers use this program and has many options to it. It is on the pricey side for buying it but it is worth the money spent. I also have a large photo board that I hang my quilts on to take pictures.

Yes ... as figured technology waaaaaaaaaay beyond me! :)

use several lights, like how professional photography places have lights from several angles. It helps cut down on shadows (or at least I think so :-)).

Blog Entries
    I lay it on the floor or couch an use a very simple digital camera. Lighting - the room has sheer curtains up all the time. I think my pictures have been good enough except for the reds never photograph true.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    I was thinking of starting a thread just for this!

My question is more as to how do you get the quilting to show up so well?

And too, I know some of it is the fault or skill of the photographer ... and the quality (or not!) of the camera!
    Good lighting and a good camera. The camera really helps the quilting show. I can see things much clearer via camera sometimes than with my own eyes.

ali

Blog Entries
    If at all possible take them outside the lighting there is perfect.

I lay them on the living room floor and head upstairs (looking over the railing into living room) until I am high enough to see the whole quilt in my camera lens... then I take a picture. I also have a quilt that hangs above my headboard, so if I can't do the stairway thing I remove the quilt above bed and hang one I want to photograph up there and photograph it from the foot of the bed. I'm not super fussy when taking the picture, as long as it is clear. I also don't do a lot of fancy FMQ so I don't worry about that the quilting can't be seen.

I wait for a nice sunny day and hang them on the clothes line or have people hold them up for me.

Outside is always best. I get the DH to hold them for me so I have to edit out the quilts with legs!!!!

As for showing quilting detail close ups with a macro lens work quite well.

Becks

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    If it is a nice day for taking pics (no wind, cloudy rather than sunny - sun washes out the colour), I'll hang the quilt on the clothesline. Otherwise, DH will hold it up for me. That's why some of my quilts have feet in the pics. ;)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I still have an old-fashioned clothesline, so I use that.

BUT!!!! when I look out the window and see that there is no wind, hence good for taking a pic of the quilt, by the time I get outside with quilt and camera, the wind has picked up!! Never fails!!
    clotheslines are no longer considered OLD fashioned, but NEW urbanite standard for those going GREEN and trying to conserve and leave a lesser carbon footprint! I had to fight DH to get mine made 3 years ago...only cost $75 to have the neighbor get the pipe and weld together for me...

as for the WIND...OY..this is OK....there is never a day without wind....so for indoor shots I had DH make a quilt holder that is in my kitchen it's only purpose is for photography...of course now that I own 2 photographers stands I suppose that rack could leave, but I like it there!

it is painted white, but it is there!
    Name:  Attachment-198588.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  30.4 KB

see, here it is holding a quilt for a pix
    Name:  Attachment-198589.jpe
Views: 28
Size:  137.3 KB

I don't - some of my pictures are lousy. I am very envious of the lovely pics that everyone else manages to post.

Another vote for clotheslines!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast