Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to you get good pictures of your quilts? >

how to you get good pictures of your quilts?

how to you get good pictures of your quilts?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:14 AM

So many quilts are photgraphed with someone holding them and their feet showing below. I think it would be fun to make a quilt with appliqued hands over the top and legs and shoes dangling from the bottom. It would be a show stopper for any quilt show. LOL
Old 05-22-2011, 02:26 PM

I have a granddaughter and daughter who come over often. I also have a long park bench on our deck. They get to stand on that and I take the pictures. They just love it when they come to see me and I tell them I need pictures taken. Well not really. But I love it. Especially if the sun is shining through the trees. I love the look it gives the quilt.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I was thinking of starting a thread just for this!

My question is more as to how do you get the quilting to show up so well?

And too, I know some of it is the fault or skill of the photographer ... and the quality (or not!) of the camera!
I read someplace that the quilt should be facing north (outdoors, naturally) for the best results, including the quilting. I don't have a good backdrop from that direction. I found certain times of day were best for my hanging zones. One place was our upper deck on the pool, which we just tore down, so I will miss it terribly. Now I'm down to the clothesline, which my DH says is an eyesore, so I don't know how long he will allow it. But then I will laugh the day he wants to hang up a tarp or sleeping bag.
I'm so glad someone mentioned using the LQS to hang....what a great idea!

FREE Quilting Newsletter