Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to you get good pictures of your quilts? >

how to you get good pictures of your quilts?

how to you get good pictures of your quilts?

Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM

We have mostly florescent lights in our house now. They are still the old fashioned ones that don't give true color. The only place I have true-color bulbs is in my sewing room. However, it's not big enough to photograph a large quilt, so I usually go outside or take it to our Church and take the photos there. You can try with or without a flash. I get completely different images that way. Like one cjomomma said, take lots and pick the best one.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:27 PM

I was told once many yrs ago by a pro that cloudy days are good days for pix taking ... for some reason I do not remember it makes the colors "pop" when photographed outside on mildly gray days
Old 05-18-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
My lighting is awful.. how do you get good pictures of your quilts?

Do you hang them on a wall? lay them of the floor, a table's height always distorts the shape.

any hints out there?
I take mine outside and either hang them on the fence or clothesline.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by snicker dee
I was told once many yrs ago by a pro that cloudy days are good days for pix taking ... for some reason I do not remember it makes the colors "pop" when photographed outside on mildly gray days
On light cloudy days there are no shadows thus it makes it a better picture.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

wow ! I was away and this post ahs taken off ! Thanks so much for all the hints ! I am going to string a clothes line between two flower basket hooks along my privacy fence. I do hope to get some good ones before my quilts go to thier homes. As for the ones I am left with bad pictures.. A little late.
Thanks to you all !
Ell
Old 05-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Mae

You can get the quilting to show up if you do not use the flash and have the camera set for a snow scene. The color is more accurate and the stitches show up.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 PM

One good tool I just found was Pants hangers. Mens wooden pants hangers. They have two boards and a clip that smashes the two pieces of wood together. I got them at Wal_Mart. I can clip the ends of the quilt in two hangers (one on each end). I can then hang the hangers (which rotate) on the stair rail or the fence outside. I take pictures with my cell phone because that's what I always have closest to me. Outside - I like taking them in the shade too. Much better.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:18 AM

I use ALL THE LIGHTS ON theory... take some with natural light if available and then some with the flash. Most times you can get pretty good ones even if they're just FLAT on the floor if you can get the entire quilt in the picture. I don't have any place to hang mine either.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:52 AM

I sometimes put them on the floor or bed. If I put them
on the bed I have to stand on stool or a chair. Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:00 AM

Yes, and sometimes the camera is not work the way I think it should. And sometimes it's the operator!

FREE Quilting Newsletter