Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to you get good pictures of your quilts? >

how to you get good pictures of your quilts?

how to you get good pictures of your quilts?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM

I have discovered that if I take a quilt photo in sunlight the colors don't come out right. I like to wait for a cloudy day and drape the quilt over my deck rail, with a small fold-back so that the back of the quilt shows, too. If I had a clothesline I would hang it from there.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM

Just some thoughts............. I have found it is best to take photos in the shade, before sunrise or after sunset, not bright sunshine. I sometimes take them inside on my design wall with bright light coming through a window, but not shining directly on the quilt. To show the quilting, not the stitches, take the photo from an angle across the face of the quilt. I read an article (can't remember when or where) that some professional photogs lay the quilt on the floor & shoot from above. Nice if you have a balcony............
Old 05-18-2011, 08:40 AM

Oh please and please please rotate your pictures so they are not sideways, I get a cramp trying to look at them...if you have even the most simple of picture editing, and most of them come installed on you machines, look for the little semicircular arrows and use them.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
This is the best website I've found geared towards photography for quilters, not photographers. http://www.hollyknott.com/stq/index.htm
Great info! Thanks!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 AM

I just learned a lesson form my girlfriend! She takes her out on a sunny day and take pics outside!!! This helps to show the true colors!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 AM

I do my quilting with 4 boards and store them overhead in my basement in my quilting room. When I am finished with the quilt I attach them to one board and put it on the overhead storage rack and take a picture of it. Smaller ones I lay on the living room floor - such as the baby quilts.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:59 AM

I had pictures taken of my work recently. Since my camera is not very good my work never comes out very nice. During the photo shoot the best pictures were the ones that were taken outside in the shade. None of the colors needed touch ups. The lighting was perfect and it came out much better than the ones we took in the house.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I have a double door to the master bedroom and I hang mine in the doorway. I also wait til early afternoon when the sun is shining in the windows across from the doorway and turn on all lights and use flash if needed. I think it also helps to hang them against a white background.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:40 AM

If mne is a small wall quilt, I hang a tension rod between the door jams, like the 36" opening in my laundry room, and hang it from there. The only good way is hanging...I lie some of the hints already posted...I also use my quilt wall with strong pins.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 PM

I put small nails about 1 foot apart above my garage then put bulldog clips on them ( you can by them at office supply stores and sometimes Walmart.) I hange my quilts there and take photos.
I also downloaded Picasa its free and on ityou edit and crop your photos to look their best.
Gangles

FREE Quilting Newsletter