Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How young is too young for a quilt? >

How young is too young for a quilt?

How young is too young for a quilt?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 AM

Isn't that the truth. My kids tell me that my DGKids can't do this or that. I tell that a whole slew of people grew up doing this or that!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 AM

I make and give baby quilts to friends expecting them to make the right choice in its use. My own children did not have a quilt or blankets in the crib with them until after 6 months. Most advice is no blankets until after a year, when baby moves to toddler bed. Baby quilts are for when holding baby, and playing on the floor, and for taking pictures, and... Not for 'in' the crib with baby. The link below has more info from the VP of public affairs for the SIDS Alliance.

http://news.consumerreports.org/baby...u-put-a-b.html
Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 AM

If no blankets in the crib, how do you keep the baby warm in cold weather? What do you cover them with to keep drafts off? I am amazed by this.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 AM

I am 71 years old so I am one of those whose children survived by luck and the Grace of God. They had quilts from day one. My grandchildren had quilts from day one. They lay on them, under them and any other way they could be used as they got older. Everyone just needs to use common sense.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:56 AM

When my kids were first born I would put a thinner quilt on the floor and use small recieving blanket across there waste and legs. One of my aunts lost her baby boy as she over dressed him and buddled him in a heavy quilt. Baby's in general put out a lot body heat on there own and really don't need to have heavy blankets on them.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
I once heard that you should not put a quilt on a baby. If the quilt is too heavy, it may do harm. Does anyone have any idea of what this means? I am assuming that if the baby is not able to turn itself over,etc it may be too restricted in their movement?? (suffocate? heaven forbid!).

I also worry about flamability (sic) of baby quilts.

A friend wants me to make a quilt for her new grandchild that is due in late fall. I just want to make sure she understands the relationship of the age of the baby and a quilt.

anyone?
sandy

Babies nowadays are generally put to sleep in sleep sacks or jammies a bit heavier than normal.

There's some concern about a baby smothering in their sleep with a blanket of any weight.

Remember however, that tiny one will be carried around a lot. Sometimes if you're at Aunt Lou's she's not got a baby bed so a quilt on the floor is the prefect answer. Even on the grass or concrete patio or whatever.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by msdrae
If no blankets in the crib, how do you keep the baby warm in cold weather? What do you cover them with to keep drafts off? I am amazed by this.
Sleep sacks! A bit heavier than a jersey jammie, but made more like a long sewn bottom gown.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by msdrae
Sleep sacks! A bit heavier than a jersey jammie, but made more like a long sewn bottom gown.
Ditto. We used sleep sacks that were made of fleece and they were plenty warm. The argument that "people did it back then and survived" doesn't fly. Lots of them didn't survive but no one is speaking for them. Only for the ones that did.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
there are always those instances where something unfortunate happens-
there are always those people who are somewhat (extremists) who hear one story and suddenly decide it is Gospel and would have warnings on every item we come in contact with.
babies have been wrapped in quilts through out history.
there are now warnings that you should never make a child under 3 a raggy quilt- they may chew on the frayed edges and choke.
you should never put a button on anything for a child under 5-
you should never - you should never- you should never

getting up in the morning has its own inherent risks.
in the past 35 years i have made at least 200 baby quilts--so far i haven't (caused harm) to a single baby -- and some of those quilts have been passed down to new generations.
I like the part that don't feed your baby until he almost 1yr, I raised both of my babies the same way with food... and they are two healthy men! I told my daughter in law if she would feed that baby rice ceral he would sleep through the night, but she wouldnt listen she listen to those who said don't, all that baby did was cry and cry some more, she was breast feeding him but there was something wrong with her milk and he just wasnt getting what he needed to fill his little tummy up. When she wasn't around I feed the little guy and he hardly cry at all! When her second baby came around she listen to me and relized I was right the baby was hungry and that's why it cried all the time...
Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 AM

As a parent you must make your own decisions as to what "recommendations" you will follow. I have a 3 and 6 yr old and I (gasp at the horror) allowed them to sleep on their tummies as babies. One had acid reflux and the pressure on her belly made her feel better....so she slept....and so did mommy!
However my son is 3 and he has a big boy bed (complete w/ a quilt i made him) and just the other day we found him w/ his sheet wrapped around his neck 3 times and it was TIGHT! he's fine but now has no sheet on his bed! just his blankies & quilt. It's all relative to what you feel comfortable with and the things you've seen and lived through in your life. never did I think a sheet for a 3 yr old (heck they make sheets for toddler beds!!!) would be something to worry about. But my 6 yr old sleeps w/ a sheet just fine. I think the 3 yr old just rolls around a lot so something thin like a sheet isn't good for him. just go w/ what you feel comfortable with.