Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How young is too young for a quilt? >

How young is too young for a quilt?

How young is too young for a quilt?

Old 05-17-2011, 07:04 PM

I thought this was deja vu. LOL

It always cracks me up when people say I didn't do xxx back then and I'm still alive. The people who died from these things aren't here to speak for themselves.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 PM

Every kid, grandkid, and great grandkid has had a baby quilt as well as numerous nieces and nephews and none of them suffered any ill effects. I think it's all seriously overblown.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:26 PM

If you're concerned, make a "Play on the floor" till their bigger quilt.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
there are always those people who are somewhat (extremists) who hear one story and suddenly decide it is Gospel and would have warnings on every item we come in contact with.
babies have been wrapped in quilts through out history.
I think that this statement is not appropriate in this context. There are indeed many extremists in this world, but I don't think that people who prefer not to put bulky bed covers on babies fit into that category. Advice against this practice is pretty mainstream at this stage. And babies have certainly not been wrapped in polyester high loft quilts "throughout history"

Baby quilts are a lovely gift for playing on and each mom will decide how to use hers best if she is lucky enough to receive one as a gift. Personally however, I would never put one on a child to sleep under if they are too young to be able to get out from under it if they get overheated and/or have it over their face. If that makes me an extremist in someone else's eyes, then that is their problem not mine!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
I once heard that you should not put a quilt on a baby. If the quilt is too heavy, it may do harm. Does anyone have any idea of what this means? I am assuming that if the baby is not able to turn itself over,etc it may be too restricted in their movement?? (suffocate? heaven forbid!).

I also worry about flamability (sic) of baby quilts.

A friend wants me to make a quilt for her new grandchild that is due in late fall. I just want to make sure she understands the relationship of the age of the baby and a quilt.

anyone?
sandy
Pretty much, the baby is on top of the quilt - like on the bed, sofa, or floor, especially where it is warm. In winter a quilt is laid lightly over the baby with its head out. They grow so fast, before long they take charge of the quilt, and drag it to where they want it.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:34 AM

I've made two quilts for two different babies. We call these "chew and spew" quilts. Both babies survived. I have been told not to use polyester as a batting for babies, because it makes them too hot and could cause problems. I guess its up to the individual mothers what they wrap their babies in. Hard not to put something over a baby if its cold.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ann31039
anyone ever notice all the "rules" change for babies every 5 years or so? i notice they flip flop a lot. one time its ok, another its not, then its ok again. I think if a person just uses common sense, they'll do fine.
Amen to that
You hear out cry of how dangerous something is after a horrible incident. Very rarely are these with out extenuating issues- such as acohol, drugs, extreme fatique on the part of the parent and or no clue what so ever in parenting. When we were in Germany with the Army, a couple suffered the death of their child and every one cried SIDS -don't sleep with your child, don't let them sleep in the wrong position, don't give them a blanket and so on. Finally a friend came forward who was suffering for months with guilt for not coming forward when the baby was still alive about the living conditions in the home. She said it was a mess, beer cans, and other trash in the crib with the baby were a constant problem. No one wishes the loss of a child for anyone especially those of us who have lost at least one child, it's just time to stop frightening everyone with the what you're doing wrong and you could kill your child. Relax enjoy making a baby quilt and share it your gift will be appreciated and loved. One of my favorites is from a dear friend. When I called to thank her I was told she had not come through a very risky surgery and she never knew the blanket had ever reached it's destination. She never got to see the children she prayed and cried with me for so to me that quilt was and is a very special gift.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:38 PM

My daughter uses the ones I made for grandbabies on the floor and now the 2yr old lays them out for play
Old 05-22-2011, 07:32 AM

ditto....nothing in the crib except the baby....
Old 05-22-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by joym
ditto....nothing in the crib except the baby....