Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How young is too young for a quilt? >

How young is too young for a quilt?

How young is too young for a quilt?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:21 AM

I know you shouldn't cover an infant with a blanket, cover, of any kind but they can be used under the baby.

A quilt for an infant can be used to decorate the baby's room until it is a toddler.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 AM

I, too, survived baby and childhood without the new "rules". And I know it seems extreme and nitpicking but SIDS deaths have declined since word went out to put babies on their backs instead of tummies, and since bumper pads and quilts and pillows became no-no's. But even if these extreme measures only save one child's life we should resist being naysayers. If that one baby who dies is your own even improved statistics mean nothing, you have lost your heart and soul. I still make baby quilts but only for those parents I know will follow the "rules".
Originally Posted by Sandygirl
I once heard that you should not put a quilt on a baby. If the quilt is too heavy, it may do harm. Does anyone have any idea of what this means? I am assuming that if the baby is not able to turn itself over,etc it may be too restricted in their movement?? (suffocate? heaven forbid!).

I also worry about flamability (sic) of baby quilts.

A friend wants me to make a quilt for her new grandchild that is due in late fall. I just want to make sure she understands the relationship of the age of the baby and a quilt.

anyone?
sandy
Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 AM

I once heard that you should not put a quilt on a baby. If the quilt is too heavy, it may do harm. Does anyone have any idea of what this means? I am assuming that if the baby is not able to turn itself over,etc it may be too restricted in their movement?? (suffocate? heaven forbid!).

A friend wants me to make a quilt for her new grandchild that is due in late fall. I just want to make sure she understands the relationship of the age of the baby and a quilt.

anyone?
sandy
I crocheted baby blankets for all my grandchildren. Because of the looseness of the design, there was no way it would suffocate them.

Now that they're older, they're all getting quilts from Grammy.
:-D
Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 AM

No thick batting!!! Fire retardant fabrics only!! A thin quilt is the key for newborns, achieved by close quilting and low loft fabrics for top, batting, and backing. Maybe a flannel or cotton batting. The danger is that a newborn could easily bury his head in the quilt and suffocate (even though most doctors tell new mothers today NOT to lay new babies on their stomach).
How about suggesting that new mommy let baby sleep on top of the quilt (not under it) until he's old enough to flip over at will.
Save the big fluffy quilt for later.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 AM

I never heard this-- My son came home from the hospital wrapped in one and so has all his babies The only good advice I got was if your hot[or cold ]so is the baby and on windy days keep their ears covered to prevent earaches
Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 AM

As long as it's the right size, day one is fine. My old guild made quilts for the NICU at the local children's hospital, which were sent home with the babies.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:48 AM

I did not use quilts with my children when they were in the cribs. Just footed or sack sleepers. I would lay them on it for tummy time and play time. My 5 year old just had to give up his SANTA quilt - beyond repair. He gave it too his lamb to lay on(yes you read right) Then asked me to make him one.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm
As long as it's the right size, day one is fine. My old guild made quilts for the NICU at the local children's hospital, which were sent home with the babies.
In NICUs they're still not usually used to cover for warmth. They're laid over isolettes to block light and provide decoration. They also do things in NICUs that you shouldn't at home because the babies are monitored 24/7.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 AM

anyone?
sandy
The only caution I have ever heard about babies and quilts, is to never put a large quilt in bed with them, for obvious reasons, so just make a little one to start?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 AM

You're right. I meant that the quilts are sent home with the babies after they are released. I am sure the nurses give directions on how soon they can use the quilts for cover.