Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How young is too young for a quilt? >

How young is too young for a quilt?

How young is too young for a quilt?

Old 05-17-2011, 03:08 AM

I did read that there is a greater risk of SIDS if a quilt is used for a baby and therefore, my friends and I have a general rule not to provide a quilt for under five. We do not have any more research or scientific reasoning for this, other than the article we discussed about 10 years ago. Ideas may have changed since then.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:49 AM

If anyone wants to read the scientific research, it's on the AAP website.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 AM

I make many baby quilts, using cotton fabrics & batting & feel they are too heavy for a new baby (I'm a retired nurse) so always recommend that the quilts be used on the floor for tummy time & play time. When they are toddler age it can be used on a bed.
Maire
Old 05-17-2011, 05:09 AM

I'd say make her the quilt. It will seem like no time at all until the child is old enough to enjoy the quilt. In the meantime, it can be displayed or used on the floor when a child sleeps. But until the child actually comes and you KNOW it is in imminent danger, I'd trust the mother of the child to do what's right for it. If she's anything like lots of other young mothers I know, she'll be reading anything she can get her hands on about how to care for her newborn, and will know the risks of what should or should not be used in a crib.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:44 AM

I have raise 5 children and my siblings and I all had quilts fromthe get go and we are all here. I have never heard of it either until my son and his wife just had a baby and they asked if I would wait till he was a few months old to make his so that it does not hurt him so I quit making the quilt until later. Noq I have 5 s I may just give themall away..Who knows. There are rules for rules and pills for pills .....it all get old to me????
Old 05-17-2011, 05:45 AM

I'm a new mother (my little girl is 3 months old). One of our favorite gifts we received for our daughter is the quilt that someone put their time and love into. We don't use the quilt for sleeping, but we do use it every day for tummy time, covering the car seat when it is colder outside, and once our little girl is big enough for a toddler bed, It will be used for sleeping. Go ahead and give the quilt, it will likely be cherished.

If you are concerned about flammability and the harmful chemicals used to make the batting non flammable you could always use a batting that is 100% wool. Wool is naturally flame retardant.

Deaths by Sudden Infants Death Syndrome have gone down by 50% since we've stopping putting textiles in the crib and Putting babies to sleep on their back. While many will survive even if you don't follow that advice, if following it stops more families the heartbreak of the loss of a child/grandchild/etc. It just makes sense! The hardest funeral I've ever been to was the funeral of my sister's best friend's 6 week old son. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone. But that doesn't mean that a quilt wouldn't be used (in a safe way) or cherished by the family with the newest addion to their family.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
Originally Posted by Up North
Originally Posted by Sandygirl
I once heard that you should not put a quilt on a baby. If the quilt is too heavy, it may do harm. Does anyone have any idea of what this means? I am assuming that if the baby is not able to turn itself over,etc it may be too restricted in their movement?? (suffocate? heaven forbid!).

I also worry about flamability (sic) of baby quilts.

A friend wants me to make a quilt for her new grandchild that is due in late fall. I just want to make sure she understands the relationship of the age of the baby and a quilt.

anyone?
sandy
This information is correct. With the improvement in the loss of babies to SIDS which by the way also includes suffocation a lot of the time it is recommended no blankets or bumper pads in the crib. Quilts make wonderful tummy time mats for on the floor.
Thank you for your input! I thought I was "crazy' to even worry about this and yes, I did not wear a helmet when learning to ride my bike in the 1960s but things change and "improve" or not. I realize that life and the worry-warts seem to rule BUT I still wanted input and thank you also to the grammies and aunties and mommies who also gave their input. Really, it is appreciated!

I love the idea of a floor mat or wall hanging too.
sandy
You could always applique or embroidery on the quilt something cute like "Maddie Tummy Time Quilt" Or "Brennan's Belly Blankie" This way its a lil reminder for them to use it on the floor and not in the crib if it makes you feel uncomfortable. ;)
Old 05-17-2011, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I would AVOID anything that is flame retardant. Blankets pajamas - what ever - that chemical is very toxic.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:01 AM

Quilts are nice for when baby needs some 'floor time'. These days they do not want any kind of blanket in the crib for the first year.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 AM

I call my baby quilt gifts "belly quilts" so that the mommy knows she can put one on the floor to change baby or for baby to lay on belly down when they start bobbing their little heads around to see the world.