Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How young is too young for a quilt? >

How young is too young for a quilt?

How young is too young for a quilt?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I would AVOID anything that is flame retardant or any other chemical treatment for that matter - so pre-wash! Flame retardant in blankets - pajamas - what ever - that chemical is VERY toxic. You have a small chance of having a fire in your bed. You have 100% chance of exposure to the flame retardant chemicals with treated materials though.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 AM

I will just give you a little information about SIDS..it does not just happen during the night time hours. My g/f was taking her dear sweet little angel for her 6 week check up at 2pm, when she arrived at the parking lot, shut her vehicle down, got out to remove the car seat. She noticed her daughter was not breathing..it was only 15 minutes tops from the time she strapped her in to when they arrived at the doctors office. In memory of Sarah Lynn June 23rd, 2009.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:13 AM

After reading this thread, I am changing my view on this topic. I also had figured that quilts have been around forever so it must be okay. Not anymore! Why take a chance? (My heart goes out to any of you who have lost a baby or loved one.) I have 2 baby quilts going our this week as gifts for grandbabies of 2 of my friends. I always include a sheet of washing instructions. I plan to add on that sheet that the quilt is recommended as a play mat or carriage robe until the baby is older. How old do the guidelines say a baby should be before having a quilt or blanket?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 AM

I give quilts for baby gifts. That does not mean they need to go in the crib. One mother just showed me pics of the quilt hanging above the crib. She will use if when baby is old enough to put on floor.

No making a quilt because of crib warnings does not make sense as there are lots of uses for quilts.

I have started making quilts that can grow with the child, not specific baby but little boy or little girl quilts that they can use for years to snuggle under. My grandkids lay on floor and watch TV snuggled under their quilts.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

What a sad stories. I am so sorry for those that lost little ones.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 AM

I have made several quilts for my granddaughter, she is 17 months, and she hasn't slept with one yet. But that doesn't mean she hasn't used them. I made a flannel quilt for her that my daughter put on the floor so she could have tummy time. Many of the pictures of my GD during her first year are on that quilt. It was soft and made to wash. It was washed almost everyday. I made her a Dora quilt that she plays with. I also made her a quilt to go with all her bedding that my daughter hangs off the back of a rocking chair in the nursery. (My Avatar) She will use it when she gets to a big girls bed.

I just finished a flannel floor quilt for the daughter of a friend of mine.

It is true that they recommend you not use a quilt in the crib until the baby is old enough. But that doesn't mean the quilt won't get used.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:02 AM

My grandchildren all had quilts and they made great floor mats as babies. As children they don't travel anywhere without taking their quilt for naps, etc. My first quilt was made for my first grandchild :-)
Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 AM

A quilt can be used for tummy time on the floor, so I think they can safely be used from day one. For use in a crib as a covering, I would probably err on the side of caution and wait until the baby can lift his or her head and/or roll over.

However, my son would only sleep on his tummy, and the "back to sleep" recommendations which I do firmly believe in, made him miserable for the first few months - so we did keep covers and bumpers out of his crib for many months since he would not sleep on his back.

Cheers, K
Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 AM

If it's cold, you have to cover them with something. It might as well be a quilt that was lovingly made for the child. Go for it.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Yes all baby docs now say not to cover due to possible suffocation. However even new borns can use a quilt to lay on the floor and put baby on. Etc. So it's still perfectly ok to give a new baby a quilt.
Kat