Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How young is too young for a quilt? >

How young is too young for a quilt?

How young is too young for a quilt?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
I am assuming that if the baby is not able to turn itself over,etc it may be too restricted in their movement?? (suffocate? heaven forbid!).
sandy
As a former police officer and basic EMT (and quilter :) ) we are taught that the issue of a quilt WITH other items can be harmful. For example, a quilt over a baby near the edge of a crib where the matress doesn't fit tightly in the crib and there is a "gap." If you have someone with a history of a SIDS baby, I would make a quilt with a card that says something like, "A soft blanket for your dear one to play upon." I would stay away from flannel or heavy batting. I use poly batting on all kids quilt so they can take the washings. You can always make a summer quilt: top and back, no batting, sewed around the edge most of the way and turned right side out and then quilted and hole closed. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 AM

I suppose suffocation can happen. I take care of a newborn. A few days ago, he fell asleep before I could swaddle him. So I covered him with a receiving blanket and just kind of tucked it around him. When I came back to check on him, the blanket was covering his whole face. He had been wiggling his legs, and it just worked itself up. Very creepy to look at. He was/is fine, but I don't ever want that to happen again. It's no reason to panic, of course. But we do need to be careful.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:42 AM

I don't get why people expect a newborn baby to sleep "through the night". Their tummies are about the size of a gold ball. They don't hold enough to fill them up all night. We fed our dd solids at 5 mos after much pressure from her ped to feed at 4 mos. She developed food allergies and eczema. We held off until 6 mos and she was sleeping through the night well before this time (maybe at around 2-3 mos) ONLY ON BREAST MILK. Can you imagine?? After that we didn't listen to the ped when it came to starting solids. My son, my youngest, didn't get any solids whatsoever until 9 mos but you can bet he was sleeping through the night way before this (only on breastmilk). And on breast milk he was in the top percentile for weight so contrary to what some people thought, I wasn't starving him by not giving him solids-he was in the upper percentiles for weight on only breast milk.

And to keep it on topic he was in a sleep sack also for sleeping.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:48 AM

the American Academy of Pediatrics advises not to have quilts in the crib.

http://www.healthychildren.org/Engli...Room-Safe.aspx
Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 AM

I have made my Granddaughter (20 months, my Avatar) several quilts and she has never used any of them. My daughter still puts her in a sleep sack. I really don't care, if it makes my daughter feel more secure. I just love making the quilts.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:57 AM

Any baby that gets a quilt can lay on it for play time or tummy time or whatever (when our kids were little when they were awake we always laid them on something due to accidents, spit up, etc-quilts are much easier to wash than the carpet), and by the time they are toddlers they will be so attached to it and drag it around everywhere and by then, they can use it as a regular quilt or a cape or a secret hideout or wrap their baby dolls in it or whatever. Win-win.

That was a run-on sentence, but you get my drift. :D
Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 AM

Sometime back I responded to this post stating the over reaction. It still is an over reaction. The number of unexplained SIDS deaths often get blamed on things such as a quilt for sake of finding an answer and bringing closure even when it's wrong. If you are really that worried about it give the parent a copy of the info on baby saftey with the quilt you make. A dear friend prayed and cried with me as we longed for a child. She made a quilt and sent it but died before ever meeting the little ones she prayed for, that quilt is very precious. One of the fastest ways to turn off any new parent is to tell them does and don'ts. The reality is you can destroy your life and theirs with fear of the what ifs or you can live it with confidence.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
I have made my Granddaughter (20 months, my Avatar) several quilts and she has never used any of them. My daughter still puts her in a sleep sack. I really don't care, if it makes my daughter feel more secure. I just love making the quilts.
Her parents don't let her lay on them? On the floor or on the bed or on the grass?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:12 PM

One of the baby quits I made with a corner pocket like the bath towels for babies. That way the baby as he/she grew could walk around with it like a cape or wrap in it. Or when the parents were out they could better wrap baby and have it stay put. What I never used was snowsuits on the babies. Instead I wrapped them in my coat or covered them in blankets in the cold WI winters which was much less stressful then trying to cram them in a car seat with a puffy coat making the staps unbearably tight. Better yet if you're afraid of a quilt make then a car seat cozy thosae are such a wonderful invention and convenience.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
Originally Posted by Sandygirl
I once heard that you should not put a quilt on a baby. If the quilt is too heavy, it may do harm. Does anyone have any idea of what this means? I am assuming that if the baby is not able to turn itself over,etc it may be too restricted in their movement?? (suffocate? heaven forbid!).

I also worry about flamability (sic) of baby quilts.

A friend wants me to make a quilt for her new grandchild that is due in late fall. I just want to make sure she understands the relationship of the age of the baby and a quilt.

anyone?
sandy
This information is correct. With the improvement in the loss of babies to SIDS which by the way also includes suffocation a lot of the time it is recommended no blankets or bumper pads in the crib. Quilts make wonderful tummy time mats for on the floor.
I agree! My daughter didn't let her babies have blankets in the crib, they wore footed sleepers and the temp in the house kept comfortable. The youngest is 14 months old and now has her favorite blanket she sleeps with.