Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna 875 v Pfaff Expressions 4 for FMQ >

Husqvarna 875 v Pfaff Expressions 4 for FMQ

Husqvarna 875 v Pfaff Expressions 4 for FMQ

Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 AM

Default Husqvarna 875 v Pfaff Expressions 4 for FMQ

As the first practical move in my efforts to find a new machine for free motion quilting, I've tried both of these this morning. First thoughts - I had slightly better results with the Husqvarna, though of course it takes time to find the right rhythm for FMQ on an unfamiliar machine (it does for me anyway). I liked the built-in walking foot on the Pfaff - an extra cost for the Husqvarna. Neither felt as smooth or was as quiet as my (cheaper) Janome - but on the other hand they did the job and did it with the thicker threads that the Janome won't take.
A big plus is an excellent dealer - local, offers a day's tuition and ongoing support and advice, which sounds close to miraculous after years of a Janome dealer who just says that any problems must be my fault and has no tuition or follow-up.
On Monday I'm going to try the Horizon at a different Janome dealer.

In the meantime, would like to hear any pluses or minuses for the Pfaff and Husqvarna.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 AM

I would really research the new Pfaff's and Vikings. There is a lot of negative talk about the machines since they merged with Singer in the SVP buyout a few years ago. My new machine choice was a Bernina, but if I were to choose between the options you listed, I would probably really lean towards the Janome Horizon. Just my two cents.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:49 AM

Whatever you decide to do make sure you negotiate for the extras you want/need. Most dealers want to sell their machines so don't be afraid to ask for the walking foot and if the salesperson can't make that decision,, remember go up a level until you get a final no! I used to sell Vikings so I know you get what you ask for within reason. Don't be afraid to go in with other machines you've tested out and what their value is compared to what you're looking at. You can't get it if you don't ask!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I would really research the new Pfaff's and Vikings. There is a lot of negative talk about the machines since they merged with Singer in the SVP buyout a few years ago. My new machine choice was a Bernina, but if I were to choose between the options you listed, I would probably really lean towards the Janome Horizon. Just my two cents.
Yes, I've read quite a few negative comments about these machines, so am a bit wary, though I managed some nice stitching on the Husqvarna. Truth be told, if money was no object, it would almost certainly be the Horizon (no, actually, if money were REALLY no object, it would be a Bernina, but that's definitely not going to happen - the Horizon on special offer is still right at my limits). But I decided to do the research into the slightly cheaper alternatives rather than just go straight for that. I'm going to play with the Horizon on Monday....
Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
Whatever you decide to do make sure you negotiate for the extras you want/need. Most dealers want to sell their machines so don't be afraid to ask for the walking foot and if the salesperson can't make that decision,, remember go up a level until you get a final no! I used to sell Vikings so I know you get what you ask for within reason. Don't be afraid to go in with other machines you've tested out and what their value is compared to what you're looking at. You can't get it if you don't ask!
Yes, I've already laid the ground for negotiation today by making it clear that I'm also looking elsewhere and that I'm impressed by the current offer on the Horizon. I think I'd at least want them to throw in the walking foot if I went for the Husqvarna - can't believe I have to pay extra for that.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:06 AM

I just got the Husqvarna 875 a few months ago and asked for the quilter`s kit with it which includes the walking foot, FM foot and quilter`s table and a few other things....all for free, and the machine was on sale as well....i`m sure you can negotiate and you will get what you want....so far I have absolutely no problem with my Husq....i love it!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Just something else to look into before buying - the cost of other feet you may want in the future. I own 2 Janome machines and when I go looking for another one - it will be the same. The cost of feet for the Janome machines is about half of what other manufacturer feet go for. I was shocked when I went with a friend to get a replacement foot for her Viking and it was almost $30.00 for the free motion foot. This was not a foot with spring and stuff, just a small snap on foot. I couldn't believe it. So, even if you get a good deal with some extras now, look at the price of replacing some feet. Just my two cents in here. I'm sure what ever you get, you will love it!
Let us know what you decide.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by jgriinke View Post
Just something else to look into before buying - the cost of other feet you may want in the future. I own 2 Janome machines and when I go looking for another one - it will be the same. The cost of feet for the Janome machines is about half of what other manufacturer feet go for. I was shocked when I went with a friend to get a replacement foot for her Viking and it was almost $30.00 for the free motion foot.
And these things are even more expensive in the UK! I wanted a needle plate for my Janome, and it cost 35 pounds here, which is 53 dollars at current exchange rates. I got a friend in the States to bring one over for me - cost there was 22 dollars. For the identical item. I don't know how they even begin to justify such differences.