Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am amazed but I shouldn't be! >

I am amazed but I shouldn't be!

I am amazed but I shouldn't be!

Old 06-19-2011, 04:28 AM

Boy this subject really got under my skin. It feels good to vent on this board
Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I TRY to remember that a lot of the questions/requests are from people that really do lack the knowledge of cost, time, and effort required for most needle arts/crafts.

And then there are just the jerks.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 AM

Sorry, you can't afford me!

Someone once pushed and asked how much per hour. Told them $25/ hour plus material. They told me that I must think highly of myself. My response: If I don't, who will?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:46 AM

The first thing I would say is that I can put it on my list, but my list is long and it will be about a year and a half before I get to it. I hand quilt and it takes about 150 hours to quilt a queen bed quilt and at minimum wage they can't afford it. I would also throw in an estimate of the materials. ("You want me to work for less than minimum wage? Would you?")
Old 06-19-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I am amazed at how many people think I can just crank out a project for them on a very short notice! Just because I have a sewing room and machines and such, they come up with all these ideas for me to do for them! I don't wanna! I don't have the time and if I did I would do mine! Much of it I am not even skilled to do.Just amazes me and yet I know it shouldn't but it still does! I am not alone on this I am guessing?

My grandson told me 2 weeks before Christmas he wanted a "huntin" quilt
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: at 7 he fully expected me to have it done for him by Christmas, well...... seeing as he IS the light of my life, I got it done. But I also told him that for his next quilt he needs to give Ya-Ya more time to make it, and maybe he could come help so he sees how long it takes. Can you believe he is now telling his mom he wants to come over some time to help, BUT not to stay all day. What a happy day that will be for me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 AM

My DD has actually pieced a couple of tops, she does a good job but rarely makes time to work on her ideas.

I hemmed 6 pair of jeans for her friend's daughter. Charged just a little cause I know they are having a hard time.

Friend is back next week with a sackful of blouses and pants she wants altered. After a week, I gave them back, said there was no time, gently hinted this was not what I do.

DD asks me why do I consider this work beneath me. And I'm trying my hardest to get along with DD.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:12 AM

Sewing and alterations are not beneath us, just different, and definitely require a different set of skills.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:18 AM

I soooo know what you are talking about- you take thier requests as a compliment but at the same time you feel that they are taking avantage of your time and skill. Years ago I had my boss call and ask of I could make a couple of pillows for thier new home said he needed them in a week of course I said no problem. Well the couple of pillows ended up being 18 pillow shams 10 throw pillows and a king size duvet. He provided fabric only and I had to purchase the batting fiberfill pattern etc. Now keep in mind I worked full time at his company and had to sew when I got off work. I ended up spending close to 40 hours just in sewing. Needless to say when I got this done I now find out what a couple of pillows really means!!!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
Quilting is somehow perceived by the great masses as one of those things that some of us learn at Grandma's knee and is as natural as breathing. I've found that the best thing to do it elevate into an art form. Don't speak of it as just a little hobby. If you think about it, a lot of design decisions, critical thought and talent goes into making every quilt, even a first quilt. A quilt doesn't have to be and ART quilt to be art.

I'm with the poster that said she tells people they can't afford her. That's what I do. I don't even bother wasting by breath trying to educate the users on the difference between garment making and quilting. I've found it's a waste of breath. I'll give away my art but unless it's glass work, I won't work on commission.
This, this, all of this, especially the idea of a quilt being art, regardless of its intended use. I don't even have any interest in "art" quilts, yet I consider quilting an art form. I like everyday things to be beautiful as well as functional. Beautiful doesn't necessarily mean complex or intricate, but all beautiful quilts have things in common like precision, consistency, and careful attention to detail. I think non-crafty people don't understand that these things can't be thrown together by just anyone with a machine.

I deal with a lot of this attitude from others regarding my knitting; they see me wear things I've knitted, and they immediately ask for a hat or a scarf or even a sweater. They have no idea that there are over ten thousand stitches in a single pair of socks. My standard answer is always "No, I won't knit [item] for you, but I can teach you to knit it yourself!" In eight years, I've had no takers. :roll:

As for quilting, I only quilt for myself and for gifts--and the gifts are always for people who will understand and respect the work involved. I just finished a quilt for my sister--she requested a bed-size quilt to coordinate with the throw-size one I gave her for Christmas. Their dog had destroyed their comforter, and I told her if he ate the quilt too, she was never, ever getting another one from me. She understood and bought the fabric, batting, thread, and even a new rotary cutter, mat, and some Omnigrids, so I'd say she earned the commission. ;)
Old 06-19-2011, 06:48 AM

Ditto on VickyS' thread