Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am amazed but I shouldn't be! >

I am amazed but I shouldn't be!

I am amazed but I shouldn't be!

Old 06-19-2011, 06:50 AM

People ask me to do things for them. When I quote them a price, they never want to pay. So I don't do much. I have a few paying customers, but not enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder
My DD has actually pieced a couple of tops, she does a good job but rarely makes time to work on her ideas.

I hemmed 6 pair of jeans for her friend's daughter. Charged just a little cause I know they are having a hard time.

Friend is back next week with a sackful of blouses and pants she wants altered. After a week, I gave them back, said there was no time, gently hinted this was not what I do.

DD asks me why do I consider this work beneath me. And I'm trying my hardest to get along with DD.
AMAZING, isn't it!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
I deal with a lot of this attitude from others regarding my knitting; they see me wear things I've knitted, and they immediately ask for a hat or a scarf or even a sweater. They have no idea that there are over ten thousand stitches in a single pair of socks. My standard answer is always "No, I won't knit [item] for you, but I can teach you to knit it yourself!" In eight years, I've had no takers. :roll:

;)
I learned to knit very early on and would make my friends knitted things, generally in non-wool 'cuz I couldn't afford anything better than the 5 & 10 at 13, then... then I knit my cousins two kids matching all over design fairisle sweaters in wool for Cristmas presents, told her that they needed to be handwashed as they were wool. Of course she threw them in the washing machine and then asked if I could redo them as they were now too small. I remember being amazed at myself that I didn't lay into her. I guess I just realized that she was ignorant. Both of how to take care of good clothing and for even telling me she had ruined them. That was the last I knitted for anyone but my DH or DS who loves crazy colored socks and caterpillar mittens.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:06 AM

I have offered to help the indivdual make what they want..........they can come to my house on Tuesday at 6:30 P.M. and you know what? .........................VOILA.............problem solved...............it that naughty or what? calla

But my neighbor was naughter than I, some relative of hers, ..........always, short notice, shorten jeans ..........1-2 or 3 pairs................emergency.........needed yesterday...........hardly a thank you when finished...........and never a token, not even a bag of M & M's.................well the last pair she shortened she had different lengths in the legs.......taa daa..............problem solved she got canned...........hee hee

Oh, one last thing perhaps, to a non sewer or crafter we shouldn't say............. " oh it was easy".............
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 AM

1. Dear sister needs her wedding dress shortened at the shoulders. She thinks 10 minutes. I showed she what she would get for 10 minutes. Shes like "that would look terible" Took nearly 2 hours, not including fitting time. After all, how many times is your sister going to have a thrid wedding?
2. One af my MANY dear nieces calls up: Do I have a quilt finished I could let her have for a prayer quilt for her church? So finished a quilt top for her. What do I want for it? I bit my lip and said $30.00 (about pays for the thread) because it was a church after all.
3. Another dear niece says can I make my 3 year old great nniece a bag from "horsie" fabric? I will get the fabric for you. Oh oh n o I will get the fabric. Four hours of sewing later I have a bag to give her. I did want to ex periment with my own pattern and after all she is an adorable 3 year old.
4. Another niece is going to be in a wedding and needs her dress taken in "just a bit". In the end I will give in because she can't afford alterations.

And I work full time. and my house looks like c**p.

Conclusions I have reached:
1. I have way too much family.
2. I am indeed the favoite aunt.
2. I need to learn the word "no". (I overvolunteer also!)

Is there a program for sewers to learn to say no? (Just kidding - I know I do it to myself.)
Old 06-19-2011, 07:35 AM

I agree, people do not realize how much work and time goes into it.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 AM

Amen!!! I made a gift for a gift exchange at work. Another friend almost grabbed it out of her hands because it fit her decor (it also fit the recipients decor to a tea). Now she is bugging me to make her the same items -- however the fabric I used is over 5 years old and I used most of what I had in that project. I told her the fabric is not available -- now she asks every time if I have found the fabric.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 AM

Made a queen size trip around the world as a wedding gift. Hand quilted. It was appreciated so much that they wanted me to "make" it bigger so it could be a bed cover instead. Said it couldn't be done. No way was I going to try to add on to it. Accept what I gave and make it work.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 AM

It never ends........unless the magic word no is used! Enjoyed reading all of the amazing stories!!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
Amen!!! I made a gift for a gift exchange at work. Another friend almost grabbed it out of her hands because it fit her decor (it also fit the recipients decor to a tea). Now she is bugging me to make her the same items -- however the fabric I used is over 5 years old and I used most of what I had in that project. I told her the fabric is not available -- now she asks every time if I have found the fabric.
Maybe you could tell her how much fabric it took (plus a little extra) - and after SHE finds it - you would be delighted ???? to show/teach her how to make something like she wants.

(After she gets her own sewing machine, cutting tools, etc etc)
:hunf: :mrgreen: