Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am appaled!........or am I just cheap? >

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

Old 06-20-2010, 08:43 PM

We need some stiff competition in OKC, OK like you have in Lyons. It is SO frustrating...because I find some collection which I "just fall for" online...way in advance (have my eye on a Moda coming in December already...drooling now!).
BUT, even when I ask if they will stock it, they don't...so I end up wanting to take a class, but of course don't want to come to class with fabric purchased elsewhere, which they do not stock...so don't enroll in their class either. Just do not seem very responsive. 5,000 bolts, but not what I'm searching for. Guess I'm way too pickie...(watercolorist) the stupid details matter too much to me. I obsess TOO much!!! But think I might need to visit Colorado. GREAT knit shop in Colorado Springs....sumptuous yarns...and it's been two years...so why not? May just turn up there sometime this summer (go see my brother...yea, right...truth is go shop for fabric/yarn, etc.!) ; - D
Old 06-20-2010, 08:47 PM

Walmart has fq for 1.00 try them.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:49 PM

Yea I noticed at Walmart the other day the $ 1.00-2.00 was now $3.00. So I started looking at all their fabrics and yes
they have all hit the mark up. I imagine that Joamm's and Hancock Fabrics have also jumped. Your not alone in the sticker shock.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:51 PM

Super Wal-mart nearest me sells zero fabric anymore...zero. Still carry about 8-10 colors of redheart acrylic yarn, and a few cotton thread...but phased out all the fabric last year. It's getting harder and harder and harder to find fabric around here. I guess it's the U.S. Dollar losing value? Example, I LOVE that Alton Basak or Barack (or something!) turkish tatting thread, but world situation, etc. is affecting even our hobbies. Folks just won't buy to resell to folks like me.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:46 PM

Ok, I stay away from the fabric if it gets that high. But a few weeks ago I took a class at our new local quilt shop. Fantastic. They didn't give proper preclass instructions to start with so I ended up using most of the class to play catch up.
But when I went to check out to pay for the last yardage that I needed for the class, I need thread. I bought it because it is hard to find. $10.99 for a multicolor spool. Not even a full size cone.
Shocked. But I got it as I needed it to quilt the new project and have it look acceptable.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 AM

I now buy ONLY sale fabric!!!!!!!
I also check to see what fabrics on on Clearence!!!!!
These are the best prices and I can use these fabrics on most of mt projects.. Yes , you can do something about this increase in prices!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by auntmarie
I now buy ONLY sale fabric!!!!!!!
I also check to see what fabrics on on Clearence!!!!!
These are the best prices and I can use these fabrics on most of mt projects.. Yes , you can do something about this increase in prices!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:53 AM

[quote=cimarron I end up wanting to take a class, but of course don't want to come to class with fabric purchased elsewhere, which they do not stock...so don't enroll in their class either.

Buy the fabric and take the class. Show off the beautiful stuff you wanted to buy from them. Either more people will ask for it and the demand will be enough for them to get it or if they don't care why should you? They are still getting money for the class so it should not matter if you buy theirs, use stash or buy elsewhere.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:35 AM

Hi All. fabric prices here in the deep south of New Zealand are approx $36.00NZ for good quality material. Cheaper material from Spotlight which I think is similar to Joann's
range from $10 for "spit through" to $25 for medium quality.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:22 AM

Hi,

I made my first quilt in 1992. It was queen sized. I spent $90.00 just for the fabric for the the top. Growing up in a "cotton mill" town in the South I saw prices at .50 and 1.00 all the time in the 70's and 80's. There are no mills here now and yes. the prices are awful.

It is the same as what happened with the price of tennis shoes in the 80's. We stopped making them because the imports were cheeper, soon shoe prices went up 600%.

I shop sales and support the LQS when possible, also thrift shops, and the net.

Blessings,

Sharon