Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am appaled!........or am I just cheap? >

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 AM

That is a good idea
Old 06-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by skavanau
fabric.com is excellent material, lot of clearnace and speciality fabric and Missouri Star quilt is excellent. Ive ordered from both, fast delivery and quality is better than Joanns, which I use also.
I love fabric.com, they have great name brand fabric at great prices, and with every $35.00 order, shipping is free...you can't beat that! I also shop Missouri Star quilt as well. But I also try to shop my LQS whenever they advertise a special sale, etc. and I try to buy my thread there as well, although I do love connectingthreads.com .
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 06-21-2010, 03:24 PM

I don't think you are cheap. The price increases in everything hits those of us on really fixed incomes first. It is really difficult to find inexpensive good fabrics any more. Here in South Florida, the fabric at Joann's has risen $1 to $2 or more a yard. Guess it goes along with everything else. USE THOSE COUPONS!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by QKO
Originally Posted by peabee
QKO-thank you for so much inside info. would you give us some examples of family owned online businesses? you named some of the big box shops, who are some of the little guys nationwide? i shop both online and local. would have no problem supporting the online "little guy". now, i DO have to watch my dollars, but i'm old enough to know it's not always about the lowest cost. as you explained, there is a long term price to pay for what LOOKS like the lowest price.
What you want to do is go to the websites and read the "about us" page. That will tell you a lot about which of the stores are big-box and which are family owned. There are hundreds of quilt shops on the web, some small, some medium and some large. Another place to get info on independent quilt shops is at the Fabric Shop Owners Network, here's a link to the blog: http://www.fabricshoppersunite.com/blog/
THANKS QKO!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:44 PM

I guess its time for me to start selling my fabric, $3.00 $ 4.00 a yard and its good stuff from quilt shops
Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 PM

Right now I only buy what I need for something I am already making. I have enough projects already lined up that I can quilt for a looooong time without going for more fabric. I do feel it is worth paying more especially if it will be hand quilted.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:48 PM

:roll: I know what you are talking about. I need to make 3 baby quilts for girls. I went to JoAnn's and shopped very carefully. I was shocked when the girl rang it all up. I watch carefully what fabrics I buy. There is no reason for quilt shops charging the $10 to $12 a yard.

I am so very lucky. Over the past 2 to 3 years I have found patterns that I liked and bought the fabric. I came home, placed the pattern on top of the fabric and tied into a bundle.

I have these stored in my stash and have enough for about 24 quilts. Backing being the only thing that is missing. So I guess I am lucky that I did this (hubby didn't think so at the time-ha).

I guess we just have to take the lumps and go on. I wanted some yellow squash recently and it was $2.48 a pound at Wal-Mart and believe me, I wanted it but passed it up. I am now picking about 5 pounds a day from my garden so I have all I want. ha Wal-Mart can keep theirs.

Thanks for listening. Mrs. I
Old 06-21-2010, 06:19 PM

I know what you mean about sticker shock. I fell in love with some fabric and about dropped when it was $12.00 a yard.
It's scary when you see prices like that. Will I got 1 yard instead of a couple. when yardage got to $5.00 I thought that was bad enough but $12. is a killer. No your not cheap if you are you can count me in along with you.
I go on Fabric.com and check out their sales and if you spend $35. or higher shipping is free so that helps.
I went on a website the other day and picked out a yard of this and that that I was looking for and it came to $93.00 and I about needed the smelling salts. But I couldn't find it is the local shop so I bit the bullet and bought it.
for me to go over to Joanna etc it is a 50 mile drive so I don't do it every time I need anything. There are 2 shops in the area but they are the same shop so you have the same thing is each. I have also noticed that they have a lot less than they used to years back.
I'm glad that I went fabric crazy years back and have a huge stash to hunt through.
That helps the cause for sure.
kjym Kathy
Old 06-21-2010, 06:31 PM

Hi to all, I have stop buying fabric unless it is really special.
Jo Ann,s where I live is not that good
Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 PM

Connecting Threads is still selling their fabric for $5.97 a yard and they have beautiful fabric!