Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a quilter >

I am a quilter

I am a quilter

Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 AM

I had a neighbor who told me she wanted me to sew for her. She said how great to have a neighbor she could get to sew for her so she did not have to hire someone to do it. I told her I only sew for family. She never brought it up again.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
I am a quilter, not a seamstress for my neighbors.

Neighbor asked me to hem up 4 pairs of pants for her. I told her that I would be glad to TEACH her how to hem them. She thought about that for a day and then asked me if there was something that she could use that she could iron up her hems so she would not have to touch a needle and thread.

I gave her my JoAnn's coupon and told her that she could find something like that at Joann Fabrics.

I haven't heard if she has them done yet or not.

At up to an hour per pair of pants, I could get a lot of quilting done in that amount of time.

What would you have done, or said?
i think you said it well enough for the both of us. My neighbor asked me to mend some shorts for her once. I did it, and hung them on her doorknob when I was finished. Never heard a peep from her about it. Never again. I'm not as nice as I used to be.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:53 AM

same thing Barb
Old 08-29-2011, 07:56 AM

You were much more helpful than I would have been! I would have just said no, I don't sew for other people. I've done it, don't want to do it again...no matter how small the job because it doesn't end with that one small job of hemming. They keep coming back with little things you to do!!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 AM

I have sewed on buttons for friends and then I fraycheck all of the buttons so I didn't get it back I would hem the pants if it is a good friend
Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 AM

My friend at work wanted me to make cushions for her outdoor furniture....piping and all. I told her I only quilt and she was insistent that since I had a sewing machine, it would be easy. I told her that since she was paying to have them made, wouldn't she rather have someone that does that everyday rather than have me muddle through?....She only had 12 chairs to recover??!!...what a nightmare that would have been for me!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 AM

You had a good response. I tell people that DH had to wait 18 months for me to sew a button on his shirt (serioulsy, he did). So if they want to wait for me to do it on my time, which could be a year or two from now, I'd be happy to do it.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM

I have hemmed pants for an elderly couple I am friends with. Then their 30-something daughter came to visit and went outlet shopping, came home with a pair of pants SHE wanted hemmed. I started to feel used at this point.
When I finished I quoted a price, they said that was too much, they could get it done much cheaper. I suggested they get them done at the cheaper place in the future.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 AM

I had a "friend" show up at my house one day with a stack of jeans that needed the zippers replaced. She said since I like to sew she thought I could do them for her. I told her I didn't even do my own.

I have a neighbor that likes to buy things at garage sales and bring them to me to mend. It took me a year to do it last time and she hasn't brought me anything recently.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:05 AM

My father volunteered my sewing services to his next-door neighbor once. Privately, I told my dad that I hate alterations. I did these anyways and charged appropriately, hoping to ward off more requests. I hope that worked. The man paid my price, but I think both him and dad thought it was going to be far less than what I charged. I don't charge my parents, but when they start sending over every Tom, Dick and Harry, that's a different story.