Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a quilter >

I am a quilter

I am a quilter

Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 AM

Some people are always looking for an easy way out; good for you for not letting her take advanage.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 AM

I know the feeling, too! My son's friend came in about Xmas time last year (just after I got my new machine)- he had about 1/4 yard of some heavy leather, and asked me if I would make some strap that broke off the seat on his motorcycle!. I did some sewing of clothes when I was a teenager, but haven't touched a machine in about 35 years extept for piecing quilts! I gave it some thought, was afraid to ruin my machine-didn't know if I had the right needle-and heavy duty thread-anyway, I found some old stuff in my 35 year old sewing kit (that I really had to search for!) and said I couldn't guarantee anything, but I would give it a go. I made it using his broken one as a pattern, and luckily, didn't harm my machine! Do you think I would have gotten a thank-you??? I was away when he picked it up, and haven't heard from him since. My son says he is happy with it and has it on his motorcycle. Never again!!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:18 AM

Well, I do sew, but not for others unless the price is right. Got burnt right in the buns for doing that in the past. I prefer to just stick with my quilting and sewing projects that I choose.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

I use to sew clothing years ago. Now I won't sew for anyone. All I do now is make quilts. I always hated mending, never did any more that I just had to do. If asked I wouls say I don't do mending.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat
I had a neighbor who told me she wanted me to sew for her. She said how great to have a neighbor she could get to sew for her so she did not have to hire someone to do it. I told her I only sew for family. She never brought it up again.

To say something like that requires one large set of stones.....am thinking I would have told her that I don't sew for anyone outside my household for free....and here is my pricelist (of course with prices beyond what she would pay!).....LOL
Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM

I'm dumb, I probably would have done it.I did alterations for 20 years so it wouldn't take me long. I hem and fix stuff for family and friends but I have let them all know not to ask too often because I'm retired and I quilt and sew when I want to now....not for a living anymore!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:35 PM

The only people I do things like that for are my elderly parents. Otherwise, no.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:37 PM

I am a pushover and a softey. I probably would have hemmed her pants for her.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

My answer: MENDING? Are you kidding me? I don't mend my own things - let alone anyone elses.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 PM

I would have done it, but then I like to do things like that. As long as they don't mind them done with a blind stitch. I don't like hand sewing so I won't do it.
But it doesn't take but few minutes to run it up on the machine and I can spare that for someone with no machine or skills.