Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a scrappy quilter.... >

I am a scrappy quilter....

I am a scrappy quilter....

Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 AM

Amazing the quilts that the fabulous members make! Thanks for sharing this link....I have somehow missed it. I bookmarked it and will be spending time browsing. May even share a photo or two.

Have a blast with your project! I am working on a Dresden Plate Scrappy quilt right now.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
The Scrappy Quilt show thread is my all time favorite. I too go back and stroll through all the photos. So much inspiration .
Ditto that!!!! I have a tablet of graph paper nearby and when I see something I really want to try, I sketch it out! A great idea. One day, I'll add a couple pics of my own.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM

I have to say that this post really motivated me! I have been building a stash for the express purpose of doing some scrappy quilts. Yet I worry about colors not matching, what pattern, etc. I spent some time today on the Quiltville site. Also, the suggestions to use 2 inch squares as leaders/enders - never thought of that! Seems much less overwhelming to piece blocks here and there in the middle of other projects.

I have storage bins on my grocery list, so that I can start saving those scraps (divided by size). Also, in working on another project tonight, which involved sewing 3 inch squares on the corners of a 6 inch square - I saved all of the triangles I cut off (actually I retrieved them from the trash, sewed 2 of them together, and was very happy to see a slightly larger than 2 inch block of half square triangles!)

Previously, I felt guilt for not keeping various scraps of fabric, but I could see myself getting overwhelmed with scraps everywhere that I have no idea what to do with! But after reading again about Bonnie Hunter's system for scraps (and I am sure there are many different systems out there) - I was inspired that this too I could do. Plus the point made that all of these scraps - that is $$$ being thrown away; instead, why not have a beautiful quilt?!

Still a bit worried that I can put something together where the colors are pleasing to the eye (I will probably be a bit more of a controlled scrappy quilter at first) - but already excited about a couple of patterns off of the Quiltville site, so will be looking to turn my scraps into 2-1/2 inch strips (if possible). This will also be a little easier on my budget.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by emlee51 View Post
Anyway...the quilts are so inspiring! I especially liked (I loved them all!) the one on page 3 by thimblebug6000 (post#23). The block is the Sunny Lanes Block from www.quilterscache.com.
I know exactly what you mean. I like the sunny lanes block as well. I've made it three times, using up 2" squares. I made it with blue, red, and yellow. You can see them here.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...w-t180360.html
Old 07-09-2012, 03:49 AM

justflyingin - love your quilts! All of these quilts are so very pretty. Another pattern to try out...
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 AM

There are some beauties on this thread!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 AM

I too love scrappy quilts. Very glad you reminded me of this post with all the scrappy quilts!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:24 AM

Me too! they are my favorite!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 AM

I love scrappy quilts too! I especially like the more "crazy" or "wonky" styles - they help me see the beauty in randomness. (I tend to try to make everything very uniform, straight, perfect, regular, patterned....I have a tough time doing "wonky".) They're always my favorites at quilt shows - so much to look at! Love, love, love 'em...but haven't made one myself yet!

Right now I'm saving up scraps from all the quilts I'm making this year. I'm slicing them down to strips 6.5" long and in random widths - when I'm done with all the quilts I have planned out for the year (I'm making almost a dozen quilts, for Christmas presents) I plan on making myself one last "year end" quilt with all the scraps from all these quilts. It'll be a bizarre mix of colors and patterns but I think I'll get a kick out of it and it'll be a nice reminder of a whole year of work!

I couldn't quite bring myself to use wonky cuts though...I'll get there some day!! LOL
Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 AM

I am working on piecing a 3" block scrapy quilt now. No two pieces alike (I hope). I just cut out a square as I used the fabrics and have been collecting for quite a while. 783 different fabrics. Does that give you any idea of the size of my stash?