Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I am starting a quilting club!!!! (at my church)

Blog Entries
    My sister and 2 friends are starting to meet this month for some quilting/sewing/tatting/whatever time. We're very excited!! We're keeping it very informal and meeting for about 2 hours once a month - I wanted enough time for coffee and dessert! I used to go to a little church/homeschool group meeting in Illinois where we had girls of all ages and of various skill levels. It was wonderful to share with those who were just starting, or to learn from those who were experts. I learned so much from those kind, patient ladies.
    As we begin, we're going to set the tone clearly before we invite any others: encouragement and honest constructive advice, no gossip, good desserts, sharing of responsibilities (like cleanup).
    I hope you'll post about how your group is doing!

That sounds AWESOME!!!! What a wonderful way to fellowship and bring others together. I would love to get involved in a group like that!

Hey, congradlations to you all. I think this is all really great. I haven't said anything to my church yet but this sounds like something that might work out for my church. The church I am referring to is Lockland Baptist Church here in Nashville,Tn.To all my sewing friends have a blessed day.

A thought...give your 'charter members' encouragement to help you with the overall plan for the quilt group. The more they are involved, the better the response will be. You are on the right track though! Please keep us posted.

Another update on our church groups. We meet for 2.5 hours in the morning, so we can catch up on our weekly happenings, have coffee, dessert and still the time goes by so fast. We also, do the hats and scares for the winter clothes drive. There so much a group of you can get done in the time together. Good Luck and have lots of fun!!!!

I meet with 7 other women every Thursday at a nearby church. We quilt from 5:30 pm to 8:00 pm. We always have 2 quilts being quilted. 1 quilt is made and given to the Baptist Childern's Home in St Louis,Mo. The second quilt is a member's quilt. We take turns bringing in our quilts to be quilted by the group. We also go to St Louis every year to watch the quilts that are made from all over Mo, auctioned off by the Childern's Home. We've gone to Quilt shows together and to shop for material for our new quilts. We always have fun,fun,fun

You could do blocks and then if everyone made two and use one to make a donation quilt. Some churches permit auction of such quilts, some donate them to needy families or families who have a fire or tragedy of some sort. Your ideas sound good although an hour might be a bit quick once you get going. We meet from 10AM to about 3PM --every other month we have pot luck -on opposite meetings we have brown bag. We do a fun raiser quilt every year and donate to local charities. Food pantry, foster care, homeless shelter, Center for Survivors etc. The other group I belong to makes kids quilts. The hospital there is a center location for kids who have been abused. When they come in they can pick a quilt and wrap up in it. They then get to keep it. Its amazing to hear how those quilts wrap their little bodies and souls. One of our members is a nurse in that unit and she said it brings tears to her eyes to see them wrap up in the quilts.

I think one hour is too short. By the time you discuss any business issues and show and tell, etc. you're out of time. I would start with at least two hours so people could bring something to work on then go from there. If the time needs to be increased later it can. My quilt guild has a business meeting once a month with show and tell and a program with a visiting speaker then just a work meeting another day where you can bring whatever you're working on.

I started a group a year ago and we now have 12 members unfortunately can not accomedate more as we are in a small seniors hall...we meet twice a month on a wednesday all day...we have beginners and others so we help the beginner..show then techniques. have a block of the month on the go at present or you can just do whatever you wish......we are starting back at the end of sept.....theme christmas......we also take turn making lunch which usually is soup and dessert....this is the time we exchange out thoughts on different things......if is great as many of are group are widows with no family near by,,,,,,hope your group flourishes like ours ...good luck

hello! such a great thing to be involved with.... best to you in your efforts....
    we started a quilting group almost 2 years ago now at our church.... our goal was to make quilts to give away to those who needed to feel the love of God through our hands... it's a ministry, which is wonderful....
    we chose, after some thought and prayer, to make quilts for the homeless in Lawrence, MA... and donate through the Lazarus House Ministries (shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, transitional living, job training, thrift shop, etc....)... the decision was made by consensus....
    since then, we've donated 90 quilts, first having them blest by the priest at Mass.
    we quilt every Tuesday afternoon from 1-4 p.m. we also have one evening a month (6:30 to 9 p.m.) for those who can't make the afternoons. all quilts have labels that say "made especially for you with love by the St. Joseph Quilters, Salem, NH" and the date. they're anywhere in size from lap/crib to queen-sized.
    we stop during July and August with the Tuesday afternoon meetings but keep the 3rd Wednesday night of the month in tact.... making "special projects" that our members can give as gifts from them to family, friends, etc. (beach bags, special pillowcases...)
    we also take periodic "field trips": Lowell Quilt Museum, a shop hop, and a special fabric outlet (so far, anyhow!).
    all decisions are made in concert...
    i coordinate email and send links to patterns, materials, quilt collections, instructional videos, etc....
    it's a loose community, but we have produced huge numbers of quilts, including a "hearts and flowers" paper-pieced, queen-sized, every-member-made-several-squares quilt to raffle for two overseas ministries... and another queen sized quilt to benefit the church....
    we accept fabric donations of ALL sorts (only cotton, tho'); our Church gave us some money to get a bolt of warm 'n natural batting... we bought an inexpensive iron, ironing board, and have gotten donations of cutting boards and rotary cutters... we usually use our own cutters, tho', and always come with our sewing machines....
    frequently we pick up additional backing material (we try to always back our children's quilts with flannel) on our own, have gotten some fabric from a local shop, and occasionally tap our own stashes...
    our primary goal is to enjoy our faith community with one another... we giggle A LOT, talk quite a bit, occasionally have workshops for the members given by other members (we have some wonderful quilters in the group who have a lot to share...)
    we love having coffee, enjoy sharing cakes, cookies, etc....
    it's just a fun, fun time! we have more and more and more people wanting to, and actually able, to join us....
    we just let people know when and where we meet both in our bulletin and on our web site....
    i think someone needs to be the communicator, and we have someone who takes care of finances... others jump in to organize trips, help with teaching new quilters, fix one another's sewing problems, show and tell our creations (we're great cheer leaders!), share resources we've discovered, and raise issues we need to settle, making suggestions.... everybody has a gift, and we count on one another to use them for the ministry....
    would love to "chat" more, but i've already written too much.... there's a lot we've learned, and i can't remember it all....
    blessings on you and your work for God's people.... enjoy!!!!
    anna

I live near Monroeville & am definately interested in this! I agree with everyone else, tho------one hour doesn't seem like enough time.......especially for someone just learning! I'll be watching this thread----------thanks!

Mary Lou

even for our once/month meeting for those with day jobs, we say 6:30 to 9, but we usually close the doors at 10! i agree.... we need longer than an hour... anna

I'd love to join you but I'm in IL.

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions.
    Those thta have repsonded here and in my PM all are very much apreciated.

About this hour thing.
    I know an hour is not much time. I thought an hour because like most people now days if it is to long they wont come.

I think I am going to leave it up to the quilters maybe have an initial meeting to see what direction they want to go in. Since this will be all of our ministry. I am thinkign 2 hours will be the min and probably where it is and of course if someone can not be there for the full 2 hours then they can just pop in.

I am really looking forward to this. My mind is just swirling with ideas.
    I would liek to do a block of the month with bible blocks and a story to go with them. I have to google it I think I saw one somewhere before.

tuppermern: You are more then welcome to join us. Although its not in Mornoeville. My church is in Ardara just south of Trafford. But I live in Monroeville and we could car pool if you like :P

Again thank you everyone you have given me a lot to think of.
    Please keep the suggestions coming if you think of more or if someone has something to ad.

Thanks !

sounds like fun...but I am sure that those meeting will be a lot longer than one hour.........

Our little group use a church hall also......we all are not members of that congregation but all are welcome.

We begin by brown bagging it and have a quickie lunch with chat.....and then we try to get to work..

We have a few ladies a bit more experienced than the others and we have learned a lot from them.

We meet every Thursday around noon and our quilting begins soon after.......we have met a lot of new friends and fellow quilters.....

we do have a few who don't quilt but they are willing to use the ripper and press for the others so that we all give to our charitable projects.

Hope this gives you a few ideas........

I wish I was near by. I would love to be in a quilting club.

why not start one? know any church that might support it? or, a senior center? or, a community center? even a library kiosk... just post a note with a telephone and see who responds....

Quote Originally Posted by Davida
    I wish I was near by. I would love to be in a quilting club.

My church has what we call a small group. It runs for 8 to 10 weeks at my home. We have a devotional first from the book "What I Learned From God While Quilting" then we go into my sewing room and kitchen and cut and sew baby quilts for our local pregnancy care center. This is my third round and each time, the new ladies love it. Your group sounds like it's going to fun.

Blog Entries
    Have you ever heard of Angel Babies?

Here there was an article some time ago in our newspaper
    about a small group that used old wedding gowns to make
    lovely gowns to bury babies in. One lady donated her own
    gown because she only had sons, and wanted it to make a
    difference in someone's life, such as a pair of grieving parents.
    I think these would give comfort to the makers as well as the
    parents.

our group was birthed in our church. we have women and a man from many denominations. we meet weekly and make quilts for charity and our personal use. my Mom is the teacher. she teaches techniques and we use them in our personal projects. we had our first retreat this year and it was a great day of fun. we also go on road trips to quilt shows and quilt shops in NJ and PA. Summer hiatus is just about over and we'll probably start our year at the show in Oaks,PA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Pastor
    our group was birthed in our church. we have women and a man from many denominations. we meet weekly and make quilts for charity and our personal use. my Mom is the teacher. she teaches techniques and we use them in our personal projects. we had our first retreat this year and it was a great day of fun. we also go on road trips to quilt shows and quilt shops in NJ and PA. Summer hiatus is just about over and we'll probably start our year at the show in Oaks,PA.
    Speaking of

How do you find out about quilt shows.
    I mean the big ones are pretty well advertised but the little ones.

Since I have started quilting i have only seen a flyer for 1 about a year ago but I missed it

Is there some website where you can find if there is shows in your area?

I was thinking that would make a neat field trip

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think that is so sweet of you to do. That sounds like it would be fun. God bless.

I think your club will be a great success!!!! But I'll bet your 1 hour sessions go by the wayside very quickly. Have fun with it, all of you

sometimes your local quilt shop will have information on quilt shows near you. or you could just plan a shop hop to the quilt shops in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    How do you find out about quilt shows.
    On line, at your local quilt shop, in quilting magazines...
    Let it be know that you have a group going. I'll bet you start getting information coming to you. Our guild sends out information to other groups about our annual quilt show. Once you are on the list for one, you can discover information about others through mailings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast