Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Applaud Plaiders >

I Applaud Plaiders

I Applaud Plaiders

Old 01-07-2015, 04:19 PM

I made a queen sized flannel quilt out of 5" plaid squares. It came out beautifully, but I will say that not one of the 15 different flannel plaids was printed on grain. All were seriously off. I corrected as much as I could but in the end, many were slightly crooked. I don't think most people would notice. If I look carefully, I could see it, but generally, because plaids are very busy anyway, I just don't notice and I doubt anyone else does either.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:27 PM

One block at a time along the lines of the print--I love plaids, but I want them to look straight, so I suck it up and do the fussy cutting.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:30 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505136[/ATTACH] Heavy weight tartan is not too bad to keep in line. This is all kilt weight but the last time I used tartan in a quilt it was a lighter weight wool and it was a nightmare to work with. As far as that's concerned its definitely in the never again camp, but the heavy stuff is fine. I opted for tartan accessories for the house to see me through to spring. I didn't take any great care with making these, just wanted the practice of working with this kind of fabric before tackling larger projects and to make stuff without recourse to patterns etc. I'm not a sewer so this is fairly new to me but is definitely the way I learn most effectively. I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to tackle zips. I've watched the clips but still feel a need to watch more and more and ......
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-07-2015, 07:22 PM

I love working with plaids. Yes, I do cut single layer following the line of the design. And I like to mirror the triangles in a block if it uses both halves in the same one. But the finished look is worth it in my opinion. Somehow it just feels good to look at!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:20 AM

You are all far better than me - stripes, plaids, dots anything with a line in it I don't do. I totally ruin whatever I am doing so I just figure, let thems that can do!!!! I am one of thems that can't. I admit it, I live with it and I am still a happy camper. I can even cut on a line and ruin something. So basically I do what I am comfortable with and enjoy and I don't ever want to lose that feeling. There is plenty of other fabric I can use and thems that do the plaids and stripes do a million times better than me and they enjoy it. So..........go for it you bunch of striped plaids. I envy your abilities and talent. Edie
Old 01-08-2015, 03:33 AM

I remember seeing a Cathedral Window posted (on here I think), with plaids in the middle of the blocks, and it was gorgeous!!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:36 AM

Found it!!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t126095.html
Old 01-08-2015, 03:53 AM

I'm working with some plaids right now. They're going into a scrappy, 1920s looking, "lovers' knot," quilt. Most of the fabric prints are pretty ugly...only something a great granddaughter could love. The quilt will be used in an old cabin. I think that the plaids add some authenticity to the look. I'm not worrying about if they're straight, or not. I kinda like them off kilter.

~ C
Old 01-08-2015, 06:16 AM
shy

I too like the plaid look ..But as said in my own world all must be just right..In the picture first thing I notice is one of the off triangles..It would bug me until fixed..So I stay away from them..And enjoy the ones who get it right..Love flannel done with plaid
Old 01-08-2015, 06:58 AM

Normally I fussy cut plaids too, as the off grain appearance bugs me to no end. However, sometimes that just isn't possible. I had a whole stack of flannel plaids to make pajama pants and decided the material was too thin and wouldn't wear well enough in the stress areas, like knees and butts LOL, so I started cutting a quilt-as-you-go for our daughter. Here is the result. Nothing matches, but in the grand scheme of things, it came out lovely and was her favorite cuddle quilt, until her Christmas gift this year.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505208[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails side-one-katies-flannel-quilt.jpg