Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Applaud Plaiders >

I Applaud Plaiders

I Applaud Plaiders

Old 01-08-2015, 07:06 AM

I think it is either something you love or admire from afar. I use some plaids and a friend uses them in almost every quilt (her favorite) and neither of us fussy cut, just treat it like any other fabric. I know not all are happy with that but I decided I wanted to use them and wasn't quite up to losing my sanity and just went with it. once I got used to it I was fine. Of course some of you may have way more sanity than I do - I couldn't afford to lose any!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:37 AM

I have made 2 red work quilts and used a plaid in the 9 patch. I just cut and did not worry about the lines being straight. They looked great. I checked out some antique quilts and the plaids were wonky. I loved all of them.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:25 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505225[/ATTACH]
My dearly departed sister made the stars and attached them to the background fabric. I found this with lots of plaids and the pattern. It's a lap quilt. I bought more plaids and placed them all around each star and finished the quilt. I love this quilt because it was made by my sister and myself. Very sentimental.

Sorry I didn't put the whole quilt in here. I thought a snap shot of a few blocks would give you the right idea. I've shown this whole quilt before in 'Pictures'. It needs to be ironed. I have had it rolled up for a few years.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I have made several quilts from plaid cotton men's shirts and I never bother with getting the plaid perfectly cut on grain. Sometimes you can, other times the plaid is a print that isn't straight and you have to just go with it. Once the quilts are done, they look lovely, straight or not.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

I LOVE that star quilt, jcrow...!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:36 PM

I just don't worry and use them. Whenever I think something I make is a little off or not quite right--I think about the Gees Bend Quilts. They made postage stamps out them they were so famous. This is my fun hobby and I want to keep it that way
Old 01-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Plaid quilts can be quite charming, but don't focus on perfection with the plaid prints. If you look at antique quilts, the plaids go in many directions and they make a gorgeous quilt.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

jcrow, I love the quilt and the story that goes with it. Thanks for showing it.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:17 PM

Here's 2 plaid quilts that I've made, working with plaids are fun. The star quilt belongs to my son, he wanted a plaid quilt. The bird quilt was a block of the month from my guild, the plaid blocks were made in a class. None of the birds were the same size,so they sat in the UFO drawer for years. I finally sewed strips to the sides of the blocks to make them a uniform size.
Sharon in Texas
Attached Thumbnails ctqg-show-2011-001.jpg   bird-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by purplefiend; 01-08-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:05 AM

when I used a plaid I ended up using scissors to cut long stripes and individual pieces. The printed plaid didn't follow the warp or weft threads. I used fray stuff on the edges after cutting. It was a long and frustrating job but the end result was fantastic and worth it.