Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Applaud Plaiders >

I Applaud Plaiders

I Applaud Plaiders

Old 01-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Default I Applaud Plaiders

Every once in a while I see a picture here that has used plaid fabric. I just know that if I tried to put some in anything that I do, it would turn out awful. Anyone who can get it to line up nicely deserves a prize. I tried cutting some once, and it just did not want to co-operate. So to you who make things look easy, I love looking at them.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM

I've noticed that a lot of plaids end up being crooked on at least one side. I actually find it charming.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Every once in a while I see a picture here that has used plaid fabric. I just know that if I tried to put some in anything that I do, it would turn out awful. Anyone who can get it to line up nicely deserves a prize. I tried cutting some once, and it just did not want to co-operate. So to you who make things look easy, I love looking at them.
a student once asked how to make a particular block. so before she came over i just pulled a few complementery fabrics from my scrap stash. one was a christmas plaid. we both sewed the block, she following along as i showed her the construction steps. i used the plaid. was one of the prettiest blocks i have ever made. she fell in love w it & i had to let her take it home w her lol. i fussy cut my plaids & stripes and use lines w/in the prints to use as stitching guides. no, the prints aren't on the straight of grain, but with careful stitching, it will work well. tho i too like the folksy appeal of off lines in the quilts i see, in my own little world, all things need to be neat, orderly and aligned
Old 01-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

When you are right on top of it, assembling the block, it will bug you. but once it is all together in a quilt you don't notice the ones that are off. Give it a try.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:09 AM

I heard once that you should cut plaids at an angle not straight across the line of the plaid. Maybe look at that and see what it looks like
Old 01-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
When you are right on top of it, assembling the block, it will bug you. but once it is all together in a quilt you don't notice the ones that are off. Give it a try.
I agree. I go NUTS when the plaids are crooked but they do seem to blend in since plaids are normally very busy prints. This was in a F&P Love of Quilting magazine. They did a TV show on this pattern and Liz Porter did her sample in flannel plaids which inspired me to make this one.
Attached Thumbnails amish-triangles-outside-border.jpg  

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 01-07-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:35 PM

I made a quilt for daughter #1 with plaid fabric for the sashing. Had to cut the plaid fabric very carefully, one layer at a time. Thought never again. Daughter #2 saw it and wanted the same exact quilt - dang, had to do it all over again. Now, daughter #3 is jealous that she doesn't have one also. I have more of the fabric, so guess that I will have to make her one too. Here is a link to the pictures that I put on here of this quilt:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...dd-t52342.html
Old 01-07-2015, 01:46 PM

I love plaids, and use them all the time, and not just by themselves or with solids. They look wonderful in scrap quilts, I also love checks and dots!!
Old 01-07-2015, 03:09 PM

Put me in the camp of fussy plaid cutters! LOL It really bugs me to see a plaid or striped border that "veers" but even smaller pieces in blocks need to be cut with the pattern not the grain for me.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:24 PM

*** That quilt pic reminds me of a Warm Flannel Shirt.
*** Just beautiful.
*** I use plaids in scrappy quilts and the twisted off square blocks gives them character.