Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Applaud Plaiders >

I Applaud Plaiders

I Applaud Plaiders

Old 01-09-2015, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I agree. I go NUTS when the plaids are crooked but they do seem to blend in since plaids are normally very busy prints. This was in a F&P Love of Quilting magazine. They did a TV show on this pattern and Liz Porter did her sample in flannel plaids which inspired me to make this one.
Your plaids are perfectly straight.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:27 PM

You can also do a kaleidoscope type of effect with plaids, or 4 patch posie, I think it's called--get some really cute effects.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:26 PM

I starch until the fabric can nearly stand on its own.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:00 PM

My plaids aren't always straight, I'm content to let them do their own thing.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:43 AM

Griege goods (base fabric) is stretched on a frame during the printing process. There is no way stripes or plaids etc will ever be perfectly straight. The minds' eye corrects this when looking at the patterns from a distance. I love plaids in a quilt esp as inner borders and sections of blocks. Cut them on grain and enjoy using them.

Love the quilt posted!
sandy
Old 01-10-2015, 06:26 AM

I make simple charity quilts for Project Linus. Got the idea online to look for good shirts from thrift stores to make cozy, mostly plaid or simple shirting, quilts. I don't worry about perfectly lining up the plaids. I have found wonderful, high quality shirts with maybe a spot on the sleeve. The quilts come out homey and charming and I hope are a comfort to the children who receive them. I have a tendency when using new fabric to make them suitable for little kids with cutesy fabric, but there is a need for quilts for adolescent and teenage boys, too. I enjoy the challenge of making something useful out of discards.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505136[/ATTACH] Heavy weight tartan is not too bad to keep in line. This is all kilt weight but the last time I used tartan in a quilt it was a lighter weight wool and it was a nightmare to work with. As far as that's concerned its definitely in the never again camp, but the heavy stuff is fine. I opted for tartan accessories for the house to see me through to spring. I didn't take any great care with making these, just wanted the practice of working with this kind of fabric before tackling larger projects and to make stuff without recourse to patterns etc. I'm not a sewer so this is fairly new to me but is definitely the way I learn most effectively. I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to tackle zips. I've watched the clips but still feel a need to watch more and more and ......
I adore these plaid pillows. We have red/maroon leather couches and plaid pillows would look great. I will start gathering plaid. Thanks for the picture.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:54 AM

I took this "plaid place" as a class a few years back and I remember the instructor saying we do plaids "slightly off-grain" intentionally or you'll make yourself neurotic trying to get them all straight. I agree. And honestly I don't even notice now.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 03:30 AM

Do people treat gingham the same as a plaid? I'm asking because one of the projects I have on the go just now is a little red gingham baby quilt. I love the freshness of gingham but it drives me nuts when It goes off grid, especially when I'm doing my best to keep it perfectly in line. The centre of the quilt is now finished but I'm wondering if it might have been easier if I'd cut it diagonally across the grain so that the wonky bits are less noticeable.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Here is a sample of how not to worry about matching plaids. This is one of my all time favorite quilts.

Violets to Greet You

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505976[/ATTACH]
peace
Attached Thumbnails dsc05082.jpg