Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do??? >

I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do???

I asked for it, I got it, NOW what do I do???

Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
As maviskw said, you need to read more than my original post. Rereading my first post, I can understand how it could be misunderstood, as my words did not really explain the wonderful relationship I have with my daughter. I posted more of an explanation, and had you read through the thread, you would see that you actually do NOT have it straight. I am so tired of people bashing my daughter in this thread without knowing what they are talking about! Bashing her is bashing me, and it hurts. Your post is just harsh and uninformed. And where did you get that she "demanded" anything??? I love this board, but I surely am becoming very discouraged with it. I doubt I'll ever post a question again as a new thread.

Again for those of you who have read what I may not have made clear and still understood, and those that have posted kind comments and wonderful suggestions, I thank you so much.
Oh Kerry, you have explained this so many times. I really hope you don't let the unpleasant responses keep you from starting a thread again, as I certainly want to see you post the finished project...

I PM'd you, but I am going to repeat what I said there, because some comments just keep coming from folks who don't understand and who haven't read all the comments. I think you are a terrific mother and the relationship you have with your daughter is special. I really admire how you have answered the sour comments. Your responses show so much maturity and compassion.

I hope you have enough suggestions that you have sort of an idea where this quilt design will end up. That is the hardest part for me. Right now I have "possibilities" for my next quilt dancing in my head. I will be glad when I settle on one.

Take care,
Dina
Old 12-28-2013, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I think this should be a lesson for all of us. If we want to post an answer to a thread, it's best to read all the replies first. (All 383 of them, if that's what's there.) And then sometimes we need to go back to the original post and try to figure out just what is needed. Yes, it takes time, but we would all feel better.
And to present things clearly in the initial post, so that few clarifications are needed.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 12-28-2013, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
And to present things clearly in the initial post, so that few clarifications are needed.

hugs,
charlotte
I think the way it was presented in the initial post was very clear. I've noticed on this thread, and on others, posters don't always answer the question posed but feel free to weigh in on another aspect of the situation. Kerry asked for help with a quilt pattern that would use two fabrics. She didn't ask for anyone to give their opinion on her daughter's expectations or whether she should make the quilt using the fabrics she received. Yet some posters felt free to criticize her daughter, or advised Kerry to refuse, when that was not the question asked.

Perhaps when we respond, we need to check to make sure we are answering the question asked. Kerry asked a quilting question, not a personal question. The responses should have been quilting answers, not personal comments. If we are all a little more careful, we will not cause anyone to feel unwelcome or discourage new posts.

JMHO...
Old 12-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
I think the way it was presented in the initial post was very clear. I've noticed on this thread, and on others, posters don't always answer the question posed but feel free to weigh in on another aspect of the situation. Kerry asked for help with a quilt pattern that would use two fabrics. She didn't ask for anyone to give their opinion on her daughter's expectations or whether she should make the quilt using the fabrics she received. Yet some posters felt free to criticize her daughter, or advised Kerry to refuse, when that was not the question asked.

Perhaps when we respond, we need to check to make sure we are answering the question asked. Kerry asked a quilting question, not a personal question. The responses should have been quilting answers, not personal comments. If we are all a little more careful, we will not cause anyone to feel unwelcome or discourage new posts.

JMHO...
Yeah, maybe so... but she did say that she made a big MISTAKE in asking for fabric, she thought the fabric was crappy, and she was limited to just what she was given. In fact she didn't even outright ask for pattern suggestions, she only asked "What do I do now?" To top it off, she ended the post with "GRRRRR". So how would anyone construe that she was happy about the situation? I think it was a lot of mixed messages between the original post and what she said in later comments.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 AM

How about Delectable Mountain?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 PM

Personally, I have read every post on this thread and think that the only question asked of Kerry was suggestions for quilt patterns. Yes, she wasn't pleased with the quality of fabric or the limited color palette, but I never got that she was unhappy with her daughter for wanting mom to make a quilt with the material she got for Christmas! For anyone to negatively talk about someone's children...that's just a no-no, unless you are a bestie in person friend and even then you better tread carefully. Whatever happened to the axiom I was taught as a child "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all"? Keep the responses about quilting and that's it. As a mom of 3 daughters, I totally understand where Kerry is with her relationship with her fabulous daughter!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:41 AM

D9P would work, just put the prints in the corners since they won't get cut and will add the color see wants.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 AM

Kerry, I got your message, typed a reply and when I hit send, it blanked out my PM section and now I can't access it ((((((hugs))))) right there beside you, all the way!!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
Yes, you are right, you don't get it. I responded to someone a little while ago, but I will repeat it here and hope that everyone who misunderstands why she would give ME fabric to make HER a quilt will get a better understanding. My daughter and I are very, very close. She is my only daughter, and almost everything I make is hers - her choice, and my choice. It was sort of an unspoken understanding when I mentioned fabric to her that whatever she bought I would be making into a quilt for her. I do not quilt for others, I do not sell quilts, and I can only put so many quilts to good use in my own home. I love making things for my daughter. I am thinking that perhaps you do not have a daughter and therefore cannot understand a really close mother/daughter relationship. It WAS a gift, not disguised as a gift, not to mention this was one of many lovely gifts she gave me.

For those of you who have offered such wonderful, helpful suggestions - I thank you so very much. It has been a tremendous help, and I am just googling away looking at all options. This is a wonderful group of quilters!
You really need to read your original post. It states clearly the fabric was for you and your stash. Then you said she told you she wanted only the fabric she bought used in HER quilt. Don't get upset that anyone read your post as you wrote it.

Not that it makes any difference, if the quilt is for her, then she ought to pick what she wants---------------no other fabrics is what she wants.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Yeah, maybe so... but she did say that she made a big MISTAKE in asking for fabric, she thought the fabric was crappy, and she was limited to just what she was given. In fact she didn't even outright ask for pattern suggestions, she only asked "What do I do now?" To top it off, she ended the post with "GRRRRR". So how would anyone construe that she was happy about the situation? I think it was a lot of mixed messages between the original post and what she said in later comments.
Exactly, SewBiz. The original post was quite negative,