Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't know what I don't know >

I don't know what I don't know

I don't know what I don't know

Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 AM

I have three sewing machines and they aren't a bit cranky about thread. Reading posts from people about how you have to have a certain kind of thread because your machine, your needle, etc., won't do the job has made me very hesitant to think about a new machine. I recently found several spools of thread that are almost certainly forty or more years old, threaded my Janome and used every inch of that thread without a hitch. Most of it was Coats and Clark and two or three spools were American Crafter that was on sale somewhere during the Medieval period. I can't handle termperamental people. I certainly couldn't handle a temperamental machine! froggyintexas
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 AM

I had the same thing happen on my embroidery machine,wrong needle for the thread I was using.. I changes needles
had just bought a new package, away we went no broken threads.. NW OR.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Oh Jeanne! You just proved that nobody knows everything and that quilting is often an ongoing quest to learn new things! I'm so glad that your now able to use your baby and that you are once again reunited! To practice the FMQ, just make up some orphan block sandwiches and have a go at it! I will only FMQ on very small projects on my Janome such as table runners, hot pads or a QAYG. I have tried it on larger throw sizes and I just do not enjoy the struggle that I have to go through to do it. The shoulder, neck and back aches just isn't worth it to me. I am in awe of the quilters who do FMQ a full size or larger quilt on the DSM. I bow to them!
You are so right Auntpiggylpn .. we all are learning every day something new in quilting, crafting, sewing... Like the old saying: do what you want to do .. and do learn all you can (well that is a saying in our family! passed down through generations!!)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:32 AM

jcrow - thanks for sharing your story. I often wondered why there were different size needles for machines - I thought it was just for what you wanted to do - piecing, quilting, applique - now something else to help take up space in my brain - sigh. Guess I should also check out Superior Threads website. Now, is there anything special we should know about bobbins--just checking!!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:28 AM

THanks for posting this. I didn't know that either and I've been sewing for 50 years! I learned something today.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Superior Thread Company says to use a topstitch needle for most all quilting. piecing, etc. It has a much longer eye than the Universal type of needle. For sure, use this for metallic thread as well.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM

thanks for the info. guess i have been lucky my sewing machines sew with whatever i give them cause i have never paid attention to things like that.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

I think some of the manuals/instruction books that come with the sewing machines have charts for what needle and thread to use with what fabrics.

I also find the numbering systems very confusing. I think there is some logic to them - but I don't know/remember what it is.

Examples: Sewing machine needles - the larger/higher the number, the bigger/thicker/stronger the needle
Hand sewing needles - the larger/higher the number, the thinner the shank of the needle.

I personally try to avoid using the heavier needles (anything over a 90/14) on anything except denim and/or canvas. I think they leave punch marks - but one has to do what works!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
here is some good information from Superior Threads
https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...ad-is-measured
I just received my "free" DVD from Superior Threads called Thread Therapy with Dr. Bob

Check their website and see if you can still get it. $3.95 shipping charge.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:26 PM

Wow; I did not know that; but its nice to know; as long as I remember it. I just pickup and use what ever shows up the right color. My DH has taught me more than anyone-He took sewing in high school; He found where the girls were but I ended up with him. YEA. I learn so much here on the Quilting Board. Thanks friends.