Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Don't Know Where to Start! >

I Don't Know Where to Start!

I Don't Know Where to Start!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 AM

Default I Don't Know Where to Start!

Hello Quilting People,

I am at a complete loss and I need your guidance and advice to make a good decision. First a little back story.

I love quilting. My MIL is the one that got me started. She bought Pfaff 1222E for $15 bucks from a customer (she works for the postal service) brought it over and said "Happy Birthday! You're coming to quilting class with me n the fall." My Mom sews but because I have a disability I had never tried it before. I just assumed I couldn't because of the foot pedal operation; but I learned to sew one handed, using one hand to guide the fabric and one hand to operate the pedal. I have been sewing now for about five years and have pieced over 35 quilts, using my one handed method.

Now, I would like to be able to quilt small to medium sized projects myself, but I am unable to do this one handed. I would like to buy a machine has that push button option. Problem is I have no idea where to start. My Pfaff is pretty basic so I don't need anything supper fancy. I just want to be able to quilt small throws and baby quilts. I will have to save in order to buy one and am hoping to find something at or under $1,500.

Is that possible? Does anyone have any suggestions on machines I should try out? What features I should look for? measurements? I'm totally clueless here.

Anybody with a similar limitation have a suggestion?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:01 AM

A lot of Brother and I think Babylock, as well, have a start/stop button besides the foot petal. Check a local dealer if you have on, and see what they have.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Hope you find what you are looking for.

My utmost respect for learning to do all that one-handed!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

I would talk to a local dealer and see what they have to say or speak with some one in a guild. They may have ideas. Good luck and God Bless!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I don't know your disability but what about a knee foot pedal? My old Singer cabinet has a place for the foot pedal knee high, just press with the side of the knee.

Won't be long before a sewing machine will be voice activated.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't know your disability but what about a knee foot pedal? My old Singer cabinet has a place for the foot pedal knee high, just press with the side of the knee.

Won't be long before a sewing machine will be voice activated.
Unfortunately, I have even less control of my knee than my foot. My FIL thought the same thing and tried to rig my current machine... No dice. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:40 AM

My Janome 6600P has the start/stop button as does the Babylock Espire. I love both machines and I think you could pick one up within your budget, as they aren't the newest model. The Espire has an auto foot lift for appliques, which is why I purchased it, but I'm sure there are more machines out there. These are just the 2 I can vouch for. Good luck and your story is inspiring ;-)
~ Pat
Old 07-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Also take a look at the Vikings. I believe that some of the lower end computerized versions have a start/stop button.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 PM

Since you don't want all the bells and whistles you probably will be able to find a used one that someone has traded in for a fancier model. The start/stop button has been around long enough that there should be some trade ins. Talk to local sewing machine dealers to see if they have one or for them to be on the lookout for one for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:08 PM

I have a Brother with a start/stop button.