Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I dropped my quilts off at the count fair >

I dropped my quilts off at the count fair

I dropped my quilts off at the count fair

Old 07-24-2017, 12:56 PM

This is an interesting thread just to see how differently each fair works. I entered some items this year and last year. If you enter 3 items, you get 1 pass into the fair. It doesn't cost anything to enter items but there aren't any cash prizes either - at least I don't think there are. This year I won division grand champion for my house wall hangings and a grand champion on my table topper. The most exciting part about it all was to see how tickled my grown sons were. They have never taken much interest in my sewing. Good luck to everyone.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:06 PM

At ours, part of the things they open and taste and part of them they just look at. Weird.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz View Post
This is an interesting thread just to see how differently each fair works. I entered some items this year and last year. If you enter 3 items, you get 1 pass into the fair. It doesn't cost anything to enter items but there aren't any cash prizes either - at least I don't think there are. This year I won division grand champion for my house wall hangings and a grand champion on my table topper. The most exciting part about it all was to see how tickled my grown sons were. They have never taken much interest in my sewing. Good luck to everyone.
At our fair, it costs $25 to enter which gets you into the fair every day for "free." Each category/class you enter is an additional $.10.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:42 PM

Oh yeah! I have a stack of things to drop off next week, quilts, afghans, and a couple other things. It's fun to see how my stuff measures up to the other entries.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:19 PM

Didn't enter any my quilts but took three vintage sewing machines in today to be displayed in the "Fiber Arts" building. At this point in my quilting career, I think I would choose their building rather than the "judged" quilts in another section of the fairgrounds. I don't believe I'm to a point yet that I'd get a very good critique or ribbon from the very good judges they use. One exciting thing was I was asked if any of my machines were for sale! I said I would think about it!
Old 07-24-2017, 07:52 PM

This is the first time I have entered anything at our local fair and I wasn't thinking and used the wrong type of lid on my jam, which came unsealed so it was disqualified. That was OK though. My DS entered several veggies, and some honey...he won 2 reds and 2 blues. My DD entered a baby outfit she had made and she won a blue ribbon and grand champion. We were happy for both children. This fair does not give free passes for entering items, but there a small monetary prize for the ribbons ( $3 blue, $2 red $1 white, and grand champion gets some too that I can't remember). I would like to enter more stuff next year.

Hope all that enter have good success.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:33 PM

I go tomorrow evening to enter 2 quilts and then Wed I'm volunteered to help hang after judging. Then on Friday afternoon, my guild hosts a kids corner to help kids do a 'make & take' placemat. busy week!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:39 PM

We have open judging at our fair and I've sat and watched it a few times. I learn so much! For preserves, there are lots of criteria they judge on and one is taste so the product is opened and then must be discarded after the fair closes. If you can't make the open judging you do get the judging sheets and that gives you a breakdown of how your entry was scored. I've always done well in the pantry division of our fair. I've never entered the hobby division which is where quilts are exhibited.

You get to enter 10 items for a flat $5 fee and even though I've brought it up to the superintendent of the fair, you don't get a free pass. There are small cash prizes for ribbons.

I have to say security is pretty good in the Creative Arts building. They have "floor walkers" that monitor all the goods. You are not allowed to touch anything. Even your own item. I got busted touching my own jar of jam! If you want to examine a quilt or something more closely, the monitor will help you.

I wish more people would enter something. I've gotten my DS to enter since they added a lego category. Now they have a Modern Maker category that includes machine embroidery, laser cutting, and 3D printing. Some quilts were entered in that category because of the embroidery. Cool stuff!
Old 07-25-2017, 02:16 AM

Wow 5 entries...I wish you the best and we'll be on pins and needles with you waiting to hear how you did.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:57 AM

My 19 items are currently sitting at the fair, all horticulture. Day lilies first place, tallest sunflower 2nd place, marigolds second place and zucchini 3rd place, dahlias 3rd place. I think all the others received a "Thank you for Participating". Its been a real weird year, almost no winter, bugs galore, weeds...a plethora. Our quilts are kept behind a glass enclosure, but I didn't have one done.

I'm glad to hear that others enter things. It keeps the fairs going strong.

Marcia