Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I dropped my quilts off at the count fair >

I dropped my quilts off at the count fair

I dropped my quilts off at the count fair

Old 07-25-2017, 03:56 AM

I called our county fair people a few years ago looking for information about putting my quilts in the fair. No one knew anything about it, it was very disappointing to call around and get no information. Maybe some day I will find out more.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:45 AM

have fun at your fair. This is the first year in quite some time I will not be entering any of my quilts or quilted projects. They don't take the best of care with them, hanging them on nails or with staples! Last year one of my entries was damaged when I got it back-I hadn't even used it yet! I supplied hangers with my entries, which they didn't use and LOST.........enough and time for a break for me. I will enter again someday maybe-it isn't a high priority for me anymore.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:42 AM

Our fair hangs the entered quilts from bars suspended from the rafters of the building, which has very high ceilings (looks like a small aircraft hangar). They're pretty well visible (though you can't get a real close-up look), and far out of reach so touching is not an issue, and they require a proper hanging sleeve be attached before you submit the quilt so no issues with bad hanging techniques. Salemrabbits - nails??? Really?? That's horrible! Someone needs to educate those people. I don't think I'd enter a quilt there either, how awful to get it back damaged.

The judging of quilts seems to be pretty "gentle" at my fair. I didn't get an official write-up or score sheet, but they did jot down some very nice comments onto the back of the paper tag they'd pinned to it. I was worried that my machine binding would knock my score down but it wasn't mentioned.

The official monetary prizes from the fair are really tiny; I think it's $15, $10 & $5 for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd, and just a ribbon for 4th. (That's what I won). But the free pass is great, everybody gets that. And there are several categories based on size and type of quilt, so there are a lot of winners.

All this talk is getting me excited to go! Ours starts in just over a week. I love seeing all the quilts and art, and I always have to go buy an apple pie to take home. Somehow apple pies from the fair taste better than apple pies from anywhere else! I am pretty good about not eating a bunch of unhealthy fair food, but if they have fried pickles it's all over! I can't pass those up!
Old 07-25-2017, 06:13 AM

My blanket statement: You'll never see one of my quilts at the fair. LOL! In all reality I will never be that good and that's okay...
The Iowa State fair has a Quilting activity (during the entire length of the fair) where sewists can donate time and skills to produce goodwill quilts. All fabric, notions, batting and machines are as well donated. I have joined in this function and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plan to do it again this year.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
My blanket statement: You'll never see one of my quilts at the fair. LOL! In all reality I will never be that good and that's okay...
The Iowa State fair has a Quilting activity (during the entire length of the fair) where sewists can donate time and skills to produce goodwill quilts. All fabric, notions, batting and machines are as well donated. I have joined in this function and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plan to do it again this year.
I love the Iowa State Fair! I grew up going every year and it was always a highlight of the summer. I was back three years ago to attend and the quilts on display were AMAZING and there were GOBS of them! By contrast, the Wisconsin State Fair is so small and not nearly as fun as the "best state fair in the land!"
Old 07-25-2017, 12:45 PM

Not on my bucket list. Good luck and hope you do really well at your fair.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:43 AM

I am, and thanks be to God, have done fairly well. Our country fair this year starts Aug. 24th. I'm working on quilting an appliqued wall hanging to enter this year and having problems. Can't seem to get the right thread and needle combo to go through all the layers and look good too. Wish me luck! I'm feeling time getting away from me! HOPE YOU do Well this year!