• Main
  • I hate movers! >
  • I hate movers!

• I hate movers!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 AM

That's awful. Big dummy's.
    Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 AM

My second last move cost me a great sewing machine but also
    huge roast pan. A wooden cabbage cutter that was over a hundred yrs in the family that I used all the time --missed it the most because couldn't replace with the 3 blades.

Would you consider telling us the name of your moms China in case we see some or have a few pieces.
    You have my sympathy so hope we all can help.
    Old 05-16-2011, 06:18 AM
    Cyn

We just retired from 26 years in the Marine Corps. Lots of moves- some good, some bad but don't let people get away with the bad stuff because they will continue to do it to someone else and we always praised good movers (and kept their name for future use!)
    Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 AM

Be sure to report the moving company to the Better Business and there are other lists now that might have movers on it to report them to Angie's List is all that comes to me right now. Money they give you is not enough to help get over the mess they created, but reporting them might help the next customer. Take care.
    Linda
    Old 05-16-2011, 06:36 AM
    Power Poster

I'm glad we never could afford to hire movers. We packed and moved our own and the stuff all survived. When I was a child tho, my Dad's company paid for our family to be moved to another state, and the movers not only manhandled everything, they STOLE. I had a Hummel Ba-Bee Ring (a bust of a baby encircled in a ring with a bee perched on it, that hangs on the wall...)a signed Hummel that had been bought when I was born, and one of the movers was smart enough to know it was valuable. It was never found once we unpacked. I wonder what else they got. My folks had so much stuff they would probably never miss half of it. I don't trust strangers to come into my home and do ANYTHING, including clean...
    Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 AM

We had a bad experience not too long ago where they "lost" several boxes. We were never reimbursed because they said WE failed to make sure that THEY had properly marked every box, even though it was all on them, as I didn't pack anything. Good luck getting reimbursement. Maybe tell them that you will contact the investigative reporters on a local TV news show. That ought to scare them.
    Old 05-16-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I'm so sorry to hear this! Be sure to write down all that's broken so you get reimbursed.
    The first time we were moved by movers they broke everything breakable, I swear! I got reimbursed but some items were wedding gifts that I felt really bad about :(
    And get pictures!
    Old 05-16-2011, 07:56 AM
    cjk

I'm not going to back down. I'm filing a claim as soon as I know what all is damaged. I talked to several people and they say we have 6 to 9 months to file a claim. I'm also going to report to the BBB and any other place I can think of. Funny, I checked the BBB before I hired this company and they didn't have any negative reports. But the thing is and the way they get by with it is that one company will book the move and then another company is actually the movers. ggggggrrrrrr I didn't know that until the movers showed up at the door. I intend to report BOTH the booking company and the moving company!
    Old 05-16-2011, 08:03 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I'm so sorry to hear this! Be sure to write down all that's broken so you get reimbursed.
    The first time we were moved by movers they broke everything breakable, I swear! I got reimbursed but some items were wedding gifts that I felt really bad about :(
    they will not pay for the busted totes..those are not considered PROPER packing boxes and you just bite it and buy new ones...I know...30+ years of military moves....the last one was OURS to pay for, from Bush Ak OK..what a joy..NOT...we had to pack our own container in BEthel, it went on a barge to seattle...then unloaded, packed on a truck and brought to OK...when it arrived we were then told that a forklift had gone through the side of the container in BEthel, that container then sailed to Seattle...you should have seen the wet moldy boxes, furniture, etc....$30K in damages and we got only $15K back!
    Old 05-16-2011, 08:10 AM

Most of the time, the china replacement pieces are much cheaper on ebay. I working on finishing my set I started in 1965. For instance, I usually pay about $10 for what Replacements sells for $30.