Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate movers! >

I hate movers!

I hate movers!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:12 AM

And THAT is the reason that i have done all our moves ourselves!! Pain to pack and move but happier at the end when it settled into new place with no damages but maybe a scrape on the heavy footboard of the bed.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 AM

I can feel for you. We moved one time and they wrecked our water bed. I saw them drag it on the ground and it turned out they actually ripped a whole in it. We had to use duct tape to fix it and they were just dropping the boxes in the apt when they brought them in.

We tried to get them to pay for damages, but they said it wasn't their fault. We didn't get any satisfaction.

When my MIL moved, the movers she used stole some furniture (antique) and broke other pieces. She didn't get any satisfaction either.

It's too bad there deosn't seem to be any way to hold them to anything. However, someone earlier suggested pictures. Maybe take pictures of everything before moving, then there is proof if anything's damaged. Just like car dealer service depts are now logging in any damage on your car before they drive it in for servicing.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
TAKE PICTURES!!!!! Include a newspaper in the photo and keep the newspaper for proof of the date. Dates on the camera can be altered but that is proof positive for anyone.
This is the right way to prove your lose and damages
Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by cjk
I'm not going to back down. I'm filing a claim as soon as I know what all is damaged. I talked to several people and they say we have 6 to 9 months to file a claim. I'm also going to report to the BBB and any other place I can think of. Funny, I checked the BBB before I hired this company and they didn't have any negative reports. But the thing is and the way they get by with it is that one company will book the move and then another company is actually the movers. ggggggrrrrrr I didn't know that until the movers showed up at the door. I intend to report BOTH the booking company and the moving company!
Funny thing about the BBB, I watched a news program awhile back, can't remember which, one of the 20/20 type shows where they were talking about the BBB rating. Apparently for a while it was normal for some bussinesses to purchase a better rating with them. If this is a national company that moved you prehaps they were one of the companys. I would still file a complaint though, because I have personally found that most of their ratings are accurate about a company. I hate it when one company uses a sub-contractor because that give them an out on the responsibility if it is in thier contract. Our local newspaper pulled that one on my boys when they were paperboys. They wanted their money but they were not responsible for helping the kids collect it when someone wouldn't pay, leaving us liable to the newspaper for the money and we couldn't even refuse to deliver the paper. You would think that these companys wouldn't want their names connected to the bad reviews.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:02 AM

I just saw this article about :"things movers won't tell you" on Yahoo:http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...ou-mainstreet. Funny timing.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I would definitely call the moving company and complain. Take pictures of all the damage/dirt. Maybe you can get someone higher up in the moving company out to see what happened in person. This happening was just wrong, maybe they can replace things. I thought movers were insured for this. If not at least maybe it will keep it from happening to someone else.
Bingo - make a lot of noise and keep making it until you get compensated. These companies COUNT ON YOUR BEING ERODED BY THEIR INDIFFERENCE AND (money-saving) STALL TACTICS.

If you run a quilting or sewing business, check with an accountant for a damage write off, and have photo and damage list/costs documented and ready.

If you do not run a business, your moving expenses are a tax write-off (I am pretty sure) - perhaps there is an additional write-off or two for the damage.

Also, check with your home owner's insurance carrier - maybe there's something in there as well...

Good luck and remember: the moving company is counting on you to fade away (PO'd, but still faded away) from the efforts to recover what your entitled to
Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 AM

Oh no! I had the greatest movers when I moved from NJ. Not one thing broken.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 AM

there is a website called replacements.com where you can find most any china pattern ever made. I have a very old pattern from well over 100 years ago and they have replacement pieces for it, too. Don't despair - stick to your guns and stay angry. No one wants to deal with a woman scorned!!
Originally Posted by cjk
yeah they broke some of my mothers china that I can't replace.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 AM

Calling the BBB doesn't do a lot of good. I had it explained to me that if you report someone to them they send out a report to the offender. All they have to do is reply and they don't get a bad mark. Found that out when we were buying a new car..there was a big bulge on the tire. The day we went to pick it up my husband checked the tire that they said was replaced...it was just traded with the other back tire ... now the bulge was on the inside..their response when he caught them was "we sell cars...not tires"! We reported them and got the "nothing" answer. Needless to say we did not purchase that car!

Go to ebay for your china..it is cheaper than Replacements but copy the Replacements prices for the awful movers! I think you will have to give them estimates of damages.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:59 AM

My movers brought an antique chandelier all bent up. Not even packed in a box after they promised they would pack it well for me. The guys delivering said that they found it like that on the loading dock. That move cost me over $8K. I was so upset. We had moved into a brand new house and I was so mad about the chandelier that I didn't notice that my electrolux carpet cleaner didn't make it to its desitnation until about a year later! Try and make a claim! Its virtually impossible.