Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate it when...

I love starting posts like this on my different boards that I am a part of.

The point of this thread is to tell us about something that just ticks you off or irritates you when you are quilting.

An example will be this, it will also count as my first...

I hate it when...the ruler moves when I'm cutting my fabric for my blocks.

Now it's your turn!

I hate it when I find a great deal on fabric I love and buy it with nothing particular in mind. Then, when I go to use it there is not quite enough. And OF COURSE .. they sold it all out.

I hate it when I have pinned and turned and repinned and looked and even used a magnifying glass to make sure my points are right and then sew it up,turn it over and see it is a least 3 or 4 threads off. Makes me crazy.
    BillsBonBon

Banned
    ... I have only a few more inches to sew and run out of bobbin thread. (or quilting thread..whatever thread lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonomine
    ... I have only a few more inches to sew and run out of bobbin thread. (or quilting thread..whatever thread lol)
    And that happened to me about an hour ago!!!! On the top thread :lol: :oops:

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The directions don't make sense and I can't complete what I'm working on.

...when I'm sewing along and realize I ran out of bobbin thread 48' ago (after I've pulled out all the pins - because you're not *supposed* to sew over pins). Sew you pull out the quilt. Repin. Wind the bobbin, and pick up where you left off.

I have an indicator that tells me... but if you don't pay attention... It should be a really bright neon light... :-) :-)

I don't follow directions because they don't make sense, and of course, I have to redo the block because I was wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    I love starting posts like this on my different boards that I am a part of.

The point of this thread is to tell us about something that just ticks you off or irritates you when you are quilting.

An example will be this, it will also count as my first...

I hate it when...the ruler moves when I'm cutting my fabric for my blocks.

Now it's your turn!
    I hate ruler moves!

I hate it when the ruler moves.

Banned
    grrrr stupid ruler :evil:

Blog Entries
    .... I misread the ruler and I cut an entire line 1/4" too narrow. Of course, it is the last piece of material and now I don't have enough to finish the quilt (as originally planned).

1. When the quilt pattern only has you buy JUST enough fabric to complete the quilt. Don't they realize I need a margin of error? i.e. Jelly Roll quilts...

2. When no matter how hard I try, I can't get a perfect quarter inch on my piecing. Good thing I like quilts with "charm". :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    .... I misread the ruler and I cut an entire line 1/4" too narrow. Of course, it is the last piece of material and now I don't have enough to finish the quilt (as originally planned).
    Great avatar!

Instead of just setting the iron down for a quick press, I forget and move it around and the blocks :cry: are now out of shape

I am 'ticked' when the phone rings!! Seems as soon as I am in the middle of anything w/thread involved, the phone rings....and, I 'can't' not answer it due to worry of where kids are, parents needing me, etc....arggh!It does tick me....espec. if it is someone on the other end saying 'what are you doing'?! Skeat

Blog Entries
    Cats "help" with fabric cutting

I'm in the "zone" and I hear..."Honey....can you come here for a sec????"

Blog Entries
    ....the sewing table gets so cluttered that I have to stop and clean up. (I hate cleaning up - childhood trauma :D )

When I have something big to pin together and it is too big for my table in the sewing room I lay it on my bed to pin…That’s fine until I start to take it off and find that I pinned it TO the bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Then Hubby starts laughing at me…”Didn’t you know better than that!!??!!” :roll: :roll: :roll:

When I get to the last square and realize I am just a little short of one fabric. (and I know I bought the last of it to make the quilt. ) Grrrrrrr

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    ....the sewing table gets so cluttered that I have to stop and clean up. (I hate cleaning up - childhood trauma :D )

HAHAHAHA, I second that one!

Sometimes I'm really intensely working on something and my bf comes in and says "how can you work in this pig sty?".... um, I really can't work if you keep interrupting me, I was doing quite fine, thank you!

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkanderson
    When I have something big to pin together and it is too big for my table in the sewing room I lay it on my bed to pin…That’s fine until I start to take it off and find that I pinned it TO the bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Then Hubby starts laughing at me…”Didn’t you know better than that!!??!!” :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lol, I've done that too.

I hate it when I buy a ton of something because I'm sure if I don't they will run out, and the next day it goes on liquidation price.
    I also hate it when I know I shouldn't be spending money on more fabric, and I convince myself to buy a little bit anyway, and only AFTER that do I see something I would have liked even better than what I bought :( I could barely justify buying the first batch... can't really buy more, right?

Yeah, the running-out-of-bobbin thing just before you get to the end sure fries my potatoes! Some day I'm going to get a fancy machine where you can SEE the bobbin and you'll know when it's about to run out! Doesn't anyone make a machine that will make a noise when it's near the end??? ("Danger! Danger! You are about to run out of bobbin!")

CRH
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonomine
    THIS is my pet peeve, also. I have 2 machines, one that warns me and one that doesn't. Guess which one runs out of bobbin thread most often??? :roll: :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Cats "help" with fabric cutting

I'm in the "zone" and I hear..."Honey....can you come here for a sec????"
    Don't I know it!...and it's usually something he could do for himself!
    (Honey ain't here...lol)

Skeat, know what you mean about the phone. I don't get mad at caller, but my heart sinks, cause I was just settling in for a good, 'session', and now if I talk 'a bit', I can only do stuff that doesn't require concentration or precision...how much of quilting is like that? So many times I end up walking out of room to go do some mindless housework while talking, and an hour or more later, it's time to eat, (meds make you eat on time), or time for something else...and there goes a good, like Patti says, "ZONE". ahhhh!
    and I hate it when the ruler slips and cutter slips too! so i go sloooow.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast