Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on??? >

I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on???

I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on???

Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
you can baste your large quilt on a table as small as a card table.
Just layer each section on the center of the table. stretch and baste the section on the table area then gently pull the next unbasted section onto the top of the table. Baste that. continue pulling sided to side, top and bottom.
The hanging over the edge and stretching keeps the layers flat. So you don't really need to lay the quilt out full.
Try it. it works
This really works! I have basted lots of quilts this way on the kitchen table, some as large as a queen. I mark the center of the backing, batting, and top and pin the centers together. Straighten all three layers, and you're good to go. If you baste from the center outward in all directions, everything stays nice and straight. A few Acco clips along the edges will add some weight, if you like, but that's not necessary.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by jeank View Post
I would not use duct tape, it leaves a sticky residue.

What about checking with your local library, church, township hall, or senior center about using their banquet tables for a couple of hours? Most will let you. Put a couple together to make it large enough. I like this because you are not down on the floor.
In addition to these locations, check out your local County Extension Office, you may even get assisance with the sandwiching.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:40 AM

Using the floor is back breaking! Go to your church, library, community center, or somewhere long tables are available. I usually put two together and "jack" them up with bed lifters (available at Wallmark inexpensively) to make the tables at a heighth that is "easssy" on the back!!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:03 AM

not sure where you live but I know around here there are some quilt shops that will let you use their tables and also some churches and it would be easier on your back using tables instead of floors
Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 AM

I use a table, I clip the backing to the table doing the center first then the edges. this seems to work for me. I just finished a queen size quilt for a grandson.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:44 AM

Going somewhere else where you can use big tables would be my first choice - but I have and still do sandwich quilts on my bedroom carpet. Lay your backing fabric down, wrong side up, and pin it to the carpet around the edges. Layer your batting over it and smooth out. Then lay your top down, right side up, and smooth it out. Now, using your cutting mat, slide it under the sandwich, between the backing fabric and the carpet (you may have to remove some of the pins) .Now you can pin the sandwich together, using the cutting mat as a solid surface against which you can pin. Still a lot of crawling around on your knees, but it works!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:09 AM

i use blue painter tape, it works great on carpets, you may have use a bit more than you would on a floor. for larger quilts I use my dining room table, I bast half or 1/4 of the quilt and then the next, I had had no problems with wrinkles on the backing. As they say, if there is a will there is a way!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 AM

I used to use T pins on my carpeted living room floor and they did no damage. I now have laminate floors but haven't tried to baste a quilt on it yet.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Right now I have evolved to using Elmer's glue in sections on my protected dining room table. I have pin basted on the floor or on big tables when I have access to them. I have also thread basted on the floor or big tables. I tried spray basting but couldn't deal with the overspray and fumes. through all of this from my first quilting class we used Duct tape. For me it has never left any sticky residue on my quilts or on the surfaces. I also have a roll of masking tape one quilting teacher required. No problems there. Also have used blue painters tape. No problems with that either. Just putting in my 2 Cents worth!!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 AM

Get acquainted with local quilt store, usually they have an area where one can sew and work on projects. You need to take your machine.