Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on??? >

I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on???

I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on???

Old 09-30-2012, 08:55 AM

Default Wall Method or Schamber Method

Originally Posted by Shana View Post
I would use masking tape and baste it hanging on a wall! Or call the local library, mine is use to quilters coming and using their conference room when it isn't booked for something else.
If you use the "wall" method, use the blue (painter's) tape instead of regular masking tape. Painter's tape is totally removable within 7 days.

Also, I too have used the Schamber method and love it. Just requires purchase and storage of those long boards.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM

Have you considered using Nancy Zieman's method of using small pieces of fusible tape to baste your quilt together? Check out Sewing with Nancy on You Tube, there might be a video on her method of basting a quilt.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:17 AM

use painters tape it is ok to use on carpet I use it & there is no sticky tape on quilt or carpet Happy quilting
Old 09-30-2012, 09:17 AM

Duct tape definetly stretches your fabric and can leave a nasty sticky residue.But I had the same problem So what I ended up doing is using safety pins --run the end of pin horizontally into carpet. Now I have a quilt frame I attached to the wall.All it is basically is 1/2 in.thick x 1 in. wide boards that have 1inch long nails protruding out 3/4 inch apart.These nails are barely thicker than strait pins.Each hole would have to be drilled first then push the nail through.The side rails are adjustable for width and the bottom rail is also adjustable for length. I put a 1 inch thick block for spacer at center and both ends on top and bottom rails.----So how handy is your DH
Old 09-30-2012, 09:37 AM

I recently saw a video from someone showing how she layered her quilt on a wall. Try googling it. I have had great luck using Harriet Hargraves instructions for laying a large quilt on a table. Actually, her book is fantastic for it's instructions.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:38 AM

You might ask a church if you can use the tables they usually have them set up in the basement.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:27 AM

I saw duct tape and carpet. DO NOT do that. There will be a residue left that will not come up. That happened at our church during vacation Bible School.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 AM

Have you thought of renting space at your local quilt shop to baste the layers together? I know people who even rent the long arm frame long enough to pin baste the sandwich together. Give your LQS a call.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Pinkiris ~~ Mahalo for the link.

I just took a one day class on making a French Braid Runner. I used flower pins to put the sandwich together (because I accidently left the safety pins at home), then got busy and haven't gotten to the quilting yet.

This is a good small project to try out the Elmer's Washable School Glue basting technique on. The flower pins will be easy to remove and replace with Elmer's.

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
House Dragon--I think if you read this thread, http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t198969.html, you'll get a good idea about glue basting. I found it very informative.

Last edited by HouseDragon; 09-30-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:49 AM

Do you have a LQS with large tables you could use to baste your quilts? Or, could you have a LAer baste them for you?