Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on??? >

I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on???

I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on???

Old 09-30-2012, 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=ckcowl;5548771]generally- people use pins when doing it on a floor-
Yes, T-pins are what I use. Very sturdy.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 PM

i hate getting down on the floor to baste a quilt too. The arthritis makes it so hard to get up and down. I have taken quilts to the church and pin basted them there but when not available or time pressed I have done it at home without getting down on the floor. Since I pin baste my quilts, i just strip my bed down to mattress, spread my backing evenly across and start layering with batting and top. I pin in center and work outward on one side, then walk around and do other side. I sometimes get it pinned to mattress but it is easily corrected.. Everything stays in place and doesnt shift so quickly get it done. Remake the bed when you are finished-heck,you have to do laundry anyway so strip the bed on laundry day and pin baste. Nothing like multitasking!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:20 PM

I use T-pins and pin the backing to the carpet (I joke around to the family that I'm staking the quilt) then put the batting on and then the top on and pin it really well with quilt in the day curved pins (love them
Old 09-30-2012, 01:10 PM

Try asking at your library about using their big meeting room tables during a time when they are not being used. Much easier on your back too.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:14 PM

You can use masking tape on carpet. You may need a little longer strip for extra hold, but I have done it successfully with no problems.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:12 PM

check with a local church, civic center, office boardroom, state agricultural extension center etc... and see if they have a room with banquet tables that you can use...not only will you be able to spread out but you dont have oget on the floor to do the work..also, you might even have some volunteers ready and willing to help you. another place to try is a local fabric quilt shop-they usually have the space available too!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 PM

Do you have access to a church, community hall or a friend with a larger home that you could use to get it basted? Our home is big enough to do what I need to do. However, our church has a Life Center which lets quilters come in and use the large tables to do big projects like that. Most any church would have a room for church gatherings, ect,I am sure.
Mariah
Old 09-30-2012, 07:55 PM

Many new libraries have places to do this at. Some churches have areas that they will let you put the tables together to do this also. Ask around in your area.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM

I would suggest the widest painter's tape you can find. It sticks when it needs to and removes easily.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:04 PM

I agree with Holice. This is the way I have always done it except for my first which I taped to the tiles. These days my knees couldn't stand it. Even at LQS we did it on a Horn style cutting table. If I am lucky and have one ready to pin when I go to my daughters she has an island bench that is 9' x 4" - marvellous. She lives about 90 minutes away by car so it's not just a case of popping over there.