Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on??? >

I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on???

I have a huge weird quilting question that Im completely lost on???

Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by sligman View Post
I have recently moved from this huge military house where I had tons of rooms to spread out my quilts on the floor to bast them and tape down the backing and all that goes along with it now were retired and live in a really tiny apartment and have no room in any hardwood floor room and the biggest room i have is the living room and its carpet and thats if i move somethings out of the way ill have maybe enough room to do a full size quilt so is it ok or am I crazy to use duct tape to tape down the backing of my quilt cause i know we normally use making tape for this but i honestly dont think it will stick and i have 4 quilts im working on right now not including my stuff and the small projects i got goin on also. SO do yall think that will work or will it mess up the carpets or any suggestions for doin it ive spent all this money in these quilts and time with a bad back i dont want to not get to finish them. and my family is lookin forward to them badly. PLEASE HELP thanks
If your in an apartment, do they have a club house? I'm able to go down and make my quilt sandwich in our club house. I've also gone over to the senior center and used a meeting room to make my quilt sandwiches. I use basting spray when I have to transport my quilt sandwiches. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 AM

I would be worried about basting to the carpet. They make a tubular quilt frame that you could take apart easily when not using. Maybe you could baste on those. I know Joannes' sells one.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 AM

If you have a church that you attend close by that would be a great place to see if you could baste a quilt there. I know my church has let us use there kitchen and dining area where we have tied off quilts. Even had a few extra hands that were more than welling to help so they could just learn how to do it. It can be fun.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 AM

Go to utube and watch Sharon Schambers method of basting a quilt. It is quick, easy and fool proof. You don't need to get on the floor or have a huge table. It is quick and no wrinkles. I did not like sandwiching my quilt until I watched Sharon. I never could get it right. So now that I use her method it is a snap.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sligman View Post
I have recently moved from this huge military house where I had tons of rooms to spread out my quilts on the floor to bast them and tape down the backing and all that goes along with it now were retired and live in a really tiny apartment and have no room in any hardwood floor room and the biggest room i have is the living room and its carpet and thats if i move somethings out of the way ill have maybe enough room to do a full size quilt so is it ok or am I crazy to use duct tape to tape down the backing of my quilt cause i know we normally use making tape for this but i honestly dont think it will stick and i have 4 quilts im working on right now not including my stuff and the small projects i got goin on also. SO do yall think that will work or will it mess up the carpets or any suggestions for doin it ive spent all this money in these quilts and time with a bad back i dont want to not get to finish them. and my family is lookin forward to them badly. PLEASE HELP thanks
I use large quilt pins, but I do not close them while it it still on the floor!

Thank you and your whole family for your many years of service! It is not only that man or woman actually in uniform that serves but those holding the homefront together! Thanks Marie
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM

I have no idea on the duct tape thing, but is there a church nearby that would let you go there and use their tables to lay out the quilt and 'do your thing' I am not sure where you live, but if there is a small school near you maybe they would let you use the cafeteria tables some afternoon after lunch has been served. Just some possibilities. I am sure others will come up with some good ideas for you as well, and I will be anxious to hear about the duct tape also. Would painters tape work?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM

Wow, what a wealth of ideas! I think I've just lucked out. My dining room table is 72" x 48", so I could easily sandwich almost any size quilt on that. Although it's not really high enough, it sure beats trying to get down on the floor. I tried getting down on one knee to get something at the grocery, and I couldn't get up. That was one of the most embarrassing, scary things I have done. Two lades came along and helped me up and I was eternally grateful to them. No floors for me. I'll use my table!

Thanks for all the input.

Jeanette Frantz
Old 10-01-2012, 01:19 PM

My back is to shot to baste on the floor. I have used the method in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A...eature=related (about 5:45 into the video ) . Once you try it you will never sit on the floor or bend over tables again.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=sligman;5548755]I have recently moved from this huge military house where I had tons of rooms to spread out my quilts on the floor to bast them and tape down the backing and all that goes along with it now were retired and live in a really tiny apartment and have no room in any hardwood floor room and the biggest room i

I solved this problem a few years ago, my solution was to put extra box springs on my bed, that raised it up so that I would not have so far to bend over to pin my quilts.
You you lay a cutting mat on your bed, then you pin the backing onto your bed at the corners. then the batting then the top. Just reach under the quilt and slide the mat to where you are pinning or basting your quilt, so that you don't pin or baste to your bed, your quilt sandwich stays tight till your finished pinning.
And it's easier to get out of the bed in the morning. And easier to make the bed.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Duct Tape will leave a horrible residue on everything it's stuck to.....DO NOT USE IT!! Perhaps you have a community center where you are able to put a couple of tables together to baste your quilts. I used to use the empty cafeteria of my local elementary school after hours. They were kind enough to let me in for an hour or two when I needed the space. Maybe a friend's house if all else fails.