Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have learned to hate square quilts >

I have learned to hate square quilts

I have learned to hate square quilts

Old 09-28-2014, 04:21 AM

I've only been quilting for two years (my new retirement hobby) and I instinctively stayed away from square quilts. Could not imagine early on where they would fit. I too adjust the pattern if I like the block. I thought I was the only one that had that aversion.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:56 AM

Square quilts don't bother me. If I wanted a rectangular quilt, I would just make more blocks to make it as long and/or wide as I wanted it to be. Quilt patterns for me are just that, a pattern/guide, a starting point -- the final product is made to my requirements.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:11 AM

PP, that's what I've done on occasion. Another option is to add a bedskirt right to the 3 sides of the 'square quilt' to add length without bulk and weight. I've done that and it really looks nice.
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
How about making matching pillow cases/shams. The quilt will cover the portion of the bed not under the pillows & the pillows will just match.
I love square quilts!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:23 AM

I design most of my own quilts, and almost never manage to use someone else's pattern without "tweaking" it to make it work for my needs on the occasions when I buy one from someone else. That having been said, it isn't always simple to just "add another row of blocks" to get a rectangular quilt out of one designed to be square, and that can be TOTALLY frustrating! Sometimes adding another row can give you a quilt that's 140" long, by the time you add your sashings and planned borders, etc! Most of us don't want one quite that much longer. LOL! And those people who don't have the "designer gene" don't always know how to scale down the size of the blocks to compensate... well, that conversation could ramble on and on. Sometimes I simply use the main pattern like a medallion for the bed top and plan my complimenary borders and pillow cover to make it look like that was my intention all along. You can get some stunning results that way without giving up on a pattern that refuses to give up its square identity. But it's a lot more work, and the short answer is no, I don't really like square quilt patterns. And pillow shams won't add to the quilt at the foot of the bed, so that's not a real good solution to a quilt that's too short for a rectangular bed, unless it's an all-over block pattern!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Tartan has the right idea if you have a square pattern you love.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:57 AM

I don't make the queen size for queen beds; I make a king size for the queen beds and they come out just the right size
Old 09-28-2014, 05:59 AM

I am working on a quilt and figured: 60 x 80 queen mattress with square 11.5" blocks (12.5" unfinished with half inch seam allowance as doing no-sash qayg). No borders. 8 squares X 8 squares is 92x92.

92-60 is 32 is 16 inches overhang each side

92-80 is 16 inches overhang at bottom and six inches for slope up and over pillows (just pulled up flat on top, not tucked under pillow "bedspread" fashion).

This is what I calculated and now reading here, I am second guessing my vision for the quilt! I had originally planned for 8 blocks by 9 blocks but thought would not work unless was going to bedspread-style around the pillow with a good chunk folded under pillow and we don't make our beds that way. We are casual bed makers; just quickly pull everything up and call it made. Lol. My problem with most handmade quilts is they do not hang long enough over the sides to cover our backs. We thus end up with them on sideways to do the trick. Sometimes this leaves us short on the tootsies or shoulders. The challenge is placement of center design so it is actually in center of bed. It will not go in center of quilt but in the center of the 60x80 area of quilt.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:00 AM

I always adjust my quilt sizes. I use my quilts flat from top to bottom and like the drape on the sides. Since I don't need the length for top to bottom (I'm not covering pillows) I add my extra blocks to the sides. I go from there on how I adjust my borders and such.
Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
I really, really hate square quilts. They don't fit the bed not matter what size I make them. Adding border to widen or lengthen just ruins the look of some patterns. I made the Tula Pink, Kiss Kiss pattern in a queen size. I was so in love with the pattern. Queen size....NOT. The material was very expensive and the darn thing is way to short and not wide enough.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Whenever I want to do a square design, I set it on point and then add wider borders to the top and bottom.
What a fantastic idea!!!
Old 09-28-2014, 09:44 AM

I just always make more blocks to make it longer and if there is a border adjust for it.