Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have learned to hate square quilts >

I have learned to hate square quilts

I have learned to hate square quilts

Old 09-29-2014, 06:06 AM

MOST of my quilts are square! Mine are usually right around 72x72, somehow that's the size I settled on and all my patterns seem to work out well in that size. I call them "napping quilts" or "oversized throws" and I love them. It's big enough that if we're sitting up to watch a movie it covers both of us. If I'm napping, it's just the right size to wrap up in and be covered from chin to toes. They fold up into squares that fit perfectly on the end of the couch.

I've made very very few bed quilts since I make my quilts as gifts, and without knowing how people make their beds or if they have foot boards, etc. it's tricky to know how big or how small to make the quilt and where to place the focal point. I AM making two bed-quilts this year for Christmas gifts; one is for my grandmother-in-law who is in a hospital bed, so hers will be specifically sized for that; since she's always in the bed I don't need to worry about how it gets made up. The other is for my MIL; she has this adorable antique bed she sleeps in and it's only a double; I was able to sneak some quick measurements against my arms for how much of a drop she was using and see how she makes her bed so I think I will be able make hers the right size or pretty close to it; but hers is going to just be big floral blocks so there's not a big central medallion I need to worry about centering properly on that one.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:40 AM

If you lay out a sheet on your bed and pin it up to the size you think you want your quilt, you can figure out where you want the edges to fall, and then measure. on a 4-poster you might want it wider than long!

A couple tricks I have used are to add an internal border strip at the top and bottom, interior to the outer border,- either plain for pieced in a similar way to look nice with the rest of the quilt, and to vary the sashing widths and outer border widths to make up the difference. On one medallion I made the center part oblong and then just played along with it so it came out oblong in the end.

I don't mind square quilts anyway - less likely I have to worry about which end it up!

Don't be so hard on yourself!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Beds aren't square anyway unless you're talking about the corners. I'm working on a quilt for my son and told him it probably wouldn't come all the way down the sides. I measured my bed (queen size) and both sons have the same size. When they wake up from a nap or sleeping all night they usually have the coverings up around their necks. DGDs same way. I am not making bedspreads just quilts.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:39 AM

I have solved this problem by just not making my bed My husband and I each have our own good size quilts to use as we see fit. I make whatever quilts that appeal to me, but generally only make those big enough to be a good size lap or bigger. I also don't know what to do with small quilts unless they are for babies. I like square shapes just for some of the designs that I find appealing.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I don't like square quilts either but they do fit a King sized mattress fairly well as it is 78"x 80" and that's almost square. Other than King, I don't make square quilts and always add extra pieced borders to lengthen them out.
The next bedspread quilt is for a California King bed and mattress alone measures 72x84; was surprised that your King was even 6" wider (never measured one of those before). Now I'm hoping I measured right!!!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Swap Hosts

I'm with you on that one. And I guess that's why I don't bother with patterns any longer. BUT square is good for those little throw quilts that you love to curl up in on the sofa when DH has the A/C up too high ... or you just need a little nap.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
I really, really hate square quilts. They don't fit the bed not matter what size I make them. Adding border to widen or lengthen just ruins the look of some patterns. I made the Tula Pink, Kiss Kiss pattern in a queen size. I was so in love with the pattern. Queen size....NOT. The material was very expensive and the darn thing is way to short and not wide enough.
Are the patterns you are choosing not fut to add an extra row?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Are the patterns you are choosing not fut to add an extra row?
Good heavens-----------"NOT FIT"
Old 02-21-2015, 09:38 AM

Location: In a lovely lakeside community in the foothills of the Ozark Mtns.

Shelbie--I don't have anything to comment about your entry, but I love your dog. I have one very similar but he has some white in his forehead and neck. They have such sweet natures!