Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have never sewed a quilt I’m >

I have never sewed a quilt I’m

I have never sewed a quilt I’m

Old 01-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Welcome, Doug! May I suggest that you look for a quilting guild near you? If possible, join, and tell the members of the guild that you are a 'newbie' and that you want to make a quilt for your friend. You will likely get lots of help and tips from members of the guild.

I agree with the suggestions that you start with a very simple quilt. The 10" squares idea is good, as it is both basic and classic.

To make it, you can buy pre-cut 'layer cakes', which is just a name for a collection of 10" squares cut from a particular fabric line. Since the layer cake is pre-cut, if you can manage sewing the 1/4" seams fairly well, your quilt is much more likely to come out 'squared'.

Squared means that the vertical length of the quilt is the same on the right edge as it is on the left edge, and that the horizontal edges of the quilt are the same width on the top and the bottom of the quilt. That is extremely important when it is time to actually quilt the quilt.

Sewing mistakes happen. So make sure to get the most important tool a quilter owns - a seam ripper. You won't be sorry.

Good luck on your project, have fun, and be sure to post a picture of the quilt when it is done.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board As you can tell from the posts there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here.

The Double Slice quilt Barb referred you too is a great pattern. I have made many quilts in the pattern. I love it, fairly fast and not too many seams to match.

Good luck with whatever quilt you decide to make.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:18 AM

I agree with this. I have made this numerous times, and it's easy to get a really nice looking quilt.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Hey Doug, you got some great answers here already. If you don't get too complicated you will have a much better experience.
I think it's a wonderful thing to do for your friend! Please keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:48 PM

Yes I got some spectacular answers and information
Old 01-25-2019, 05:04 PM

After doing a little more research very little I might add. I had only considered the top side of the quilt not the actual quilting process. I definitely understand that duck cloth would be a horrible choice. I’m not looking to invent a new quilt design. All I have ever looked at is a bunch of squares sewed together. Not the actual quilting part. I have been sewing simple seams since 1980. But only occasionally. I decided to see what it would take to get my family 1901 up and running last month. I ended up with 5 extra machines. [ATTACH=CONFIG]607377[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-25-2019, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
I sure would not 'design my own quilt' on the first one. some people never get the first quilt done, and it sits for years. your goal is to finish one. period. i'ld do a rotary cut quilt, and i recommend eleanor burns single irish chain as a first.
since I’m kinda new to quilting when you say rotary cut quilt ; are you talking about the pizza cutter thing I have to cut fabric? I have used that thing for so many other tasks it wasn’t designed for. Boat carpet bad idea
Old 01-25-2019, 06:18 PM

Looking at more tutorials etc. this will not in any way be a US Navy themed quilt. My friend has had enough Navy after almost 30 years. Layer cakes yes silly psychedelic patterns yes. I want this to be the throw blanket from hell. Comfortable but loud.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:23 PM

Yes, it's the pizza cutter thing, but you need a new one for quilting. I recommend the Olfa 45 mm one.

Are you anywhere near a bona fide quilt shop? If so, I'd highly recommend taking a beginner quilting class. You'd be so popular as a guy, so good for your ego. LOL Sure you could learn on Youtube, but you can't get quick answers to your questions as you do with a live teacher while making your first quilt. I just think with a deadline of May, you need help. Beginner classes have easy blocks.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Yes, it's the pizza cutter thing, but you need a new one for quilting. I recommend the Olfa 45 mm one.

Are you anywhere near a bona fide quilt shop? If so, I'd highly recommend taking a beginner quilting class. You'd be so popular as a guy, so good for your ego. LOL Sure you could learn on Youtube, but you can't get quick answers to your questions as you do with a live teacher while making your first quilt. I just think with a deadline of May, you need help. Beginner classes have easy blocks.
You are so silly. I don’t need or want any more ego lol. There is a Bernina shop in town that does have classes. Maybe I should call them. I have too many sewing machines to not pull off a quilt in the next two months. Btw EBay had a cheater quilt top what does that mean? I want to cheat on my first quilt but I also really want to produce a nice item that will be well used. Yes a class full of women would be cool. 1988 my home economic class had more guys than girls.