Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a serious problem.

There's nothing wrong with you. It's part of our unique personality to want/need more of the thing that makes us happy. Then we cut it into pieces and sew it back together to create a work of art.

Another thought - if you call all that fabric your "Collection" it immediately falls into a category that includes things like pieces of art work, crystal, antique dishes, silver, gold, etc. and absolutely no one expects you to do anything with your collection but enjoy it. Of course, now that you have it all laid out you might want to consider offering tours (at a minimal price of course) so others could enjoy your collection as well. You know, just a thought..:)

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear someone else has 15 totes full of fabric. Guess I'm not alone after all!

Blog Entries
    I think it's called a "Fabricholic". My baby sister even got me a bumper sticker that says it. She knows me only too well... :-)
    Conni

I, too agree, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM, GIRL????

Well, I had the same problem when I had to move my studio, bags and bags of fabric - heavy fabric. I decided at that point I needed to scale down. Like you, I buy good quality quilt weight fabric from quilt shops. I thought about "how do I buy fabric"? I buy by the color, not by the design, which made it so much easier to use what I have. All fabric is on open shelves (3) huge bakers racks, where I can easily see and access each piece, it is arranged by color. By arranging this way, I found I will use what I have instead of going out shopping. Look at it this way, the less time shopping, the more time you have to sew.
    Join a stash busters class at your local shop - great way to use fabric. Teach a class and have fabric packets for the students for a few dollars. One day I screwed up a drafted pattern, I apologized and gave everyone a yard of fabric from my stash!
    keep a tally of all the money you don't spend and go to a quilt camp with fabric from your stash - A Challange. Good Luck, Teresa-Teresa's Quilt Studio

I don't only have a problem with too much fabric, but also too many craft supplies, and also too many books. And my husband and I are getting ready to move into a retirement home.

Do you think there might be some long life pills? I might be able to use most of my stuff if I had 100 more years!
    I am really working hard at gathering stuff to give away, but then I think that I just might want to make something with much of it!

Bebe

Blog Entries
    I don't think there is a thing wrong with you. You have a healthy hobby of collecting fabrics. Can you please tell me what LQS stands for?

dsj

I so know the feeling, It is the most contagious case of beautiful cloth fever ever and it doesn't go away, I have had it for several years now. It gets worse when there is a quilt show around. I can't even get down the first isle before I start getting light headed, upset stomach, can't think straight symptoms. So I head for the food area to gather myself, drink some coffee, eat some chocolate, (it seems to calm me)then I'm okay and I can finish the day strong and broke. I just ask, How can they continue to make beautiful fabric?

LQS - Local Quilt Shop -- I am still waiting to hear what your problem is, I haven't heard a thing yet that sounds like a problem. Please explain...

dsj

oh yeah, I forgot to say because it is so beautiful I haven't used one piece of it that I have bought from the quilt shows or stores. I just sit and look at it. I am to scared to cut it up. I need to buy ugly fabric. That might be the cure.

dsj

I guess we are all normal then, I really don't feel like I have a problem, I do love it after all. I'm normal Yippee!!!!!

I say just relax and enjoy it! :)

Jan, I so the same thing. I've been going through my scraps for a couple of months now. I just finished a quilt using some of them but it doesn't even look like I made a dent. Some of my fabric is really pretty. But, like you, I look at some of them & think, What posessed you to buy this one? I keep thinking I'll do better, not buy so much. But, I've been thinking that for the last 20 years! Oh well. I have to go to Houston today. I'm sure I'll stop by a fabric store...I'm a hopeless case! :)

I think that it is positively marvelous that we ALL have the same symptoms of a disease that seems to enhance our life. Think of it this way, if we stopped BUYING fabric, quilt shops would have to close their doors and we certainly would not want THAT to happen. The more scraps, the more quilts we have made. Scraps make great quilts and smaller projects. My problem continues to be "organizing" them but I have started, I have started, I have started......

We're all fabric hoarders. Just thank God it's not dogs or cats you can't resist!

Blog Entries
    LOL, I started quilting over a year ago and didn't understand when they started talking about stash. Then when they explained I thought well I will never do that one project at a time and all that jazz. Yeah that went out the window after my first quilt....but if you need any of your stash to go to good homes we will all be MORE than glad to help. We will even share pictures of what we made from your stash. OK dreaming we all have stash and it is NEVER enough, there is always something beautiful out their calling our name. Enjoy every minute of it!

You made me feel better, I only have 11 bins and one three drawer stacker (that's only what I have in the garage). I keep trying to convince myself I am on a "buying hiatus" but I have to keep turning in those coupons to stay on JoAnn's mailing list. They make me do it, honest! And that fabric just jumps in my cart! Honest! :oops:

You are a fabricoholic. Welcome to the meeting of fabricoholics. We all have that problem to some degree or another. I go through spells where I can be ruthless when it comes to getting rid of pieces of cloth....then there is the rest of the time....SIGH! If you truly have too much (and only you would know for sure) you are in good company!

Ditter

Its only a problem if it bothers you I think. If its bothering you then regardless of what anyone says it is a problem. There is the old saying "There is a difference between wants and needs" What we want is one thing what we NEED is another. Do you need all that fabric? Do you have the means to purchase a bit more otherwise if you shared? would hanging onto it feel as good as sharing some with someone else who might have a need? (especially since you can then replenish it with something new stock?).. I look at everyones stash and think OOHH MAN. WOULDNT THAT BE WONDERFUL? I have a fairly small stash in quilters terms. That said I just moved boxs and boxs of household stuff. And I can tell you truthfully I am THANKFUL that yesterday I had only a bit of sewing stuff to move. 15 would have had my husband coming after me with a noose and the truck would be full, we would arrive and have nothing else but fabric (ok to a quilter whats wrong with that?).. At my peak I had six tubs of fabric and felt like I had a TON. Now its 1 tub of real fabric (quilters) and one tub of upholstry craft fabrics.. which is more than I have had in a very very long time.

Blog Entries
    Do you have any red hat material. I'll be glad to by it from you. I want to do some red hat things and can't find the material. Please help.

Cookie

I feel I am using fabrics as insulation for my house. :-P I am trying to use up from my stash;but when I want to make a quilt for someone and ask them what they like; it is always some about something that I don't already have fabric for. I try to make some quilts in a theme that matches the person. So I end up shopping again.
    My name is Elaine and I am a fabricaholic.

Don't worry you have been vacinated with fabric and there is no cure just regular doses of fabric from now on.

AHHHHHHHHHH, that usually happens to me, but recently I was asked to make a Boston Red Socks quilt for a (1) year old. I am a Yankee Fan! Well, my first instinct was to go out and buy baseball fabric, my local quilt shop rolled her eyes and said they didn't have it. That was my challange. I went to my rack and pulled every white and red fabric I owned and made baseballs using the feather stitch as the stitching on the ball. The quilt is fabulous, I am taking it on a lecture and a curved piecing class sample I am teaching and then I am giving it to the 18 month old for a gift in february.
    In other words, don't fall into the trap like I almost did. Think beyond the box, I know you have the creative juices and everything you need.

You're not alone. I have way too much fabric. Fabric keeps getting more expensive. We're investing in our sewing futures. :-D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast